Data for Health Coordinator, Mozambique
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
Terms of Reference:
Title: Data for Health Country Coordinator, Mozambique
Contract Type: Consultant
Contract Duration: January 11, 2021 – March 31, 2021
Start Date: January 11, 2021
Application Deadline: December 21, 2020
The Bloomberg Philanthropies Data for Health Initiative aims to enhance public health data collection and use in low- and middle-income countries. The goal of the initiative is to ensure that a billion more people live in countries where data are used to steer public policy and program decisions. Under the Initiative, Vital Strategies, in partnership with other global public health organizations, is implementing a multi-year program to improve civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) and data use (DIP) in 26 countries and municipalities in Africa, Latin America, Asia, and the Pacific.
The CRVS Program involves interventions designed to improve the registration of births and deaths; improve the availability and quality of cause of death information for both facility- and home-based events; and improve the timeliness of available vital statistics information and reports.
The Data Impact Program (DIP) partners with governments in using data to improve public health by providing tailored and output-oriented programs to strengthen government capacity to use data and evidence in public health policymaking.
The Coordinator for the CRVS and Data Impact Programs will be based in Maputo. S/he will work with staff at Vital Strategies, other Initiative in-country partner organizations and with staff in the government institutions - Ministry of Health, National Institute of Health, National Institute of Statistics, Civil Registration Office (the Ministry). The key role will be to develop and support the implementation of a program of activities that achieve objectives of the Initiative’s CRVS and Data Impact Programs. The Country Coordinator will be embedded to the Ministry (Ministry of Health, National Institute of Health, National Institute of Statistics, Civil Registration Office) according to the activities. The Coordinator will interface between government agencies, D4H Initiative Technical Advisors, and other critical stakeholders in the country.
This will be a consultancy position based in Mozambique until March 31, 2021, with the possibility of renewal for 2 more years.
- Collaborate with Mozambique government stakeholders to produce operational Data for Health CRVS and Data Impact improvement work plans with clear milestones, timelines and monitoring plan related to country CRVS and DIP strategy/roadmap.
- Project manage Data for Health supported interventions under supervision of Vital Strategies Technical Advisor to provide oversight of implementation of all Initiative activities in accordance with regulatory requirements and according to government’s aims, objectives, approved work plans, budgets and protocols
- Coordinate delivery of CRVS and Data Use-related trainings, meetings and workshops
- Facilitate government-approved in-country visits by Initiative partners as required
- Coordinate procurements of materials and supplies for D4H supported activities
- Participate in CRVS Committee meetings, if and as directed; compile and share reports on meeting proceedings
- Participate and provide technical support to various working groups on CRVS and DIP improvement according to government priorities
- Monitor in-country D4H expenditures and ensure that all such expenditures are made in accordance with agreed work plans, budgets and protocols, obtaining all required approvals before expenditures are committed or made
- Communicate regularly with and report on Initiative progress to senior government officials, Vital Strategies Technical Advisor, and Initiative partners
- Continuously monitor D4H Initiative activities in order to identify and report all challenges to implementation of Initiative interventions
Consultant background must include:
- Post-graduate degree in relevant field (public health, epidemiology, MD (plus relevant experience), demography, etc.) from a recognized university
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience as project officer or manager of public health projects
- English language proficiency and fluency in Portuguese
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (MS word, Excel, Outlook)
- Strong organizational and verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness and ability to travel in country and internationally once travel is cleared
- This Vacancy Advertisement is open to Mozambican nationals only. Vital Strategies strongly encourages qualified female candidates to apply.
How to apply:
Please submit a CV and cover letter, through the Vital Strategies Career Center. The deadline for applications is December 21, 2020.
Apply to Job