Conservation Finance Specialist
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Programs - Pact strives for a world where all people are heard, capable, and vibrant. The Programs Team helps realize this objective by bridging program management, technical support, and business development, enabling Pact to achieve its global strategy. We ensure program excellence through continuous learning, monitoring and evaluation and provide organizational and industry-wide thought leadership by leveraging a complementary set of cross-functional, multi-disciplinary skills, expertise, and experiences. The Programs team: influences progressive change through the development and implementation of global and regional strategies and business plans; supports advancement of innovative solutions; pursues new business opportunities; and drives effective internal and external engagement to maximize Pact’s impact across the globe. Across all aspects of its role, the Programs Department adheres to and promotes a culture of inclusion, accountability, and respect.
Pact seeks a Conservation Finance Specialist for the anticipated USAID-funded West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emissions Development (WABILED) Activity to support commitments on conservation and sustainable management of the region’s biodiversity. WABILED aims to promote biodiversity conservation and climate resilient, low-emissions development in the forest ecosystems of West Africa and improve governance and policy over critical natural and human systems. WABILED will increase the capacity of institutions at all levels to reduce wildlife trafficking, deforestation, and forest degradation, establish and strengthen management of conservation areas in biodiverse landscapes, and improve land use to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions. This Activity will also explore private sector opportunities for achieving biodiversity and sustainable landscape objectives. It will be implemented across Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) member countries, with field work in terrestrial transboundary landscapes of Mano River Union countries (Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Côte d’Ivoire).
The Conservation Finance Specialist will work with stakeholders to increase financial investment in support of achieving national and regional conservation goals. S/he will provide direction for development of regional and country level strategies for partnerships that mobilize both private and public capital for conservation and sustainable land management and that incorporate landscape investment principles into business models.
The role will also require representing the Activity at meetings and events as required, and managing relationships with relevant USAID implementing partners and private sector partners.
S/he will develop a range of initiatives and investment products including but not limited to:
- Map drivers for economic value created through sustainable land use and other conservation activities, including private sector cashflow modeling
- Conceptualize, design and structure a range of products with different risk profiles to market to investors with specific risk tolerances
- Structure green finance mechanisms with investors and other relevant stakeholders
- Undertake natural capital and ecosystem services valuation alongside government and business entities
- Increase green financing opportunities in the region by identifying and supporting opporutnities for sustainable forestry and agriculture production approaches
- Increase opportunity for forest conservation, restoration offset trading
- Work with the public sector to identify key areas to improve supportive policy environment for ESG investments
- Master’s degree in economics, business administration, and/or equivalent transactional experience either structuring investment vehicles or making direct investments (CFA or equivalent).
- Working experience/Strong familiarity with conservation finance vehicles (REDD+, Payment for Ecosystem Services, impact bonds, etc.).
- 5+ years demonstrated experience working with stakeholders, at regional, national and local levels, to promote alternative finance, innovative business models, livelihoods interventions, sustainable income generation.
- Experience in Western Africa, especially in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Cote d’Ivoire.
- French and English proficiency required.
- Strong working knowledge of alternative finance trends and ESG investment standards, innovative deal structures and investment vehicles in global development, and preferably in biodiversity conservation.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the contract.
- Understanding of financial management and ability to identify and propose strategies on risk management and mitigation
- Sound knowledge of financial management, analysis, and reporting
- Experience with transactional agreements and drafting terms for contractual documentation
- A very good understanding of the biodiversity conservation sector
- Experience with USAID-funded programs.
- Qualified ECOWAS country nationals
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
How to apply:
Please click here to apply for this position.
Apply to Job