Director of Fundraising and Communications
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Jusoor (meaning ‘bridges’ in Arabic) is an international non-governmental organization with the mission of “Investing in Syria’s Youth for a Better Tomorrow”. Founded in 2011 by a group of Syrian expatriates, Jusoor is a leading global actor in educational and entrepreneurial programs for Syrian children and youth. To date, Jusoor has enabled more than 650 Syrian students to complete their university education and enrolled 7,000 children in its education centers in Lebanon. It has also supported more than 500 youth entrepreneurs to start and grow their businesses.
Jusoor’s online learning program in Lebanon has been recognized by UNHCR and UNESCO as one of the most promising 2020 education tech innovations for refugee learners. Jusoor’s work has been further recognized with the Takreem Humanitarian and Civic Services Award in 2017 and the prestigious Institute of International Education (IIE) Centenary Medal in 2019.
Jusoor believes in the power of people to bring about extraordinary change. Leading the fundraising team, you will help Jusoor achieve its mission to advance opportunities for Syrians around the world by shaping how Jusoor funds its initiatives and communicates with donors. The fundraising function is vital in helping Jusoor achieve its strategic objectives. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to work across the organization with a variety of team members as a thought partner, strategy developer, and creator and implementer of fundraising initiatives.
The Director of Fundraising and Communications leads the fundraising and communications teams for Jusoor – managing a small team of staff and external contractors to raise funds and visibility for Jusoor’s work globally. Jusoor currently raises around two million USD annually and aims to expand this to over five million within the next three years. As an efficient and high impact organization, Jusoor prides itself on consistently achieving a minimum 85% spend of the donations directly on its programs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Executive Director and Board to develop the vision and strategy for Jusoor’s fundraising and communications efforts;
- Identify and manage the development of funding opportunities and funding pipelines;
- Efficiently manage a portfolio of major donors, maintain and ensure quality, accuracy and confidentiality of donor data;
- Maximize outcome from Jusoor’s existing private supporters and network of foundations and companies to continuously develop Jusoor’s organisational capabilities for fundraising;
- Lead the coordination of fundraising events;
- Identify, qualify and cultivate major donors facilitating deeper and lasting relationships between the Jusoor and the donor through 1:1 meetings, calls, letters and engagement activities, communicate strategically with donors to gain additional funding;
- Acts as a critical filter for the prospects in funding opportunities, bids, and philanthropic partnerships;
- Oversee the running of campaigns at strategically relevant times;
- Work closely with the board to mobilize leads and funding for Jusoor, integrating them into donor engagement strategy;
- Manage the fundraising department to ensure clear roles and responsibilities;
- Working with the program teams, ensure that partner inputs are solicited and incorporated into the design phase of new projects and proposals wherever possible;
- Lead Jusoor’s external and project-related communications, managing Jusoor’s Communication Manager to execute activities;
- Provide strategic direction for the Communications and Fundraising of Jusoor, including annual strategies, budgets, work plans and board presentations.
Required Skills, Experience and Abilities
The organization is seeking a results-oriented person motivated to raise funds for Jusoor, someone who is a natural and genuine relationship builder. The ideal candidate has:
- 6-10 years working in fundraising and or communications in the non-profit sector;
- Passion for Jusoor’s vision of investing in young Syrians to build a better tomorrow;
- A track record of securing significant gifts from individual and institutional donors;
- Experience in development and writing winning technical proposals for institutional funders;
- Proficiency in donor databases and maintenance of records;
- Strong experience stewarding donors and knowledge of portfolio management;
- Demonstrated experience in managing people, processes and deadlines to achieve fundraising goals;
- Strong “client service” orientation and interpersonal as well as negotiation skills, quantitative and analytical skills, and written/verbal communication skills which result in relationships with donors and increased giving;
- Strong writing skills that convey mission, values, and goals in ways compelling to our supporters;
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills for developing fundraising and communications strategies;
- A proven track record in successfully securing grants from major donors, corporations, and individual partnerships and trusts, and skilled in establishing and managing relationships and partnerships with private and institutional donors and other counterparts;
- Knowledge of IT, new media for communications and fundraising and experience in managing a communications function;
- Well-organized, detailed-oriented and capable of handling confidential information with utmost discretion;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, deal with ambiguity and the ability to reset priorities quickly if needed;
- Demonstrated leadership experience in an NGO setting, including strategy development and detailed coordination;
- Can-do spirit and the ability to lead people effectively;
- Self-motivated, disciplined and able to think strategically;
- Ability to work occasional non-standard hours including evening and weekends;
- Excellent computer skills.
How to apply:
Interested in this role? To find out more and to apply please visit: https://oxfordhr.co.uk/jobs/director-of-fundraising-and-communications/
Jusoor is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a welcoming work environment. Jusoor does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation. People with disabilities and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.
Apply to Job