NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Program Delivery (PDEL) - Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Program Delivery Team, contributes to realizing this purpose by: Forging smart partnerships and treating all people with dignity and respect; Applying organizational policies and regulatory compliance appropriately and consistently; Facilitating team spirit among colleagues and promoting the organization through communications; Influencing decision makers through focused, relevant communications; Continually striving to learn and share knowledge and find small ways to make the workplace more enjoyable for all; Cultivating and harvesting innovation; Contributing to the organization’s ability to think and act strategically at all times; Inspiring and spreading our desired organizational culture across the global enterprise.
Pact Inc. is seeking a Livelihoods Specialist for a USAID Liberia Conservation Works (CWA) Activity project in Liberia to conserve threatened and endangered species by strengthening Protected Areas (PAs) and improving economic conditions around PAs. The goal of this anticipated 5-year project is to conserve biodiversity while increasing economic growth. The goal will be achieved by 1) strengthening protection and management for existing PAs and Proposed Protected Areas (PPAs) and 2) increasing economic growth around PPAs and PAs. Most of the project efforts will be focused in targeted geographical areas within Liberia.
The Livelihoods Specialist will lead a team of Livelihoods Officers to work in coordination with local partners at the community level to develop, mentor, and support toward graduation enterprise groups, cooperatives, youth livelihoods groups, and /or formal livelihoods groups with a focus on sustainable rural economic development and biodiversity conservation.
The Livelihoods Specialist will oversee the supervision and overall management of Livelihoods Officers and their activities. The Livelihoods Specialist will provide strategic leadership of and technical guidance on sustainable livelihoods interventions, income generation, and rural financing. This will include but not be limited to establishing and strengthening micro-savings and lending groups, household economic strengthening, integration of a Positive Youth Development (PYD) approach, and designing and delivering individual and enterprise-level training on developing agricultural value chains.
The Livelihoods Specialist will be responsible for project management, the development and oversight of livelihoods work plans, targets, budgets, and reports, coordinating with other Specialists and Advisors, and partner organizations to achieve project results and objectives. S/he will report to the Economic Development Team Leader and carry out all activities in compliance with USAID rules and regulations and Pact policies.
· Bachelor’s degree in economics, agriculture/horticulture, environmental sciences, or related field.
· Minimum 5 years’ demonstrated experience working on projects promoting livelihoods interventions through skills training, alternative/additional income generation, micro-savings and micro-lending, youth employment, and agricultural value-chain development.
· Demonstrated track record of achieving results in sustainably increasing economic growth and conserving biodiversity.
· Experience establishing and strengthening microfinance savings and lending groups to empower women and youth to gain numeracy, financial and literacy skills, manage their own finances, and start and manage their own sustainable micro-enterprises.
· Experience designing and delivering training to develop agricultural value chains.
· Experience linking relevant training to market actors and workforce development opportunities that promote sustainable livelihoods, Community-Based Natural Resource Management (CBNRM), or eco-tourism.
· Experience implementing Positive Youth Development (PYD) approaches to support young people in leadership, decision-making, sustainable economic empowerment, and management.
· Must have a very good understanding of the biodiversity conservation sector of, and proven work experience in Liberia.
· Excellent oral and written communication abilities in English
· Experience with USAID Grants Under Contract (GUC).
· Experience working with Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFP)
· Liberian nationals encouraged to apply, but not a prerequisite.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
How to apply:
Apply to Job