CARE is looking for Area Finance Officer
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
CARE seeks a world of hope, inclusion and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. CARE provides cross-border humanitarian assistance in Syria, and refugee assistance within southern Turkey to people affected by the Syrian crisis. In response to CARE increased Syrian response cross-border humanitarian works the program is now endeavoring to undertake an inside NW Syria direct implementation to address humanitarian needs, enhance the quality of our programming and maximum response capacity and support to CARE’s partners. We are looking for a trustworthy, dynamic, innovative and resourceful person to join the Area office in the capacity of Finance Officer to be based in Jarablus, northern Aleppo, Syria.
The Area Finance officer will be member of the Area Office Finance team and report directly to the Area Finance Coordinator. The Finance officer will support the monthly Cash distribution and will be responsible to maintain efficient accounting /financial systems for Area office program operations. responsible for ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of financial accounting needs of CARE's Area office. The position mainly focuses on entering the data into the financial system PeopleSoft, verifying and filing the supporting documents, making the payments to the vendors, ensuring the Cash flow locally, supporting the audits for Area office-related parts.
The person is expected to have a great attention to details, good interpersonal skills, understanding, cooperative, organized, a high ability to work within a team to take initiative and skills in influencing to support policy and advocacy.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibility #1 Financial Data Entry and Compliance
· To work with Area staff to ensure that CARE standard operating procedures and financial monitoring systems are followed.
· Ensure reconciliation requirements are filled for cash grant accounts.
· Ensuring compliance with necessary legal and statutory financial reporting in country, recommending change to procedures where required.
· Liaise with the Finance team at CO for the timely processing of payments to suppliers.
· Work with PTT, local vendors as needed for payment and follow up.
· Review & reconcile physical cash to the cash tracking sheet daily, and to the cash book weekly; Monitor balances and liaise with Finance coordinator to ensure sufficient balances are maintained
· Manage the information-gathering process for results and performance financial reports, in addition to other briefings, summaries, papers, presentations, etc. for various financial audiences as needed.
· Anticipate and mitigate risks and trouble-shoot any unforeseen challenges during the project implementation.
· Enter the financial transactions into all modules of People Soft: accounts payable, Cash Management/Treasury, Accounts Receivable, General Ledger (uploads and manual entries) and ensure that each financial operation related to the Area office is properly booked in the system.
· Follow up and address all issues as relevant to make sure that entries go through and posted in the system timely. Validates the accuracy of chart field data – FC/PID/AID
· Ensure that the payment requests are processed timely and adequately to facilitate to the smooth implementation of operations and program activities related to the Area office.
· Liaise with the bank representatives for payment request and anything related with the bank accounts maintenance and the banking operations related to the Area office.
· Verify all incoming payment and liquidation requests for compliance with internal authorized signatory list to ensure that signature is valid before processing the request.
· Check all incoming support documentation for the compliance with internal and Donor Policies, rules and regulations.
· Verify completeness and compliance of support documentation package for procurement payment requests, project and travel advance or TER payments, project advance liquidations, rent and utility payment, Petty Cash replenishment requests.
· Follow up on all open advances on a monthly basis, and make sure that all open prepayments are liquidated on timely basis and offset vs prepayments.
· Support the SSC for questions related to the bank reconciliation on a monthly basis but prior to that reconcile the bank and cash on hand balance with the system data
· Enter adjusting transaction in different modules as advised by the finance directors, accounting coordinator or the SSC.
· Ensures proper filing and archiving of the financial documentation
· Ensure that all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the finance requirements in the cash based program and at the beginning of each new project
· Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability and CARE’s Framework on Accountability to Affected Populations
· Ensure lessons learned are documented, shared and reflected in project planning and decision making
· Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members
· Contribute to the drafting of project progress reports, ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical information provided.
Job Responsibility #2 Financial Audits & Documentation
· Work closely with CARE Country Office finance team for any type of Audits covering Area office operations
· Respond to any Audit query related to the Accounting records, and provide support in facilitating internal and external audit.
· Pull out the sampled transactions with all support documentation and clarify to the auditors any questions or queries.
· Ensure maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
· Ensure proper filing of monthly vouchers
· Review all documents submitted for payment to ensure proper procedures have been followed
· Coordinate resolution of issues raised during documentation and compliance checks with relevant departments and locations
Job Responsibility #1 Other Duties
· Collect needed information from different units and prepare monthly Cash projection for local payment needs for Area office operations.
· With support from the Accounting coordinator, ensure all Area office staff receive basic Finance induction on CARE's Finance policies and procedures.
· Provide coaching and capacity building to staff members as appropriate.
· Support on Finance oversight re Logistics manual finance requirements e.g. stock counts
· Assist Accounting coordinator in analysis of the balance sheet accounts as related to Area Office operations; ensure that errors in the booking are identified and corrected
· Assist Accounting coordinator in various other tasks as per request as related to Area office financial operations
· Comply with CARE policies and practices with respect to gender and diversity, child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, and equal opportunities.
· Any other duties as required
· University degree in Economics, Finance, Accounting, Business or relevant field.
· Financial Management qualification.
· At least 3 years of experience in humanitarian experience with at least 2 years in finance.
· Experience in using financial software.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment, in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
· Experience in do-no-harm approaches in a humanitarian context, preferably in Syrian context
· Experience in working with INGOs and fully understand accounting and financial system.
· Demonstrated understanding of and experience with policies, protocols, and procedures of international NGO’s and donor agencies.
· Proficient in USAID rules and regulations; prior experience working on USAID (including OFDA, FFP) funded programs preferred and other donors such as GFFO, ECHO, etc
· Can-Do Attitude
· Highly skilled in organizing large-scale, fast-paced, responsive field programs.
· Solid ability to provide team-building, coaching, and development for staff as well as encourage cross-functional collaboration and cooperation.
· Advanced professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, and knowledge of IT system.
· Excellent proven communication skills, including working with multiple stakeholder groups, including children.
· Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
· Excellent communication and influencing skills.
· Ability to handle a high workload and to work independently.
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
· The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
· Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure.
· Ability to work well in unstable and changing security environments.
· Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills.
· Strong skills in inter-personal communications, able to work effectively with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-actor environment.
· Strong skills in written communication, including effective report writing
· Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across a wide variety of cultural contexts.
· Ability to communicate ideas in a culturally-sensitive manner and conducive to their practical application
· Fluent in Arabic and highly desired to have advanced English language skills.
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to CARE Turkey, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. CARE Turkey is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse and Harassment Policy
CARE Turkey expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. CARE employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside CARE.
Employment is subject to the possession of valid identification documents (passport, residency card, temporary protection card, etc.) and successfully obtaining permission to work by the Government of Turkey (work permit). CARE will submit the work permit application on behalf of the selected candidate after the job offer accepted. Candidates can start to work for CARE only after the work permit is received. Failure to provide the required documents or rejection of a work permit application by the Government of Turkey will result in your employment offer being rescinded.
How to apply:
Interested candidates, please attach a Curriculum Vitae in English and a Cover letter (in a separate file of no more than one A4 page) describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post, following to provided link
Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Apply to Job