NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Background Information - Job-specific
Within the New York Service Cluster (NYSC) / Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) / Grant Management Services (GMS) portfolio and under the overall guidance and supervision of the GMS Manager, the Portfolio Manager analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to issues for all matters related to the GMS portfolio in particular. He/she ensures effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Portfolio Manager promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations.
The Portfolio Manager works in close collaboration with the operations and project teams in the New York Office, the GMS Project team members, UNOPS HQ staff, and project clients ensuring the successful delivery of portfolio services.
- Operations Management Leadership
- Portfolio Management
- Service Delivery and Quality Assurance
- Knowledge Management and Innovation
Operations Management Leadership
- Manage and coordinate the delivery of GMS operations services to ensure effective programme delivery.
- Lead the development of innovations tools and platform for operations and data management, ensuring cost-effective delivery, as well as information and knowledge sharing with colleagues, clients and partners.
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment and improvements of the operations services.
- Liaise and assist with other SDC portfolios to provide technical advice and support, and improve linkages on operational matters to achieve cost-effectiveness.
- Contribute to the development of GMS strategy by providing inputs and perspectives with a focus on Programme Operations, applied to the management of a large portfolio of grant projects. Collaborate actively with the relevant HQ Practice Groups for the development and integration of new tools and resources, including a grants management tool in oneUNOPS.
- In consultation with the Portfolio Manager, plan, recruit, manage and develop personnel with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum programme performance and encouraging the formation of diverse teams in term of gender and geography.
- Promote teamwork, collaboration and diversity by providing the team with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to achieve GMS’s programme management targets effectively and efficiently.
- Foster a positive team environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Develop and execute strategic plan to improve or expand the portfolio of services available to GMS.
- Develop and implement plans to meet internal targets and Central Programme Management Team's (CPMT) expectations on delivery of services to GMS.
- Coordinate with CPMT to startup GMS programmes.
- Coordinate consultations with CPMT and stakeholders on effective and efficient implementation of the GMS.
- Lead and manage a diverse group of Portfolio Associates to achieve GMS project results in a responsible, innovative and collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision and modelling behavior.
- Lead the identification of best practices for the GMS operations across the regions and coordinate their replication, eventual upscaling, and implementation across the portfolio (operational knowledge management)
Service Delivery and Quality Assurance
- Establish business plans, priorities, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) benchmarks, delivery targets and performance standards for the assigned portfolio. Execute business plans. Establish measurable long/short-term targets and monitor progress to measure performance of the assigned countries. Ensure full cost-recovery of UNOPS service provision within pricing policy.
- In line with applicable procurement practices and rules, prepare and issue TORs and Statements of Work for agreements and subcontracts; propose list of suitable firms or institutions, evaluate proposals received; make recommendations for contract awards; negotiate with successful bidders.
- Prepare contract documents and letter of agreements with institutions and UN agencies; administer and monitor contracts and agreements and process amendments, as required.
- Actively work with client on proposed projects, implementation plans, risk assessment, cost implications, identifying milestones and individual performance indicators to ensure success.
- Undertake, when requested by partners, monitoring and/or troubleshooting exercises to evaluate progress, identify problems and take appropriate and timely decisions to meet client needs.
- Interact with internal clients, regional/portfolio managers and other UNOPS staff to integrate and harmonize approaches.
- Coordinate the project audits with IAIG and external auditors, write management responses & envisage the implementation of the audit observations, and ensure timely implementation of the audit recommendations.
Knowledge Management and Innovation
- Plan, implement and organize strategic capacity building of personnel, partners and stakeholders.
- Lead the development of SOPs for the team, as well as tools and platforms for data and content management to drive information and knowledge sharing with colleagues, clients and partners.
- Actively participate in Communities of Practice (COP) and other knowledge sharing channels across UNOPS operations worldwide.
- Focal Point for SGP knowledge management exercises with client. Contribute to global knowledge sharing and capacity building with focus on mentoring, coaching and learning of innovative local knowledge and establishing of “global knowledge platform” for community based environment activities.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree) in a relevant field such as finance, business, public administration or other relevant related field is required
- Two (2) additional years of relevant work experience, in combination with a relevant first level university (bachelor’s degree or equivalent), may substitute for the requirement of a master’s degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible managing or working in development projects, with significant international experience in project management and service delivery and establishing relationships among international organizations and national governments.
- Proven track record managing staff and operational systems and dealing with UN regulations, rules and policies in the areas of contracting, procurement and human resources is desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English required. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Fixed-Term Staff Appointment
- Contract level: P-3
- Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability.
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link*:* https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to apply:
Please apply via the following link: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=20863
Apply to Job