Humanitarian MEAL Advisor
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
DanChurchAid (DCA) is looking for a dynamic and experienced MEAL Advisor with strong technical skills in monitoring and evaluation, and proven record of supporting programme quality and learning.
DCA is a multi-mandated organisation with almost 100 years tradition of supporting the world’s poorest in their struggle for a dignified life and helping those whose lives are threatened. We provide emergency relief in disaster-stricken areas and long-term development assistance in poor regions to create a more equitable and sustainable world. DCA is active in Africa, Asia and the Middle East with presence in 17 countries, working to achieve its 3 global goals Save Lives, Build Resilient Communities and Fighting Extreme Inequality reflecting its work across the areas of humanitarian response, development and human rights. DCA is known for its rights-based approach and its commitment to work through local partners, which comprises a large portion of its portfolio of more than 250 projects.
The selected candidate will join the Strategy and Quality Management unit at DCA’s headquarters in Copenhagen. DCA is in the process of revising its global MEAL approach, and in 2021 DCA will develop a new global strategy and starting a new programme period in several countries. This will further consolidate DCA’s nexus approach drawing on capacities across humanitarian, development and increasingly peacebuilding disciplines, alongside DCA’s core capacities in humanitarian response and mine action. DCA was previously HAP-certified and has been CHS-certified since 2017, and is eager to consolidate its Listen, Learn, Act approach, which provides a structured approach for beneficiary feedback on its performance against CHS standards. Mobile data collection is commonplace across DCA programmes on various platforms (Kobo, Magpi), but there is ongoing need for support in application of statistical data analysis tools.
Reporting to the SQM head of unit, and working in close collaboration with the senior MEAL advisor, the selected candidate will play an important role in supporting the development of DCA’s global MEAL approach, while providing quality technical advice to programme teams across the international department in Copenhagen and to country programme teams in DCA’s implementing countries.
Technical & Advisory Support:
- Support the development of MEAL components during proposal development processes with colleagues in HQ and Country Offices.
- Support the development of and set up monitoring and evaluation frameworks at project or programme start-up as required, including:
- Developing systems for proper input, storage and appropriate use of data to track project and programme performance.
- Supporting all aspects of data collection and analysis, including survey design, data analysis and development of reporting tools for DCA Country Offices and partners to fulfill project and programme MEAL requirements.
- Promoting use of feedback mechanisms to facilitate community involvement in designing and adjusting project plans
- Designing evaluation approaches to support evidence, learning and accountability of project and programme performance.
- Support DCA staff and partners with ongoing needs for MEAL technical advice at all stages programme and project implementation.
- Assist DCA staff and partners in building their capacity in the areas of MEAL including the development of indicators, digital data collection, analysis and interpretation of data for use by decision makers.
Global Systems Support:
- Supporting development and rollout of DCA’s global MEAL approach, standards and related tools and guidance and corresponding training material.
- Support in development and rollout of DCA’s key outcome indicators.
- Support in conducting analysis and synthesizing data for global annual reporting.
- Lead in consolidation and rollout of practices to ensure beneficiary feedback.
- Lead in development of a global approach for DCA to measure global reach of its projects to beneficiaries.
- Support in the development and rollout of support and capacity for statistical data analysis across DCA.
- Support in coordination and facilitation of DCA’s MEAL-Data community of practice.
- Support the development of a learning culture in DCA.
- Availability for frequent travels to DCA´s country programmes.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Post graduate degree in related field to humanitarian, disaster management, statistics, and/or research.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in dedicated MEAL roles for humanitarian and development organisations.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in developing logical design tools and monitoring frameworks.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in monitoring and evaluation methods, both qualitative and quantitative, participatory and statistical sampling.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret data and produce clear and concise reports for internal and external audiences.
- Experience with business analytics tools such as Power BI or other relevant statistical analytics tools (Stata, SPSS, R).
- Demonstrable skills and experience in workshop facilitation and training.
- Have experience from extended periods of work in development countries and/or humanitarian situations.
- Knowledge of working with a rights based approach.
- Excellent communication skills in English is necessary – knowledge of the Danish and French language an advantage.
- Availability for frequent travels to other countries, up to a maximum of 8 weeks per year.
- Self-driven, organised and results oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively at all levels and across cultures.
- Capacity for conceptual and analytical thinking.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
- Working effectively in teams.
- Contract starting as soon as possible
- Excellent colleagues in a rewarding and empowering work place
- Salary based on DCA’s collective agreement – incl. pension scheme
- Work time is 37 hours per week including lunch break
- An interesting and challenging opportunity to strengthen and further develop one of Denmark’s largest Humanitarian and Development NGOs
How to apply:
The place of work will be at DanChurchAid’s headquarters, Meldahlsgade 3, 1613 Copenhagen V, Denmark.
When applying, you are kindly requested to attach a copy of relevant certificates, together with your CV and motivation letter that clearly demonstrates experience of competencies as required. Please note all qualifications will be verified. Please apply through our recruitment system here: Humanitarian MEAL Advisor (noedhjaelp.dk)
All qualified and interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Only applicants with the ability to live and work in Copenhagen without financial support or visa support from DCA will be considered.
Deadline for applications is 11th February 2021. Interviews is expected in week 8.
For further information about this position contact Karen Birgitte Rasmussen, Head of Strategy and Quality Management unit on email: email@example.com
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding policy.
DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us.
Apply to Job