URGENT! SUDAN – WASH COORDINATOR (H/F) – GEDAREF
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Desired start date: ASAP**
Duration of the mission:** 6 months
Location: Gedaref, Sudan
ABOUT THE MISSION
Following heavy fighting between the Tigrayan Forces (TPLF) and the Ethiopian Armed Forces (EAF), many Ethiopians have fled the hostilities and sought refuge in eastern Sudan. In response to this current Ethiopian refugee crisis, SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL (SI) has decided to restart its activities in Soudan where it was operational in the past. SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL sent an Emergency Response Team and has already identified refugee settlements where it wishes to respond to urgent WASH needs. Today there are more than 50,000 refugees, most of whom are located in:
- Hamdayet (main entry zone)’s registration refugee area on the border between Eritrea, Sudan and Ethiopia where refugees are then transferred to designated camps;
- Village 8, a partially abandoned village where thousands of refugees have settled or transited and where SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL is starting an Emergency Wash Response;
- Umm Rakuba, located south of Gedaref, this camp was designated by the authorities to host 25 000 refugees, more than 15 000 refugees have already arrived;
- Tunaydbah, a second refugee camp designated by the authorities, 25 000 refugees will be relocated there once Umm Rakuba will have reached its limits. The coming rainy season will render Tunaydbah’s access difficult. The site is moreover far from ideal to install infrastructures (black oil soil). SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has identified this site to start additional WASH responses.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL intends to cover WASH gaps in the transit zone of Village 8 and implement WASH activities such as construction of latrines, showers, hygiene kits, hygiene promotion and desludging in the future Tunaydbah refugee camp.
Beside this emergency response, SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL is also willing to reopen a mission in Soudan and progressively adapt it to the current crisis.
Since SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has just reopened its mission in Sudan, Gedaref is its only base at the moment with a small Coordination (Country Director based in Khartoum and rest of the Coordination -Administrative Coordination, WASH Coordinator and Logistics Coordinator - mainly in Gedaref).
ABOUT THE JOB
The WASH coordinator contributes to the development of SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of WASH. He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations. He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country. He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
The main challenges:
- Kick-off and implementation of an emergency WASH response project, including recruitment and coordination activities
- This first WASH project is a foot in the door for our Sudan Mission, this initial activity should be the basis for the development of a larger mission
- It is SI’s desire to expand operations within the country, determination of where/when/what to assess in other parts of the country will be required
- Administrative processes in Sudan are long and includes a variety of steps, anticipation of needs is highly necessary
- Close collaboration with the Logistics and Administrative departments is required due to the Sudanese unstable economy and high inflation rate.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Initiate the project and recruit staff
- Reevaluate needs based on current activities and adjust as required
- Build relationship with active organizations as well as government officials present in the area for a multiple years strategy.
Specific skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in a field related to WASH interventions
- 2 years’ minimum experience required in WASH sector
- Previous experiences in the humanitarian field
- Autonomous, organized, ability to prioritize and to work under pressure
- Strong computer skills essential (Pack office, excel)
- Knowledge of working in black cotton soil would be a plus
- English (compulsory): fluent with excellent writing capacities
- Arabic (desired): fluent will be an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 2400 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 2640 euros gross per month) and a monthly Per Diem of approximatively 750 USD.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by SI). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract**.**
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
LIVING CONDITIONS: The candidate will be based in Gedaref. Living conditions are good. Staff has access to restaurants and can walk in the city during the day. If most of occidental products (food, clothing…) are easily accessible in Khartoum, it will not be the case in Gedaref.
How to apply:
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=PULFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NX4&nPostingTargetID=59110. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Apply to Job