Business Development Co-ordinator
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
As the Montrose Business Development Co-ordinator based remotely you will support the successful expansion of the company’s programme portfolio, contribute to internal learning and quality improvement, and support Montrose’s corporate administrative functions. You will represent Montrose, support the company’s delivery of high-quality international development programmes and nurture the growth of the company’s portfolio within the sector. You will champion the Montrose Vision, Mission and Values, have a willingness to learn, great attention to detail, communicate well with all stakeholders and be responsive and eager to grow with the company, demonstrating flexibility, creativity and initiative.
Montrose is an international development project management and consultancy company providing support to clients operating in the developing world. Specialised in the sectors of health, education, rural livelihoods and private sector development, our clients include bilateral and multilateral development agencies, the private sector, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and other development stakeholders.
Improving lives through evidence and impact.
Montrose creates bespoke solutions which make lives better in Africa and Asia. We strive to add value to international development and corporate sustainability. Through our commitment to quality, responsiveness, and pragmatism, we aim to exceed expectations. We work with talented and passionate people who share our enthusiasm for our vision and style.
Montrose has four company values which guides our work and company culture. These are quality, responsiveness, people and innovation which are defined below.
- Quality – We strive to ensure not only the quality of what we deliver, but the certainty that we will consistently deliver high quality with respect to both our products and the way in which we operate.
- Responsiveness – Our responsiveness and flexibility reflect the value of working with a small and agile company. This goes beyond the minimum standard of a rapid response, but also considers how we respond to needs, contexts and challenges through the design of bespoke solutions delivered for, and with, our beneficiaries, partners and clients.
- People - From finding and effectively deploying the best consultants, to developing and growing with our teams, we reflect and value how the organisation can learn and improve by engaging and listening to our people whether they are beneficiaries, our personnel or our clients.
- Being innovative and forward-thinking in our approach to designing and implementing programmed helps us to understand potential initiatives which will ensure additional impact or improved delivery.
Montrose is a UK company with an Africa Regional Office in Kampala, Uganda, an Asia-Pacific Regional Office in Yangon, Myanmar, and a head office in Jersey, Channel Islands.
Purpose of the position: To support the effective development of Montrose’s business through business development and partner relationship management.
Grade level: 3
- Senior Business Development Manager
Location: Remote – ideally within 2-3 timezones of GMT
Core responsibilities of the role:
- Supporting the growth of Montrose’s programme portfolio
- Contributing to programme learning and quality improvement
A. Technical Responsibilities Specific to the Role
1. Business Development and programme learning (90%)
- Coordinating and supporting the development of proposals for responding to tenders from both international development agencies, government ministries and private industry. This includes but will not be limited to:
- Reviewing tender documents to identify core priorities for the client.
- Tracking client procurement pipelines for relevant opportunities.
- Updating international business development pipeline with updates from the team and relevant intel.
- Coordinating the development of proposal outlines and coordinating inputs from across the business development and programmes team and external experts as required.
- Researching and contributing to the technical and management sections of proposals, drawing on learnings from current programmes and global best practice.
- Reviewing client policies and submission requirements to ensure compliance and alignment within the technical proposal.
- Drafting the costing of activities and developing project budgets.
- Drafting project proposal workplans and working collaboratively with project managers to ensure feasibility and accuracy.
- Proactively engaging with potential partners (consultancies NGOs, universities and research institutes) to strengthen Montrose proposals and expressions of interest. Independently organise and carry out partnership calls and meetings on specific and general business development opportunities.
- Contributing to business development strategy by carrying out market research on sectors, countries and clients of interest, to determine potential future opportunities.
- Compiling learnings from current programmes through both technical research inputs and liaison with the Programmes Team, and ensuring that these are incorporated into new programme designs and technical proposals, to ensure continuous improvement of programme quality.
- Lead the editing and compiling of supporting compliance, track record, and financial documentation required for tender responses – including consultants’ CVs and partner organisations’ track record material.
- Coordinating the identification of, and conducting due diligence on, partner organisations for inclusion in proposed bidding consortia as required. This may include reviewing partners’ track record, completing a partner review analysis, and working with partners to agree a clear division of roles on the tender.
- Coordinating the provision of inputs for any tenders in which Montrose plans to subcontract to another prime bidder. This will include a combination of all the tasks above, with a key focus on close and effective liaison within the consortium to ensure the timely and quality submission of Montrose inputs.
- Assisting the HR Manager with the identification of high-quality consultants, conducting interviews with consultants and drafting profiles for proposals. Leading CV formatting and tailoring in line with proposal scope and requirements and negotiating competitive fee rates.
- Full attendance and involvement on regular BD calls.
- Attendance at market engagement events with priority clients.
- Working with the Editorial Manager in reviewing, editing, and proofing written deliverables to ensure high-quality proposals.
2. Administration Support (10%)
- Support the application of compliance requirements for Montrose Group operations and programmes, including but not limited to:
- performing reviews of new contracts with third parties and tracking compliance;
- tracking and assisting with Montrose compliance requirements for external standards and certifications, e.g. ISO, UN Global Compact;
- Supporting GDPR compliance, including routine reporting and systems reviews for new software; flagging any data privacy request to the DFA or MD immediately
- Other support for Montrose teams across the globe as required
- Highlighting and providing recommendations on systems improvements required by new potential clients, to ensure Montrose is business ready for secured work or BD requirements.**
B. Grade-Level Roles and Responsibilities
- Support technical research related to projects or proposals, with direction
- Oversee data collection and carry out basic analysis of data collected
- Write summary reports based on the research completed and be able to articulate the research findings in a meeting
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of financial management in Montrose
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the financial roles and responsibilities of different departments
- Be able to identify cost inputs for budgets
- Comply with all internal governance and finance procedures and standards (including confidentiality and accountability)
3. Consultant Management
- Be able to draft consultant ToRs, where applicable
- Be able to lead in identification of qualified consultants where applicable
- Understand how to complete compliance and due diligence processes for consultants and why this is necessary
- Ensure consultants have any documentation they require ahead of time
4. Key Documents
- Understand how to format, proofread and co-ordinate inputs into documents such as reports or proposals
- Demonstrate ability to create and update workplans where applicable
5. Risk Management
- Understand risk management and its importance in Montrose
- Write risk register for assigned projects, proposals or office management where appropriate
- Demonstrate ability to manage own personal risk (e.g. draft and implement a journey management plan for any travel)
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of administration procedures in Montrose
- Adhere to Montrose administration procedures (e.g. Conflict of Interest declarations)
7. Strategy and Leadership
- Act as an ambassador for Montrose
- Demonstrate an awareness of relevant stakeholder management plans
- Understand the project or proposal being delivered and be aware of other active Montrose projects
9. Internal HR
- Set, review and meet personal KPIs
- Identify and undertake Continuous Professional Development opportunities
- Show understanding of and potential for internal career progression
10. Company Culture
- Promote the Montrose work ethic and values (People, Quality, Innovation, and Responsiveness)
- Act as a Montrose professional at all times and follow the Montrose Code of Conduct
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree (Social sciences, Economics, International Development, Health, Education or a related field)
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a business development team in the international development sector:
- Understanding of the full development aid procurement cycle and a clear track record in successful bid management;
- Experience in leading proposals in response to multiple clients, for example: Development agencies, NGOs, government ministries and the private sector
- Strong social/communication skills to communicate and negotiate with large institutional donors and consortia partners at senior level;
- Advanced writing skills to formulate bid project plans and proposals;
- Critical and analytical thinking skills to review complex terms of references from different clients to formulate bid plans and structure technical responses;
- Experience in engaging with candidates for expert consultant positions on proposals;
- Experience in contributing to the formulation of project proposal budgets;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint Presentation;
- The motivation and organisational skills required to work independently and effectively, on a remote basis, with several teams across multiple time zones.
- Located within 3 hours of GMT
- Interest in foreign aid and the health, education, environment and economic development sectors
- Experience with the procurement processes of FCDO, UN Agencies and / or Asian Development Bank
- Experience in developing proposals for monitoring, evaluation and research projects
- Any additional language skills are desirable
How to apply:
If you meet the above qualifications and are interested in this opportunity, please submit your application Here before 15 January 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is identified.
Apply to Job