Communications and Media Officer - GOAL Syria in Amman, Jordan
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has worked in Syria since 2013, providing food assistance, piped potable water, and emergency relief for thousands of conflict-affected host and displaced communities. With several field offices in Idleb Governorate and a sub-office in Aleppo’s Azaz District, GOAL currently delivers Food Security, WASH (Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene), and Emergency Response programmes across Northwest Syria.
In addition to more than 500 humanitarian workers who deliver aid and support in the field, around 100 national and international staff members manage GOAL’s programming in Syria from offices in Turkey and Jordan, with technical and administrative support from GOAL’s global advisors.
The GOAL Syria Communications and Media Officer is responsible for ensuring that GOAL’s programmes and operations in Northwest Syria are supported with timely and high-quality programme communications, visibility, and corporate information tools and products. The role also contributes to media content acquisition and visual or audio-visual production processes, supports GOAL Syria’s internal communications initiatives, and leads on media monitoring efforts.
Duties, Objectives, and Competencies
- Programme Communications (40%);
- Help plan, execute, and assess GOAL’s programme communications activities in Northwest Syria;
- Oversee, and as needed execute, content management for existing and new online platforms administered by the Communications and Media Department;
- Support GOAL’s representation with local authorities.Media (30%);
- Support the coordination of field-based content acquisition and archiving processes;
- Cooperate with the GOAL Head Office Communications Team in the development of content packages for GOAL’s global public information and fundraising campaigns;
- Regularly monitor, and report on, relevant third-party content disseminated on regional news outlets and local social media platforms or profiles;
- Internal Communications (15%);
- Support internal communications efforts and contribute to content management, including by regularly editing copy in Arabic and, as needed, drafting content;
- Assist in the organization of consultation or other networking events and in the implementation of administrative or office-related initiatives in Jordan;
- Coordination (15%);
- Help oversee the Communications and Media Department’s work-plan, and undertake departmental administrative initiatives as needed;
- Represent the Communications and Media Department in inter-departmental coordination meetings at the host-country-office level;
- GOAL Syria’s programme communications, visibility, and corporate information activities, products, and tools are diversified;
- GOAL Syria’s media monitoring activities are strengthened;
- GOAL Syria Communications and Media Department’s intra-departmental and inter-departmental coordination processes are streamlined;
- Organization skills, including the ability and willingness to take part in the management and execution of defined intra- and inter-departmental work processes within an international environment;
- Coordination skills, including the ability to prioritize and deprioritize tasks in a context of competing requests;
- Representation and partnership skills, including the ability to act tactfully in business encounters and in external relations;
- Citizen of Jordan;
- Bachelor’s degree in a Communications or Arts discipline, including Mass Communications, Media, Journalism, Public Relations;
- Communications and Design, Cinema and TV, Visual Design, Multimedia, or similar;
- At least 2 years of experience in a relevant field of work or similar role/s;
- Experience in collecting, collating, and organizing complex information gathered from multiple sources to produce accessible communications tools and products;
- Formal training or hands-on experience in art direction, including in leading on layout and typography for large-scale display items and for print and/or interactive information products;
- Excellent editorial and content management skills, including in drafting colloquial as well as formal copy in Arabic;
- Fluent oral and written English and Arabic;
- Experience in visual and audio-visual pre-production, production, or post-production;
- Experience in a humanitarian or development agency;
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behavior protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behavior of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
How to apply:
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 19 Jan 2021
Apply to Job