NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
NRC currently has over 3,000 staff across the Middle East dedicated to assisting people affected by conflict in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Palestine. Its humanitarian interventions are based upon its programming expertise in the Core Competencies of Shelter, Education, Water and Sanitation Hygiene, Food Security, along with Information Counselling and legal Assistance (ICLA) to vulnerable displaced people that were forced to flee.
The Syrian Crisis is well into its seventh year, but the level and intensity of the conflict in the country remains high. Humanitarian and protection needs inside Syria are overwhelmingly resultant of the effects of the ongoing conflict in a complex emergency situation, in which displacement remains prevalent. According to the UNOCHA, 13.5 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance inside of Syria and millions have been forced to flee. Approximately 6.5 million people are IDPs - over one third of the total population, including those forced to leave the country, and more than 40% of the current population living inside the country.
Role and Responsibilities
The purpose of this position is to lead the strategic direction and strengthen the technical quality of the NRC’s Shelter programme, supporting the Shelter and WASH implementation at field level. The position involves travel within Syria.
The Shelter Specialist will:
- Ensure strategy and programme development with a focus on:
- Support the scale-up of the Syria Country Office Shelter programme.
- Explore and support the quality implementation of infrastructure projects
- Strengthen synergies with other CCs, particularly Education ( Creating Welcoming Schools)
- Strengthen synergies between the Shelter and Advocacy
- Co-operate and exchange with the regional office and other NRC Country Offices in the Middle East region, and contribute to global CC initiatives (e.g. Durable Solutions, Integrated programming, Cash and market-based programming, Data and technology) and attending relevant seminars
- Contribute to proposals and reports
- Provide technical support and foster collaboration with Shelter staff including regular visits to the Area Offices, provision of training and facilitation of the Shelter CC Workshops.
- Contribute to technical capacity building of shelter staff in the operation
- Undertake and document quality control and follow up, with a focus on:
- Needs assessments;
- Quality Assessment, technical standards and SOPs
- Monitoring and Evaluation, through harmonisation and strengthening of M&E tools and methodologies across the Shelter project teams;
- Safe programming.
- Represent NRC at relevant Syria-level inter-agency coordination and bilateral meetings as delegated by line manager.
Duty Station: Damascus, Syria
Duration: We offer up to a 12 month contract
Approved health certificate required prior to start
How to apply:
To apply visit our career site at nrc.no/careers or use the link here.
Apply to Job