Communications Officer onboard the Ocean Viking and onshore
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
SOS MEDITERRANEE is a European civil association for the rescue of people in distress at sea, founded in 2015. Facing a humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity on the central Mediterranean, the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to: rescue persons in distress at sea, protect and assist them, bear witness to the realities and many faces of migration. Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland) sharing the same mandate. Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out since February 2016 in the central Mediterranean off the Libyan coast, first with the ship Aquarius, and, since July 2019 with the Ocean Viking, both chartered by SOS MEDITERRANEE and operated in partnership with Médecins sans Frontières. SOS MEDITERRANEE operates the Ocean Viking in-dependently since April 2020. Since February 2016, the teams on the Aquarius and the Ocean Viking have been able to rescue and assist more than 31000 persons. The operations cost today around 7 M€ per year and are financed mostly by private donations.
The Communications Officer is part of the SOS MEDITERRANEE team aboard the rescue vessel Ocean Viking. S/he is responsible for SOS MEDITERRANEE’s operational communications on board. S/he also works in the Operations Headquarters (in Marseille if possible or remotely) in-between field missions.
Under the supervision of the Operational Communications Manager and of the Search and Rescue Coordinator, the Communications Officer implements the SOS MEDITERRANEE’s communications projects on board, is the main focal point for the embedded media and produces content for the SOS MEDITERRANEE’s press releases, social media channels and website. S/he is in charge of the on-board photographer/videographer.
The Communications Officer will rotate with two other communications counterparts. S/he will alternate missions at sea, compensation onshore time-off and work in the Operations department in HQ (in Marseille if possible, or remotely).
Working language on-board and within the organisation is English.
Tasks on board
- Is responsible for all communications-related matters on board the Ocean Viking under the supervision of the Search and Rescue Coordinator and of the Operations Communications Manager.
- Provides regular content to be used externally (social media content, photos, videos, texts).
- Conducts interviews with rescued individuals on board.
- Supervises media interviews of team members onboard.
- Conducts media briefings and trainings for the team onboard.
- Provides regular and fast internal updates on the situation on board, on rescue operations and on the context of operations from the ship.
- Is the main contact on board for embedded media regarding SOS MEDITERRANEE’s search and rescue operations.
- Acts as a spokesperson onboard.
- Actively supports on-going rescue operations. Acts as a “shadow” for the medical team during emergency situations.
Assist the Operational communications department in
- internal communications matters: draft daily updates, weekly operations newsletter; monitor news/social media/context;
- external communications matters: draft social media content, press releases, organize interviews with spokespeople;
- other tasks upon request
- Master’s degree in journalism, communications, political science, international relations, humanitarian affairs, human rights.
- Substantial experience in the field of media/communications, especially in humanitarian and emergency contexts.
- Previous experience with a humanitarian organisation and/or maritime organisations.
- Ability to produce photo and video material on board. Video editing is a plus.
- Excellent writing and language skills.
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken).
- Ability to cope with stress and work in an environment where team security is a top priority.
- Command of social media.
- Extensive knowledge of the geopolitical context of search and rescue operations in the central Mediterranean.
- High sense of teamwork. High sense of responsibility. High sense of flexibility. Detail- oriented.
- You are empathic and able to adapt to the situations on board and are willing to help in case of an emergency and where possible with day-to-day jobs when necessary.
- Good command of French, German, Italian or Arabic is an asset.
- Contract: 6-month contract (renewable).
- Salary: based on profile and experience.
- Position based on board the Ocean Viking for 3 to 6 weeks and in SOS MEDITERRANEE’s Operations HQs in Marseille. Possibility of teleworking when onshore.
- Starting date: February/March 2021.
- SOS MEDITERRANEE covers travel expenses from/to Ocean Viking (public transportation and plane).
- SOS MEDITERRANEE covers costs on board.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this offer, please send us your CV and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications submissions until: February 4th
Apply to Job