SOCIAL SERVICE ADVISOR-HEALTH ADVISOR
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Galmudug Federal Member State of Somalia has concluded leadership elections on February 2, 2020. The New Galmudug State leaders are mandated to administer and govern the State for the next four years and deliver the State priority policies on Inclusive Politics, Security & Justice, Economic Development and Social Services. The President and Vice President are committed and have already embarked to lead the State to a new direction of development, stability, peaceful and prosperous State. The Vice President (VP) is managing a Galmudug priority delivery unit within the Presidency Office which will provide line Ministries and the State house with the capacity, technical knowledge, and expertise to develop systems, human resources needed and to empower institutions for better public service delivery.
The Delivery Unit (DU) will closely work with Pillar Coordination system of the NDP9, Federal and State Ministries of Planning and other line Ministries to ensure coherence approach and complementarity of delivering GM priorities. The DU will have sector specialists in Inclusive Politics, Economic Development, Gender and Human Rights and Social Services (Disaster risk management /resilience and Health).Each sector will be led by a sector advisor, with an overall advisory team leader reporting to VP and the line ministries on day to day activities.
The Social Services Advisor will mainly focus on Health Sector support based on Galmudug State priorities.
Health infrastructure is regarded to be utmost significance for social development in given nation and state as it not only makes provision of resources, materials and facilities to the individuals, which are necessary in promoting good health and well being, but it also provides to the communities, states and nation the capacity to prevent diseases, promote good health and well-being and prepare to respond to emergencies, chronic diseases, severe health problems and illnesses and challenges to health. Health infrastructure is regarded as the foundation for planning, delivering, evaluating and bringing about improvements in public health.
The provision of public health services is dependent upon the presence of basic infrastructural facilities. Health infrastructure is an important guide for promoting health care policy and welfare mechanism within the Galmudug State. It put emphasis upon making provision of health care facilities throughout the state. Infrastructure has been described as the basic provision for the delivery of public health activities in a productive and meaningful manner.
The five components of health infrastructure are skilled workforce, integrated electronic information systems, public health organizations, resources and research. One of the important factors is, in medical and health care centres, the problems and deficits need to be identified. When these are indentified, measures need to be formulated to bring about improvements by the government of Galmudug. Developments in health infrastructure will render a significant contribution in promoting health and well-being of all individuals, irrespective of age groups, communities, categories and backgrounds. In light of this background, the Health advisor will provide the Galmudug government in general and Ministry of Health and Human Development and the Office of the Vice of President strategic guidance and policy orientations in addressing the challenges of health infrastructure in Galmudug State to provide the necessary health services to the citizen of the state.
Key Responsibilities and deliverables
Roles and Responsibilities
· Contribute to the development of public and social sector services such as health, nutrition, education, labour, employment, water, sanitation and hygiene to name a few.
· Promote the well-being, dignity and quality of life of all citizens of Galmudug by progressively accelerating universal access to and utilization of basic social services, through consolidating efforts of the service delivery institutions and providing effective solutions to better access and care from public and social service providers;
· Over-arching working mechanisms in line with the various line ministries, mandated with different services needed to be delivered.
· Support in creating sub-working groups within this pillar given the array of services.
· Establishing a comprehensive approach to maintaining pillar cohesiveness during sub-working groups, streamlining service providers outside of government institutions to better grasp and map out a needs assessment throughout Galmudug, in consultation with administration state and council level.
· Coordinate Federal Pillar working group and State Pillar Working Groups
· Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for social development programs particularly health programs.
· Promote relationship building with stakeholders in Galmudug and wider Somalia, and collaborative work including technical capacity support, capacity building, shared learning mutual encouragement.
· Ensures synergy between activities Family Planning, Reproductive Health, MCH and other health programs as well as other governmental and non-governmental health activities by facilitating exchange of technical information, providing expert technical opinion and identifying opportunities for technical and programmatic partnerships and collaboration for effective resource utilization.
· Participate in donor meetings with Ministry of Health and Human Development and other line ministries as a senior-level technical advisor on social development in health perspectives.
· Participates as a Galmudug representative in technical programmatic and policy development meetings with the Ministry of Health and Human Development, representatives from other relevant line ministries and non-governmental partners.
Monitoring and Evaluation **
· Contribute to the development of an M&E framework to identify key benchmarks and review specific milestones and indicators.
· Monitor progress of priorities and milestones.
· Comprehensive Pillar 4 Strategy to enhance access and efficiency of public and social service delivery reflective of the pillar’s TOR, alignment with GSS Strategic Agenda and the NDP, by consolidating input from relevant institutions.
· Annual work plan, 2021-2022, with implementation plan detailed with planned programmes and projects in relation to the development of public and social services, outlining the planned and existing activities, roles and responsibilities, timelines, available and required resources and all stakeholders involved.
· Monthly highlights and detailed quarterly reports for the pillar working group highlighting progress, challenges encountered, and corrective actions proposed.
· Undertake the necessary revisions and adjustment to the Social and Public Service Development Pillar as priorities change or milestones are achieved, through consultation of the Cabinet.
· All other related activities to be further outlined and as detailed by pillar working group.
Qualifications and Experience
· Relevant Academic Degree and a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant work experience.
· At least 5 years of professional experience in fragile or conflict affected countries on public service delivery and professional work experience in Public Health and other health related fields.
· Sloid experience in the development of public and social services, preferably from Somali institutions.
· Experience in working with and providing policy and technical advice to high ranking officials preferably Somali Government institutions.
· In-depth knowledge and understanding of public and social services delivery obtained through direct work experience in conflict affected areas.
· Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues.
· Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations
· Capacity to create synergies and coordinate multiple programs and projects simultaneously.
· Ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently without supervision.
· Excellent interpersonal and communications including oral, written and negotiating skills.
· Specific experience in carrying out the functions and tasks described in this TOR.
· Fluency in English both written and oral (Advanced level)
· Fluency in Somali is an asset (Native or advanced Level)
The Health Advisor will direct report to the Ministry of Health and Human Development and closely work with the Presidency in Galmudug State of Somalia.
How to apply:
Only those interested candidates who meet the profile stated should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV to below link:
Apply to Job