Program Manager, Strategy, Performance, and Learning (SPL), Social Impact, Arlington, VA
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
SI is seeking a Program Manager to oversee and support the firm’s extensive work within the Strategy, Performance, and Learning (SPL) practice area. This position will support the SPL team in managing and implementing monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) related contracts.
Primary Responsibility: Project/Program Management
The Program Manager will be responsible for managing SPL contracts, providing technical inputs to SPL projects, and playing a role in business development. Potential clients include, but are not limited to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. Department of State (DOS), Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), DFID, foundations, and others. The Program Manager will report to an SI Deputy Director or Senior Program Manager.
The Program Manager role involves managing all stages of the evaluation project lifecycle. Program Managers are expected to manage projects with limited oversight, including the following responsibilities:
- Identify, recruit, and build project teams for specific activities, and draft consulting agreements for external team members
- Manage internal and external teams to keep projects on schedule and on budget
- Lead financial management of projects, including maintaining budget tracking spreadsheets and reviewing expense reports and invoices
- Support teams technically and managerially to ensure SI’s Evaluation Quality, Use, and Impact (EQUI) process
- Establish, monitor, and revise work plans and budgets for selected projects
- Ensure projects meet all contractual requirements for reporting, timelines, and deliverables
- Lead client communications and relationship management efforts
- Participate in technical tasks and in the development and delivery of client products, including analyses, reports, and related work products
- Provide quality assurance and coordinate reviews to ensure high quality deliverables to the client
Secondary Responsibility: Technical Assistance
The Program Manager may have the opportunity to provide technical consulting services, when applicable. These consulting tasks will be graduated to match the increasing level of proficiency and skill demonstrated by the Program Manager. However, even with some technical opportunities, the Program Manager’s main responsibilities and portfolio are expected to remain managerial. The ratio of work between management and technical tasks varies by portfolio and over time.
Expected technical areas include, but are not limited to:
- Data collection
- Data analysis
- Report writing
- Training and facilitation
- Evaluation design
- Performance Management Plans
- Data Quality Assessments
- Data analysis
- Report writing
- Training and facilitation
- Assessment design
- Performance improvement
- Capacity building and curricula development
- Organizational development
The Program Manager will be required to contribute to proposal development through technical writing, recruiting technical personnel, and participating in proposal development meetings. The Program Manager may be called upon to write technical sections for proposals, review draft proposals, identify staff to be included in proposals, and work with the Finance Department to review budgets.
- Minimum MA degree in international development or other related field.
- Academic training and minimum 3 years’ experience in program management, evaluation, performance monitoring, and/or organizational development and capacity building; 5 years preferred.
- Training and practical experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection, data analysis, monitoring and evaluation plans, results frameworks and log frames, performance management plans, and report writing.
- Experience working with USAID, MCC, DOS or other development agencies to produce useful and accurate evaluations.
- Demonstrated experience managing large government contracts and diverse team structures, with positive results.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and implement pertinent company and client policies and procedures clearly and accurately.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously and provide advice and guidance in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment, risk management, and communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish or French preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of USAID Mission structure and office function preferred.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Travel on assignment (global environment permitting) may be possible, depending on portfolio and preference.
How to apply:
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
Apply to Job