Chief of party | Afghanistan | 2020
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Chemonics seeks a chief of party for the anticipated Afghanistan SALAM program. This project will support improved municipal planning processes; strengthen transparency, accountability, and public financial management; and, improve municipal government engagement with the population. The ideal candidate will bring an entrepreneurial spirit to the role while maintaining a strong client-focus and ability to capitalize on emerging opportunities. Moreover, the ideal candidate should be able to harness experience developing institutional resilience to effectively meet citizen priorities and service delivery needs for local governance in a sustainable manner that is transparent, accountable, fully representative of citizen interests, self-reliant, and which contributes to the peace process. Successful candidates will leverage expertise in one or more of the following areas: post-conflict stabilization and peacebuilding; revenue generation for municipal self-reliance; management information systems for citizen-centered governance; municipal performance management; local economic development and public private partnerships. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall project leadership, management, and technical direction, ensuring a common vision across different components and actors
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID, the host-country government, and local and regional partners
- Ensure that all project assistance is technically sound, appropriate, and aligned with the program’s long-term vision
- Direct implementation of the project’s strategic long-term vision
- Oversee work planning, performance management, and strategic communications
- Supervise technical and administrative staff
- Advanced degree in international development, conflict resolution, finance, business, governance and economic development, or a related field preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in managing and implementing development projects of similar size and scope, preferably including experience in a conflict or post-conflict environment
- Experience working in Afghanistan preferred, but not required
- Experience collaborating with municipal authorities in challenging environments to strengthen legal and management frameworks for efficient and effective municipal management.
- Experience guiding the establishment or strengthening of governance systems for self sufficiency and financial resilience, such as improved policy, business licensing, municipal budgeting, human resource and performance management, compliance management, and legal and policy modules for good governance
- Demonstrated experience establishing inclusive municipal governance initiatives, ideally within a conflict or post-conflict setting
- Strong facilitation, communication, collaboration, and leadership skills
- Experience with adaptive management approaches
- Personnel and resource management, coordination, and decision-making skills along with an ability to troubleshoot
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English
How to apply:
Please apply through SALAMRecruit@Chemonics.com with the relevant position title in the subject line of the email by January 31, 2021. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
Apply to Job