Director of Privacy, Responsible Data and Risk
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Director of Privacy, Responsible Data and Risk
Design and implement our strategic approach to privacy, responsible data and risk that enables our technology to improve millions of lives.
Simprints is a nonprofit tech company from the University of Cambridge. Our mission is to transform the way the world fights poverty. We build technology to radically increase transparency and effectiveness in global development, making sure that every vaccine, every dollar, every public good reaches the people who need them most.
We use biometric technology to help verify coverage and increase impact on the frontlines. Our goal is to disrupt the way we currently track and deliver progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals, and instead build a world where guesswork is left behind and every person counts in the fight against poverty.
We have already reached over 850,000 individuals and are contracted to reach more than 1.4m people by 2021 through flagship projects like our work with BRAC in Bangladesh and the Ministry of Health in Ethiopia.
About the role
We are looking for more than just a Data Protection Officer. We are looking for someone with a real passion for data privacy, responsible data and risk, who is experienced enough to spearhead our strategic and innovative work in this area. We are in a unique situation: a nonprofit, impact driven company that is processing millions of highly sensitive biometric records in some of the world's harshest settings. Privacy doesn't get more challenging (and exciting) than this!
There is a huge opportunity to expand and grow within the organisation. For the right candidate this could mean ensuring robust and ethical standards for some of the biggest projects our sector will deploy over the coming decade. You will also become a key advocate, pushing the entire international development and biometrics industries to follow our example and improve standards in their own programmes.
This role will feed directly into the Executive Team’s strategy and report to the Chief Delivery Officer. Your responsibilities will be based around the overarching objective of enabling Simprints to spearhead a proactive and innovative approach to privacy, responsible data and risk.
- Ensure that ‘privacy by default and design’ principles are embedded into Simprints’ DNA, our systems, and our processes for data collection and use
- Be accountable for privacy and responsible data at Simprints, including GDPR compliance. Transforming Simprints into a world leading responsible data organisation.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to champion privacy and responsible data in all areas of Simprints and to provide training where required
- Stay abreast of relevant data protection laws and policies in the UK and countries of operation
- Draft and own data governance processes, data sharing arrangements, data protection impact assessments, international transfer agreements, data management systems, and privacy notices
- Work in partnership with technical experts and our engineering team to minimise technical risk
- Oversee ethical due diligence of potential large-scale and/or high-risk projects
- Be an advocate on the international stage, taking a proactive and positive approach to privacy and data governance, and promoting higher privacy standards across our industry at global conferences and events.
- Supporting the Chief Delivery Officer in strengthening risk management approaches. This will involve acting as a core member of a Risk and Ethics Committee, updating risk registers and developing mitigation plans, and deploying to our different global offices to provide hands-on support to Country Directors and partner organisations.
What are the “must-have” skills and experience for this role?
- Leadership, ownership and self-starting drive. An ability to articulate a clear vision for Privacy and Responsible Data, the leadership skills to develop a comprehensive change plan, the experience to collaborate positively to make the change happen, and the grit to deliver on all the detailed work requirements.
- Experience in and a thorough understanding of the international development sector.
- Inspiring passion for data privacy with recent experience in data privacy, data protection or data governance, including GDPR compliance
- Ability to translate legal concepts into real, practical strategies. Then oversee and undertake the implementation of these strategies across the company
- Ability to dig into the detail to identify innovative approaches to privacy and responsible data, whilst protecting the sensitive personal data of our beneficiaries
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, both internally and externally at all levels of seniority
- Experience designing and executing ethical due diligence protocols for projects involving sensitive data
- A positive and ambitious professional approach, willing to embrace the fast pace nature of a social enterprise. Comfortable delivering on a variety of tasks and content development, alongside high level advisory support, whilst developing momentum behind a clear change management plan.
Ideally, you will also have
- Experience or relevant training in one or more of Law, IT and Data Security
- Experience effectively advocating for a cause, including networking. public speaking, and presentations.
- Track record in complex stakeholder and partnership management
- Experience in risk management, ethics and change management.
Note: we are able to provide additional privacy/data security training opportunities to the selected candidate if required.
What we value
- Integrity. You have an unwavering commitment to ‘confronting the grey’ in all areas of your work, and encourage transparency in all your interactions.
- Intellect. You understand the importance of rigorously detailed data, and have a strong ability to synthesise complex and potentially competing requirements, and convert them into recommendations that drive business decisions.
- Problem-solving. You have distinctive problem solving skills and good business judgment. You are capable of translating different privacy related scenarios into clear recommendations.
- Curiosity. You have a desire to think innovatively and explore and understand how different perspectives and complex data blend together to create the bigger picture and context.
- Learning. You love learning new things, are able to think on your feet, and can pick up new tools and methods quickly.
- Grit. You have a hands-on, can-do attitude and have the drive to dig deep into problems to discover pain points and features from multiple perspectives, and resilience to stay focused on a project to the end.
- Passion. If being part of a team that designs and deploys technology for global health sounds exciting, we want to meet you!
5 Reasons to join Simprints
- Life is short. We believe work should be awesome, meaningful, and fun. At Simprints we’re taking on global development’s biggest challenges, powered by an amazing culture and incredible people. Work with us, and you will grow faster, learn more, and take on great responsibilities with potential to make lasting change.
- Genuine Impact. The opportunity to be part of our delivery of frontline projects around the world that impact millions of lives.
- Global Leadership. Be part of a global team of country directors, project managers, engineers, and delivery partners dedicated to making a difference. In the process, work with exhilarating people from around the world representing over 20 different nationalities with a wide range of cultures, experiences, and viewpoints, with diverse backgrounds spanning tech companies like Google, businesses like BCG, and NGOs like Save the Children.
- Career Advancement. Join the leadership team of a fast-growing social enterprise that is breaking onto the global stage. Four years since we were founded, we are already working directly with the most influential and exciting partners in development—from ministries of health, to top donors like Gavi & USAID, to leading NGOs like JSI & BRAC.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off & Flexible Hours. We set high goals and give people the freedom to choose when and how to achieve them. Work when, where, and how suits you best. Join a team that trusts you with the job.
- Real Professional Development. Beyond on-the-job learning, Simprints will support you with a professional development budget and access to global experts across our Board of Directors & Advisors.
Simprints is an equal opportunity employer. We pride ourselves in our firm commitment to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We aim to attract, hire, grow, and retain the most qualified candidates regardless of race, gender, ability, religion, nationality, age, sexuality, and other differences. We encourage interested and suitable candidates who are part of underrepresented groups to apply for this position.
How to apply:
Traditional recruitment processes are open to a lot of subconscious bias: your name, where you studied, previous employers and a host of other factors can lead to your candidacy being treated differently to others. We’ve built a recruitment system that seeks to minimise that bias as much as possible.
To apply, go to www.simprints.com/careers and submit your CV. You’ll receive a response and a link to a “Written Interview”. Not everyone is great at face-to-face interviews, and we want to make sure that you have the best chance to show yourself off in the best light. Once we’ve received your answers to the written interview, we’ll then blind it and a few of our team will mark it independently. Only once the marking is finished will we check your CV to make sure that your experience matches up with what we’re looking for.
Apply to Job