Protection Analysis Resource Design Consultant
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Humanitarian leadership and protection thought leaders have emphasized the need for protection analysis to provide the foundation for humanitarian response. Despite this recognition of the importance of protection analysis and associated commitments to deliver, there remain significant gaps in translating principles into practice. There is no systematic, core approach to protection analysis and while some guidance, principles and tools exist, these are not practical, accessible or sufficiently tailored to those doing and using protection analysis.
This two-year BHA-funded project, led by the International Rescue Committee and Danish Refugee Council, is focused on supporting teams in strengthening the quality and use of protection analysis with the needs of protection frontline workers, coordination actors and those steering broader humanitarian response strategies firmly in mind. Using a human-centered design approach, piloted in Nigeria and Iraq, the project builds from the experience and observations of these key user groups to examine the existing practice of protection analysis and explore what guidance, tools, and supportive factors are required to make the process desirable – and findings actionable. Based on this learning, we are working with these same colleagues to develop, test and deliver a resource package that is easily adapted, practical, and fit-for-purpose. Users will participate in three remotely-facilitated design sessions in February 2021 to share and validate findings of qualitative research, prioritize opportunity areas, and brainstorm solutions for creating a more desirable protection analysis experience.
The consultancy will join the project at this critical design moment, and will focus on the development of easy-to-use modular tools/resources to improve the quality, documentation and alignment of protection analysis with the needs of protection frontline workers, coordination actors and those steering broader humanitarian response strategies. The consultant will work with the IRC-DRC project team to develop, prototype, and refine these tools based on feedback from core project users.
In collaboration with the IRC-DRC Protection Analysis Project Team, the consultant will:
1. Participate in and/or co-facilitate workshops for designing, testing, and learning:
- Workshops to learn, validate and co-create will be conducted with country staff and other key stakeholders
- Workshops will focus on understanding key challenges, exploring existing solutions, generating new solutions and design guidelines. The consultant will support in assets development and synthesis for the workshop.
- The consultant will then take the early stage outputs from these workshops and together with protection analysis experts, design and test new user friendly tools.
2. Develop easy-to-use modular tools/resources for a protection analysis package*:*
- In collaboration with the protection analysis stakeholders and country teams, develop, prototype and refine potential tools based on existing research, analysis and extensive landscaping.
- Support country teams in developing and implementing prototyping plans for new solutions
- Support project teams and country teams in synthesizing findings
- Incorporate feedback and engage in iterative tool development.
Timeline: from mid/end January 2021 to Feb 2021 will be dedicated to a series of short global workshops; and Feb- May 2021 will be dedicated to the design, development and testing of user-friendly, desirable and impactful resource packages.
Experience, Technical Competencies, and Key Skills
- Experience in service design or program design in a consultancy or equivalent position
- Experience in leading a human-centered design process from ideation, prototyping through to implementation (in humanitarian contexts, a plus)
- Experience working on projects with both quantitative and qualitative data analysis/research methods
- Experience making packages or tools that incorporate data analysis
- Experience collaborating on remote design workshops
- Ability to work in a very self-directed way, and to collaborate with others at key moments of the design process.
- Ability to plan prototyping and pilot research and synthesize feedback to improve design
- Experience working with multicultural teams and settings
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills; ability to translate design concepts and processes to audiences who may be non-native English speakers and possess limited familiarity with human-centered design
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a fast-paced environment, within and across departments/functions and develop positive relationships with locally and remote based staff
- Demonstrated ability to manage different priorities among a diverse set of stakeholders, complex projects, monitoring and mitigation planning
- Graphic design expertise required
- Fluent in written and oral English; knowledge of Arabic, French, or Spanish is a plus
- Being based in, or native to the Global South is a plus
How to apply:
Applicants should send CV, Cover Letter, portfolio, and project proposal (including proposed approach/methodology, justification of capacity to deliver the consultancy, estimate of days, and budget range) to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by January 20th, 2021. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Apply to Job