COUNTRY DIRECTOR - MALI
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and fight with CARE.
CARE is seeking an experienced and innovative Country Director (CD) to lead the efforts in CARE- Mali. The Country Director will have overall responsibility and leadership to ensure the relevance, impact, and cost-effectiveness of CARE International (CI) in Mali.
S/he will represent CI in the country, guiding a relevant program strategy development and implementation, ensuring effective humanitarian capacity and timely response, leading operational planning, and overseeing financial, operations, and human resource management, including the safety and security of all CI staff and visitors in Mali.
Reporting to the Regional Director, West Africa, the Country Director will provide effective leadership and management to CARE International staff and other stakeholders to undertake CARE International’s role in addressing poverty and injustice and providing humanitarian assistance when needed consistent with CI’s Vision, Mission, and Focus.
CARE wants to pursue its mission and maximize impact on poverty and social justice in Mali, including saving lives, remain relevant, legitimate, and impactful, as the organization looks into the future with a greater integration of CARE international in Mali programs into the CARE International Sahel Countries programs building on resilience; climate change and Women Economic Empowerment experience, innovative models and approaches already in place.
More particularly, the Country Director will:
- Build and maintain a strong, innovative senior leadership team
- Lead the design, implementation, and evolution of the Country Office (CO) strategic plan based on CARE International Vision 2030
- Oversee CO programming to advance CARE’s vision and mission, in line with CARE’s Program Strategy and standards for program quality; Current CARE Mali program is split between development programs and humanitarian response, in a complex insecurity situation
- Direct the mobilization, management, and accounting of all resources in the CO
- Oversee the management and development of CO human resources to ensure a diverse, skilled, and productive workforce
- Develop and enhance relationships, partnerships, and networks between the CO, other parts of CARE and external organizations to maximize CARE’s impact on poverty and social justice
- Program Development and Implementation
- Program impact and relevance
- Resource mobilization and operations viability
- External relations partnerships and advocacy
- Representation and Relationships/Communication, information and public relations
- Country Office Strategic and Operational Planning and Implementation
- Country Office Financial, Budget and Administration Management
- Human Resources Development and Management /Safety and Security
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- 8-10 years of senior management experience in international development and humanitarian assistance programs
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning
- Extensive conceptual skills including strategic analysis
- People/Relationship Management
- Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership, and interpersonal skills; Strong human resource management skills including capacity building, coaching, and conflict management
- Experience supervising and developing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting; Demonstrated interest and ability to give feedback, develop, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results;
- Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in insecure and stressful environments; Experience and skills in leading organizational change processes
- Financial Management
- Knowledge and experience with financial management as demonstrated by the ability to:
- Manage a complex budget
- Effectively follow-up on internal and external audit recommendations; Ensure donor compliance and reporting
- Information/Knowledge Management
- Ability to establish a learning culture within the CO and to facilitate knowledge sharing across CARE External Relationships/Fundraising
- Experience in successfully managing various forms of partnerships with national and international NGOs, etc.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts.
- Strong representation, influencing, and negotiation skills.
How to apply:
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at email@example.com.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
Apply to Job