Country Director (male/female/diverse) Programme Office in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
We are looking for a Country Director for our programme office in Sarajevo starting as soon as possible.
Who we are
forumZFD supports people involved in violent conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence. forumZFD is currently working with peace consultants in Germany as well as eleven other countries in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. Its Academy for Conflict Transformation offers a learning space for professional, international peace work. Through dialogue events, educational work and campaigns, forumZFD actively advocates civil peace policy. forumZFD is recognised by the German federal government as a member of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) consortium. It finances its work through public and private grants, donations and membership fees.
forumZFD is seeking a full-time Country Director for its regional programme in the Western Balkans to be responsible for the programme office in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
As a Country Director working for forumZFD, you will have the opportunity to contribute your experience and skills within the innovative field of conflict transformation and peacebuilding throughout the region. Embedded in a regional programme, you will not only take on your work with a highly engaged and professional team in Sarajevo, but also work in close cooperation with other staff in the region and the rest of the organization.
As the position is based on the German Development Aid Workers Act (EhfG), it is restricted to citizens of the EU. The position is remunerated according to the provisions of this law, including comprehensive social security benefits and financial reintegration assistance upon return. Within this framework, we offer an attractive position with responsibilities for a minimum of two to three years (with the option of extension) in a growing organization. We also offer participation in qualification and professional development courses (among others, at forumZFD’s Academy for Conflict Transformation), a project-based preparation, and regular coaching.
Your tasks and responsibilities
As Country Director you will be responsible for leading a team of five colleagues in the programme office located in Sarajevo for the implementation of the regional Western Balkan programme in Bosnia and Herzegovina. As a member of the Regional Management Team (consisting of the Head of Programme, the Regional Director and the four Country Directors of the Western Balkans Programme) you will also contribute to the further conceptual and strategic development of the Western Balkans Programme and its implementation in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the region. Tasks related to finance management, public relations, and other overriding duties are additionally carried out in close cooperation with the Regional Office in Belgrade and respective operational departments of forumZFD.
Some of the central tasks and responsibilities of this position are:
· Managing the Sarajevo Office of the Western Balkans Programme office:
o Ensuring professional operational management of the office related to finance management, legal registration and the fulfilment of legal requirements, office administration, reporting to Regional and Head Offices and other technical requirements;
o Managing human resources of experienced staff related to individual staff guidance, maintaining team cohesion, and managing team and individual staff capacities;
· Maintaining and further developing the quality of project activities and established cooperation with local actors;
· Safeguarding the quality of the programme’s operational processes in line with internal standards of forumZFD and supporting the impact-oriented implementation of the various programme components in line with internal PM&E standards of forumZFD;
· Ensuring the fulfillment of internal forumZFD security requirements and policies for office staff;
· Externally representing the Western Balkans Programme within Bosnia and Herzegovina, in the region, and in Germany (including support for the communication and public relations activities of forumZFD);
· Supporting staff in the acquisition of financial means together with cooperation partners.
• Advanced university degree with a minimum of 5 years of work experience in project and/or programme management in the fields of conflict transformation and/or development cooperation;
• Profound knowledge of the social, political and economic situation in Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as interrelated regional contexts that are relevant for peace work in Bosnia and Herzgovina and the region;
• Management experience in the areas of programme strategy development, staff development and management, project planning and reporting, administration, and financial controlling;
• Experience in the management of projects and/or programmes involving work with civil society at different levels including cooperating with (civil society) initiatives, associations, non-governmental organisations, as well as with national and international institutions;
• Proven knowledge and ability to advise on methods and concepts of non-violent conflict transformation;
• Strong leadership, advisory, and interpersonal skills (particularly for managing people), including non-violent communication competencies and intercultural sensitivity; **
• Excellent written and spoken command of English (official working language of the programme); excellent knowledge of Bosnian, Croatian or Serbian languages is highly desirable;
• Experience with use of social media, websites, and other online-based working platforms (particularly for facilitating collaborative work in virtual team settings);
• Willingness to frequent travels in the country, region, and internationally; holds a valid driver’s license and a willingness to drive.
Start of assignment
Ideally, you are available to start working on 1st of February (preparation courses, followed by at least two to three years’ work within the project with the option of extension).
How to apply:
Please apply online at https://www.forumzfd.de/en/jobs (letter of motivation, CV, relevant references) via the application form latest by 6th of January 2021.
The selection process is planned to be scheduled in the last week of January. If you have any questions about the position, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Kristen Schubert at firstname.lastname@example.org.**
Our work in the Western Balkans is described in more detail at www.forumZFD.de/en/western-balkans.
You will also find more information about our and our partners’ activities in one of the central thematic areas of our work in the Western Balkans, Dealing with the Past, at www.dwp-balkan.org.
We are looking forward to your application!
Apply to Job