Research & Monitoring Manager
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Application: N° 08/AP-RCA/ACC/R&M/2020
Position : Research & Monitoring Manager
Status : International Post
Organization : African Parks - RCA
Location : Kocho/Mbomou prefecture
Report to : Conservation and Land-Use Manager
Start date : As soon as possible
AP-RCA is an International NGO which has the mandate (via African Parks Network) to manage a new 25-year Partnership Agreement signed with the Central African government in April 2020 concerning the Chinko Conservation Area (ACC) and functional landscapes (FP) in eastern CAR.
In order to strengthen its Reasearh’s department, African Parks RCA is seeking to recruit a Research & Monitoring Manager who will be assigned to Kocho in the Mbomou prefecture/Central Africa Republic.
The Research & Monitoring Manager will be responsible for the development, implementation, and quality of the Research Strategic Plan and the Monitoring and Data collection and Analysis elements that support it.
· preparing the strategy for and implementing camera trap set ups, track counts, aerial surveys, river surveys and other data collection necessary
· training and managing specialists of reconnaissance and monitoring teams that will work in conjunction with LAB, Transhumance and Community in collecting data on wildlife populations, species inventories, human/park interface, cattle transhumance, fires, and vegetation, that is deemed necessary for park management,
· establishing, implementing and data collection on annual burning programs,
· managing logistics of recon monitoring teams
· Interfacing with Operations Room to improve and manage data flow and analysis for LAB, Transhumance and Community Development. Set up and training of above teams in the use of data collection hardware and software (Locus, Survey123, Google Earth, Excel, camera traps, etc.),
· Manage project to improve data collection – migration to Head Office prescribed/preferred platforms
· Development of GIS (Geographic Information System) and DAS (Domain Awareness System) and management,
· any other data need that is required for the park management
· communicating data ouputsto AP, donors, Govt., international community, public
· Creating real-time application of GIS and DAS (Domain Awareness System) data
· Creation of Remote sensing database
· Analysis of survey info, fire maps, vegetation and forestry maps
· Standardization of Remote sensing information
Team Management and Administration:
· hiring local staff for Eco-monitor and community positions
· ensuring and training technical staff to achieve required standard of excellence
· develop and manage patrol rotations
· wildlife and fisheries management,
· Taking operational responsibility of the workshop facility
· implement maintenance and replacement schedules for all data equipment
· ensuring timely budgeting and ordering of equipment
· inventory and maintenance of stocks of consumables
· preparation of annual budgets and business cycle planning
· Monthly, quarterly and annual reporting
· Masters in Ecology, Biology, Research methods, or other relevant degree with a strong research and data component.
· Strong background in Conservation, animal tracking, recognition
· Experience with collaring or translocation would be an asset
· Minimum 2 solid years working in bush conditions in Africa, preferably Central Africa such as CAR, DRC, RC
· Bilingual French and English; fluency in Sango, Azande, Lingala or similar language is an asset; good verbal communication skills for training
· Experience developing data collection procedures, data analysis and interpretation
· Good technical report writing skills;
· Expertise with IT tools for data collection and analysis: ARCGIS and DAS a must, Mapping, and building databases. Earth Ranger.
· Experience with setting camera traps in dense bush conditions
· Be well organized: able to manage multiple teams on patrol rotations, their equipment and supply; organize your time to ensure all data collection and reporting are done in a timely manner
· Team player, solutions finder, takes care of your teams’ needs.
How to apply:
Send us your CV, Documents, Cover Letter to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference: N° 08/AP-RCA/ACC/R&M/2020 with the deadline: 2020 December 20 at 12h 00 (Bangui time)
Applications containing only CVs will not be considered.
African Parks may to close the recruitment before the advert due date. Thank you for your understanding.
Apply to Job