Team Leader - Kenya Devolution Programme
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A non-profit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including governance and civil society, capacity development, public health, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.**
Pact in Kenya
Pact Kenya is currently implementing the Regional Approaches for Sustainable Conflict Management and Integration (RASMI) and Selam Ekisil (SEEK) cross-border programs funded by the European Union Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF). The projects adopt a conflict systems-based approach to promote peacebuilding, conflict management, and conflict resolution capacity at the community and cross-border levels. Geographically, RASMI works in three strategic cross border conflict systems spanning three countries, Kenya, Ethiopia, and Somalia (the Mandera Triangle) while, SEEK works in four cross-border conflict systems spanning Kenya (Marsabit and Turkana) and Ethiopia (South Omo Zone).
Pact in Kenya is leading a consortium comprising local and international development organizations to bid for the anticipated UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) Kenya Devolution Programme (KDP). The 4-5 year programme, which is projected to start in early 2021, has an overall goal of enabling Kenyan county governments and citizens to meet the challenges and opportunities of devolution. The expected outcomes at the end of the programme are: i) more effective, open and accountable county governments and ii) improved service delivery to citizens and poverty reduction at county level. KDP will deliver the following outputs: a) Intergovernmental relations that supports devolution. b) Effective county planning, public finance management and staff performance c) County government and citizens engage to improve service delivery and livelihoods d) Evidence generation, digital technology and learning enable public service delivery and reform e) UK Government portfolio in Kenya is better aligned with county government priorities.
Pact in Kenya seeks to recruit a qualified and experienced team leader for the KDP.
The Team Leader will provide technical leadership and management to the KDP. S/he will be the project focal person for all communication and engagement with FCDO. Specifically, the jobholder will provide sound project planning and management, manage and track all terms of the sub agreements with Consortium partners. S/he will lead stakeholder engagement with FCDO, National and respective County Governments. The Team Leader will foster a positive and collaborative relationship with the Council of Governors (COG), Regional Economic Blocks, Ministry of Devolution and ASAL (MODA), Sector Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), target county governments, multilateral organizations collaborating in KDP and host communities. S/he will lead and provide oversight for sound financial management, timely and quality reporting to FCDO and relevant line ministries/department/counties. S/He will be responsible for oversight and sound grant management of downstream Civil Society Organizations (CSO) at the county level. The incumbent will lead and manage diverse consortium workforce that includes; local and international senior management; technical advisors, staff and consultants. The Team Leader will be expected to ensure compliance with all internal and donor programme management requirements and in particular VFM and anti-fraud policies of FCDO.
· A post graduate qualification in public policy and administration, international development, or any other relevant qualification.
· Extensive experience with devolution and decentralization in Kenya or a similar context.
· Experience in governance, political economy and public policy issues on devolution including wide experience partnering with a range of government and non-governmental organizations to work on devolution, public expenditure management and inter-governmental relations
· Good understanding of the functioning of national and devolved governments, civil societies and how they interface with host communities.
· Knowledge of the political, social, and economic context in Kenya and ability to adapt programming to leverage opportunities and avert risks.
· At-least 10 years’ experience leading and managing complex multi-year governance programme grants in Kenya. Experience managing FCDO (DfID) funded programmes and applying an integrated approach to development programming will be added advantages.
· Over 12 years cumulative experience working with INGOs and/or other development agencies, including managing local and international consortium partners.
· Excellent relations with senior government officials at county and national level, donors, development partners and host communities.
· Excellent understanding of key government sector policies and plans, economic and fiscal frameworks and cross cutting issues i.e. youth, gender, peacebuilding and climate change.
· Experience managing programme technical staff, support teams and local and international consultants.
· Excellent communication, presentation, networking, representation and coordination skills.
· Proficient in use of Microsoft Application Software suite.
· Embraces Pact’s three core values of Local Solutions, Partnerships and Results
How to apply:
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should send an updated CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email as ‘Team Leader – Kenya Devolution Programme ’. Applicant CVs must include at least three professional referees with cell phone and / or Skype contacts for each referee. The closing date for applications is the 4th of December 2020. Interviews will take place on an ongoing basis as CVs are received
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
*Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.*
Apply to Job