NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Civil Society and Media Project (CSM), Nepal
FHI 360, an international non-governmental organization (NGO), is recruiting a highly qualified and dynamic candidate for the expected United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Civil Society and Media Project (CSM) in Nepal as Technical Director. The Technical Director will provide GESI-related guidance to CSM as part of the Senior Management Team (90%), while also providing technical assistance to other civil society projects in the Asia Pacific region (approximately 10%).
The Senior Management Team for CSM-Nepal consists of the Chief of Party, the Deputy Chief of Party, the Technical Director, and the Director of Finance and Administration. The Technical Director position will also report to the Asia Pacific Regional Office on an as-needed basis when technical assistance is required on other projects. This arrangement ensures that CSM benefits from strong technical support in Nepal and can benefit from lessons learned from other FHI 360 projects in the region. This also provides an opportunity for CSM to share its experience more widely through networks of experts in FHI 360 and beyond.
Within the CSM project, the central role of the Technical Director is to ensure a sustained focus on GESI-related issues both with regard to patterns of civic engagement, sustainable leadership processes and in assessing and supporting related law, policy and public service practice. The Technical Director will oversee cross-cutting technical activities that increase the capacity of civil society and media to engage with government at all levels, promote local government accountability and decreased tolerance for corruption, and advocate for policies that address inequality and support inclusive democratic participation. The Technical Director will be responsible for providing technical leadership to design activities that increase the participation of women, ethnic minorities, and other marginalized groups. The Technical Director will support CSO efforts to be more inclusive and promote the leadership of women and minorities in public life. She/he will lead a team that improves the organizational capacity of CSOs to operate more effectively and improve their reputational standing in the communities where they work. The Technical Director will also oversee the project’s monitoring and evaluation and legal analysis team. Availability of position is contingent upon award to FHI 360.
- Assist the COP and DCOP with strategic and operational planning, including work planning
- Lead development of cross-cutting strategies to incorporate gender and social inclusion (GESI) in CSM activities
- Support partner CSOs to improve GESI integration into the organizations’ mission and activities
- Oversee design of technical activities in civil society capacity building and monitoring evaluation
- Oversee staff and partners that legal analysis and policy review for CSM activities
- Conduct performance assessments of direct supervisees, identifying and recommending areas for improvement and opportunities for professional development
- Mentor and manage staff in a respectful and transparent manner, working with local staff to build their technical and administrative capacity
- At least 8-10 years senior level experience in civil society, governance, organizational capacity building, advocacy, rule of law, or other related democracy, rights, and governance sectors;
- At least five years of experience in gender and social inclusion;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and navigate politically sensitive terrain;
- Familiarity with USAID programming, including rules and regulations required;
- Professional proficiency in English required, including excellent written communication skills;
- Experience building CSO capacity;
- Experience with designing and drafting CSO related legislation; and
- Knowledge of the Nepal legal context, especially related to civil society.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
How to apply:
Apply to Job