Consultancy on Training on Modern Beekeeping Techniques in West Pokot, Kenya
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS – Consultancy on Training on Modern Beekeeping Techniques in West Pokot, Kenya
Please see complete REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS and BIDDING DOCUMENTS at the following link:
Tender No: REF: WP – CEFA01
LETTER OF INVITATION TO SUBMIT TECHNICAL AND FINANCIAL PROPOSALS****
(Name of consultant)
Re: Consultancy on Training on Modern Beekeeping Techniques in West Pokot County
The European Committee for Training and Agriculture (Comitato Europeo per la Formazione e l’Agricoltura - CEFA) is an Italian NGO who has worked in Kenya since 1993 transiting through, Humanitarian response interventions, livelihood support, Food Security, Infrastructure Development, Agriculture and Rural Development, during the last 30 years. **
CEFA invites you to submit technical and financial proposals in accordance with the documents attached to this letter and the annexed Terms of References (TOR). The Client intends to hire a consulting firm or a no-profit organization (the “***Consultant***”) to provide consulting services on Training on Modern Beekeeping Techniques in West Pokot County
The Consultant may sub-contract selected activities provided that said services do will not exceed 20% of the total consultancy work.
A firm will be selected under the *Quality and Cost-Based Selection (QCBS) *method **
TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR) FOR BEEKEEPING INDIVIDUAL/CONSULTANCY FIRM/TRAINER IN WEST POKOT COUNTY *
TITLE OF THE ACTION:
TRAINING ON MODERN BEEKEEPING TECHNIQUES IN WEST POKOT COUNTY
LOCATIONS OF THE ACTION: WEST POKOT COUNTY, KENYA
DURATION OF THE ACTION: 4 WEEKS
OBJECTIVES OF THE ACTION: PRACTICAL AND THEORY TRAININGS FOR BEEKEEPING FARMERS IN WEST POKOT COUNTY
OVERVIEW OF THE PROJECT
The trainer/individual consultancy is part of the EU funded project “Support to Resilience for Sustainable Livelihoods “led by Northern Rangeland Trust with a consortium of other 4 NGOs: CEFA, E4IMPACT, Sominerec and AMREF.
The overall objective of the action is to contribute towards increased resilience of communities to drought and other effects of climate change in ASAL areas of Kenya. The specific objectives of the action are 1. to enhance food and nutrition security of vulnerable households, especially for women and children in West Pokot County; 2. to generate sustainable livelihoods and protect productive assets in West Pokot County.
Under this project, CEFA is going to implement a livelihood component with a focus on mango, horticulture and honey production. In order to enhance agricultural productivity with focus on honey production, CEFA plans to train 200 beekeeping farmers. The objective of this intervention will be enhancing their productivity and value chain and thus improving their nutritional status and income generation.
OBJECTIVES OF TRAINING FOR BEEKEEPING FARMERS IN WEST POKOT COUNTY
The specific objectives of the consultancy are to:
Prepare comprehensive training material (including manuals and handouts).
Prepare and organize training sessions.
To train 200 beekeeping farmers on effective equipment handling, bee management, honey harvest and processing.
Train 30 community inspectors on beehive handling, follow up and harvesting.
Provide modern beekeeping equipment demonstration sessions for effective usage for safety and improve honey production line.
Build the capacity of the beekeeping farmers on hygiene practices, consumer education sessions and product marketing advertisement techniques.
To conduct continuous monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of the beekeeping training for the farmers.
Offer any technical assistance required even after the expiry of the contract
The training will utilize a wide range of methods blended with demonstration and practical sessions to ensure knowledge is imparted, learners remain interested and enhances knowledge retention for participants with low literacy skills and relevant to the context.
The training organization will therefore consider different methods to improve the capacity and skill of trainees through:
• Short lectures
• Slide shows and videos
• Questions and answers
• Open discussions
• Individual & group exercises
• Field visits, tours and practical sessions.
• 200 beekeeping farmers be trained for beekeeping techniques including bee management, effective handling of equipment, processing and preserving bee bye-products
• 200 beekeeping farmers be trained on modern beekeeping equipment, usage and handling
• Increased skills on theory and practical knowledge, self-engagement and as well improve local beekeeping farmers livelihoods
• Expansion of local and external markets for honey products
• Support and uplift the capacity of the beekeeping farmers on consumers approach, marketing and sensitization of the importance of honey and other bee bye-products.
• Enhance the capacity of the farmers to follow up and monitor the entire apiculture value chain for sustained production
• Formation of a community beekeepers’ group or Identify and train one entrepreneur who will manage the processing unit and help in collective marketing and sustainability of the beekeeping activity.
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The local consultant will be responsible in preparing training Programme on beekeeping for the trainees and conduct trainings, particularly:
• Organize class lectures on different topics of beekeeping management and development
• Arrange tours and visits to the different beekeeping fields
• Organize practical works on different beekeeping kits/tools
• Organize practical works on different beekeeping fields
• Management of bees in different seasons: –
Process of pollen
Process of Royal jelly
Process of Honey
Pest and Diseases control
The consultant is expected to:
• Submit an inception report detailing training content and methodology (including theory, practical and kit usage)
• Submit a detailed work plan and estimated budget of the beekeeping training
• Share detailed training modules and curriculum
• Field level theoretical training for 200 beekeeping farmers
• Final completion report of the beekeeping training.
University degree in agriculture/apiculture or related field such as zoo technician, veterinary, forestry etc.
At least 4 years of working experience and qualification with background on apiculture related activities.
Experience in facilitating trainings on beekeeping and participated in study tours about the beekeeping and apiculture in West Pokot.
Experience on marketing and promotions of beekeeping products;
Competent and possess practical skills in bee handling abilities in all situations, colony reading, Preparation and assessment of honeybee products and Disease diagnosis and knowledge of the correct remedies
Excellent communication and writing skills in English and Swahili languages.
How to apply:
Submission Procedure: Please submit your Technical and Financial Proposal using the forms provided for this purpose within this Request for Proposals (RFP). Your proposal should comprise one (1) original and one (1) copy of both the technical and financial proposals to the address provided below.**
The Technical and Financial proposals shall be submitted no later than 5.00pm EAT of 26 Jan 2021 to the address below:**
CEFA Regional Office in Nairobi
Brookside Close, off Brookside Drive
Attn: Mohamed Bare – CEFA Project Manager
Or alternatively to the following email address:
Apply to Job