TOT Training and Curriculum review Consultant
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Call for Consultancy
Terms of Reference for TOT Training and Curriculum review Consultancy
Contract type: Short Term
Contract Duration: 3 - 4 days
Reporting to: Senior Manager Casework Partnerships**
Duty Station: Kampala.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is an international human rights organization that works to ensure that all, especially the most vulnerable, have proper and appropriate access to justice. IJM works directly with survivors of violence to offer support and assistance. IJM also works closely with local and national governments, religious and traditional leaders and in particular with the public justice system to support them and build system wide capacity.
IJM has been operating in Uganda for over 15 years and has a nationwide partnership with the Justice Law & Order Secretariat that focuses on effective prevention of and response to all forms of violence against women & children. IJM’s vision for its work in Uganda is that by 2030 all women and children across the country are protected by the justice system, are empowered and live free from violence.
IJM is regulated by the NGO Board. It operates in partnership with the Justice Law and Order Sector (JLOS) under a Memorandum of Understanding signed by the Chief Justice of Uganda in 2017 with a specific focus on tackling Violence Against Women and Violence Against Children across Uganda.
IJM, with support from UN Women, in partnership with UNICEF and UNDP, through funding from the Government of Sweden and the EU-UN Spotlight Initiative to Eliminate Violence Against Women and Girls is aiming to strengthen the capacity for JLOS Institutions (Police, Prosecution and Judiciary) and Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development (MGLSD) in effective investigations, prosecution and adjudication of Gender-based violence (GBV) and Violence against Children (VAC) Cases in Uganda.
A capacity assessment was conducted which involved review of the various pre- and in-service training curricula as used by the various JLOS institutions. This informed knowledge gaps which ultimately informed training areas.
Consequently, IJM is in the process of developing a comprehensive training curriculum and Trainer of Trainers (TOT) manual for police, prosecutors, judicial officers, probation and social welfare officers and forensic analysts in knowledge, attitudes, and skills to effectively investigate, prosecute, adjudicate and coordinate cases involving GBV/VAC. The targeted trainers will then be tasked with delivering 42 trainings to other JLOS duty bearers across 21 districts.
To this end, IJM seeks to retain the services of a consultant to peer review the curriculum before it is delivered to the TOTs from the JLOS institutions identified above.
Scope of work
The scope of the work includes:
Reviewing the TOT training curriculum and providing feedback and recommendations on the content, including the following:
· Structure of the curriculum;
· Relevance of the modules, activities and exercises;
· Time apportioned to each session and whether the entire curriculum can be delivered within the designated 5 days;
· Applicability of the training content to a multidisciplinary class of trainers from the sectors of police, prosecutions, judiciary, and social services;
· Ability of the training content to meet the needs in knowledge, skills and attitudes relevant for effective investigation, prosecution and adjudication of GBV and VAC;
· Accessibility/Usability of the manual by the TOTs to deliver the trainings to the JLOS district actors;
Providing any other recommendations that will improve the learning experience for the TOTs and the subsequent JLOS district actors.
- Review of the developed training curriculum for the JLOS institutional trainers.
- Provide feedback on the curriculum to support the delivery of the trainings by the TOTs.
- Submit recommendations on how the curriculum can be improved to address the knowledge, skills and attitude gaps in order for the JLOS actors to better respond to GBV and VAC.
The consultant will be accountable to IJM to whom they will present the feedback from time to time to share the progress of the work under these TORs and certifying that the tasks, have been satisfactorily performed.
Interested and qualified (individual or institutional) consultants are invited to submit their proposal(s) comprising the following:
a) An understanding of the consultancy requirements.
b) Methodology and work plan for performing the assignment.
c) Detailed reference list indicating the scope and magnitude of similar assignments.
d) Relevant services undertaken in the past five (5) years.
e) Registration and other relevant statutory documents (this applies to Institutional consultants).
f) Financial proposal clearly showing the budgeted cost for the work to be conducted by the consultant under the scope of work above.
g) Updated Curriculum Vitae for individual consultants.
Qualifications and Experience
· Master’s Degree in Law, Education, Development Studies, Humanities or any other relevant discipline.
· At least 5 years of prior work experience in the field of education or training
· Experience of working with JLOS institutions is preferred
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience with developing, revising, reviewing and delivery of curricula for justice institutions including police, prosecutors and conducting trainings
· Demonstrated knowledge and skills in research
· A widely written and published applicant is preferred
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English is required.
· Ability to work independently and respond to feedback in a timely and professional manner.
· Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to contribute to a team.
· Demonstrated capacity to deliver in the timeframe outlined.
The project seeks to identify experts that fulfill the above criteria and have demonstrated ability in reviewing curricula for JLOS institutions to provide relevant expertise and bring a wider perspective in developing of the training manual.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should email their Application, CV and proposed budget to email@example.com. Applications should reach us not later than 5:00pm on 24thNovember 2020.
Only shortlisted Individuals shall be contacted.
Apply to Job