Senior Researcher for Social Movements
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) is a disaggregated data collection, analysis, and crisis mapping project. The ACLED team conducts analysis to describe, explore, and test conflict scenarios, and makes both data and analysis open for free use by the public. ACLED material is regularly used to inform journalism, academic research, and public discourse on conflict, and to support the work of practitioners and policymakers. ACLED is the highest quality and most widely used real-time data and analysis source on political violence and protest around the world.
ACLED is recruiting a Senior Researcher for Social Movements. Senior Researchers must be available for at least 10 hours per week. This position is fully remote and can be done from any location with reliable internet service. This is a part-time contractor position. The position is expected to start in January 2021, but there is flexibility around the start date.
Specific roles and responsibility:
- Provide expertise on social movements, including but not limited to:
- Contribution to oversight of coverage (i.e. do ACLED trends reflect local realities) across regions
- In some cases, this may include coding data for specific contexts, per ACLED methodology
- Sources of information (e.g. identifying new sources to be included; ensuring current sources are properly covered, etc.)
- Access to local sources/networks a plus
- Identifying and liaising new partnerships, especially with local conflict observatories, in collaboration with respective ACLED Research Managers
- Contribute to analysis products on social movements
- Work in close partnership with respective Research Managers, Communications team, and Analysis team
- Provide commentary to media, drawing on ACLED data
- Engagement with donors and users
- Answer questions that may arise about social movements
Skills and competencies:
ACLED is seeking applicants who have the following skills and experience:
- Expertise in social movements
- Fluency in English
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong critical thinking and analysis skills
- Familiarity with Tableau data analysis and visualization software a plus
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to work remotely and meet deadlines with limited supervision (experience working in a remote environment preferred)
How to apply:
To apply, please visit ACLED's career portal to submit a CV and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience. Please submit a writing sample along with your cover letter in one document. Lastly, please note your required day or hourly rate.
Further information on the project is available online at acleddata.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early.
Apply to Job