Health cluster co-coordinator (M/F) - Iraq/Kurdistan
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Iraq since the 1990s.
In 2014, with the arrival of ISIL, MdM started to provide immediate healthcare support through curative and preventive care including MHPSS services to IDPs and host communities in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I). Later, MdM expanded its support to the most vulnerable IDPs and host communities outside of the KR-I region, in Kirkuk Governorate in July 2015, and in Ninewa Governorate in April 2016. Since 2018, MdM has developed a program where activities are gradually handed over to the MoH.
The current program focuses on supporting the local health authorities in providing quality PHC services (including mental health and psychosocial support and gender based violence response) and continues to strengthen the capacities of local public health authorities in Dohuk, Kirkuk and Ninewa governorates, to provide quality care and respond to health needs of IDPs, returnees and vulnerable host communities.
Since May 2020, MdM is co-coordinating the sub-national health cluster in Kirkuk Governorate alongside WHO. In 2021, MdM intends to support the health cluster by creating a new position of health cluster co-coordinator.
The health cluster strives to build upon existing coordination structures making health action as local as possible to provide timely, effective and appropriate actions to minimize the health impacts of humanitarian and public health emergencies through strengthening of service delivery, addressing gaps, and promoting effective leadership.
Working with national counterparts, the health cluster is responsible for facilitating and coordinating the engagement of partners to deliver quality programs and services to meet humanitarian needs, improve accountability and to promote meaningful access, safety and dignity in all phases of the health cluster response. The health cluster team, led by the health cluster coordinator, are the impartial representatives of the cluster as a whole and are responsible for the day-to-day coordination and facilitation of the work of the cluster.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In close collaboration with the health cluster coordinator, you support the implementation of the humanitarian health response in Iraq. You ensure that partners participate and commit to the health cluster by placing affected populations at the centre of decision-making and action.
You work closely with the health cluster coordinator and you report directly to the MdM general coordinator in Iraq. You do not represent MdM as an organization, you represent all health cluster members.
Your main responsibilities are:
- Make contact and establish regular communication with health cluster stakeholders
- Co-chair regular coordination meetings with country health cluster partners, as well as emergency meetings (SAG, Covid-19 taskforce, etc.) and meetings focusing on specific topics
- Support the information management unit by training the partners in collecting information to update the evaluation and monitoring tools and ensure partners' active contribution
- Assess and monitor the availability and quality of health services, based on information provided by all health actors using specific tools (quality of care, health resources availability mapping system, PHIS) and conduct online surveys
- With the cluster coordinator, lead the humanitarian needs overview (by coordinating inter-cluster needs assessment) and the humanitarian response plan
- Ensure that partners report to the early warning, alert and response network (EWARN) and support any emergency preparedness and response initiatives
- Contribute to the analysis of health information and data to identify gaps and lead cluster partners towards agreeing on the adaptation of the health crisis response strategy when needed
- Inform the cluster lead agency (CLA) representative of priority gaps that cannot be covered by any health cluster partner and require CLA action
- Support the development of monthly health cluster bulletins and other situation reports
- Represent the health cluster in the inter-cluster coordination group (ICCG), participate in HCT and emergency cell meetings as required
- Support the integration of health issues in the humanitarian response plan (HRP), Iraq humanitarian fund (IHF) allocation strategies and other interagency planning and funding processes
- Develop strategic and technical guidelines and promote adherence to standards and best practices by all health cluster partners ; coordinate dissemination of these guidelines with partners
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 6 months
Starting date : as soon as possible
Gross monthly salary: 3 073 euros
Based in Erbil with regular travels to the field
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by Modem and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Advanced university degree (Master's level or above) in public health, medicine or international health or related fields
At least 5 to 6 years extensive experience in humanitarian setting and coordination mechanism
Experience in managing and coordinating health programs in chronic, acute and sudden-onset emergencies in at least 3 different contexts
Significant experience of health cluster coordination either as a coordinator or key contributing partner at national and sub-national level
Knowledge of relevant cross cutting and cross sectoral issues is an asset, including protection, gender, WASH, etc.
Substantive experience in developing and promoting collaborative partnerships in emergency and humanitarian relief operations, coordination, representation and negotiation
Experience in collaboration with donors, preparing and reviewing successful funding proposals
Experience in Iraq and knowledge of the Iraq health system is an asset
Knowledge and understanding of the UN health cluster system
Excellent demonstrated communication and negotiation skills
Excellent writing skills (assessments, reports,...)
Ability to convene stakeholders and facilitate a policy process among UN, national and international NGOs, national health authorities and donors
Strong problem-solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations
Flexibility, and able to adjust to changing context and situations
Languages: Fluent English (written and spoken). Arabic, Kurdish or French are an asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
How to apply:
To apply, click on the following link : http://www.jobs.net/j/JEQdLHJS?idpartenaire=128
Apply to Job