Senior Communications Officer - Strategic Leadership
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The purpose of the Funder and External Engagement Unit is to increase the relevance of and double investment in CGIAR research through effective resource mobilization, communication, advocacy, and partnerships. In the context of CGIAR’s reformulation of its governance and management structures into a more integrated and cohesive One CGIAR, this includes supporting the transformation and positioning CGIAR’s profile and brand to secure sustainable funding for CGIAR research for development agenda to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Working closely with colleagues in the Funder and External Engagement Unit to ensure alignment with overall plans and prioritization of Unit’s activities, the Senior Communications Officer is responsible for supporting key leaders of the CGIAR System with timely, high-quality, high-impact communication material, and raising their profiles for impact in the context of their advocacy engagements.
The position requires a highly organized communications professional who brings a strong client focus and a high level of gravitas to the role. Excellent written and oral communication, editing, and reporting skills in English are paramount for this role.
Raise the profile of key leaders of the CGIAR System in support of One CGIAR’s advocacy initiatives towards the implementation of the Resource Mobilization, Communications and Advocacy Strategy – including speeches, op-eds, blogs, social media.
Coordinate engagement and participation of CGIAR’s key leaders’ in different high-profile events, conferences, meetings, and digital initiatives in support of raising more, and pooled funding.
Provide timely and high-quality communication support to those leaders in the form of developing, writing, editing, and reviewing high-quality concept notes, briefings, speeches and speaking points, key messages, presentations, briefs, blogs, op-eds, bios, videos, social media messages and tool kits, and other collateral materials as required.
Liaise with colleagues in the Funder and External Engagement Unit on resource mobilization initiatives to ensure alignment with overall plans and prioritization of leaders’ engagement and participation in different events.
Foster and contribute to highly collaborative teamwork within designated Unit, the System Management Office, and across the CGIAR System as a whole; proactively participating in knowledge and capacity building initiatives to support the delivery of the Organization’s business and work plans.
Undertake other tasks as appropriate to further advance relevant strategies and initiatives and as assigned by the Senior Manager Communications
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Advanced Degree (Masters' or equivalent) in Communications, Journalism, Advertising, or related field.
- At least 8 to 10 years’ experience in a similar position supporting communications and/or media relations in agricultural/environmental research for development is an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and a team player with the ability to establish and nurture effective working relationships in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary, and complex environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication, editing, and reporting skills in English. Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Arabic, or another major language that enhances effective collaboration across the CGIAR System global operations is an advantage.
- Ability to present and package scientific information into various formats to effectively engage specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- A keen understanding of traditional and digital media and newsworthiness.
- Ability to read, understand, and assimilate complex technical/scientific information to produce clear well-written summaries.
- Demonstrated experience in speech writing, key messages development, op-eds, stories, and social media campaigns.
Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software packages (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint at a minimum), and knowledge of and skills in desktop publishing and WordPress.**Personal Traits**
A self-starter, with strong communication, negotiation, and influencing skills
Ability to multitask and remain effective under pressure
Highest work ethics and integrity to inspire trust and credibility
Highly effective problem-solver who can think outside the box
How to apply:
Apply to Job