NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Job purpose summary: To provide research support and editorial assistance, contributing to the development and delivery of Mokoro’s consultancy portfolio.
Salary: £19-23,000 per annum pro rata (dependent upon qualifications and experience)
Contract: Part-time: minimum 2.5 days per week (additional hours may be available, subject to business needs). Fixed term contract: 6 months (subject to extension depending on business needs and funding).
Location: Oxford/Flexible 
Reporting to: Principal Researcher
Working internally with: Programme Coordinator, Projects Coordinator, Finance Manager, Project Assistant, Research staff, Chief Executive, Principal Consultants and Associates.
A. About Mokoro
Established in 1982, Mokoro is a UK-based research and consultancy organisation providing technical expertise in economic and social development globally. We have undertaken more than 750 consultancy assignments in 80 countries worldwide, for national governments, multilateral and bilateral aid agencies, and NGOs. Mokoro’s core areas of expertise are: Aid Effectiveness; Public Policy and Management; Land, Livelihoods and Natural Resources; Reviews and Evaluations. The company draws its consulting capacity from its Principal Consultants, the technical staff team, and its wider network of associates. Further information on Mokoro’s background and current portfolio is at www.mokoro.co.uk. As a not-for-profit business, our values and commitment to high quality work are the primary drivers for what we do, and how we do it.
B. Role description
The Research Assistant is a member of Mokoro’s small, busy Oxford-based team (currently all working from home) and assists with the effective and efficient delivery of research support and outputs for Mokoro’s consultancy programme. The Research Assistant is supervised by a Principal Researcher, but works closely and collaboratively with all members of each assignment team (Principal Consultant/Team Leader, Associates, other researchers). The role also works with the business development/assignment management team and other staff and consultants as needed in contributing to a varied consultancy portfolio.
Assist with timely, quality research support on designated assignments; this may include:
- Support with stakeholder identification/ mapping, interview arrangements and tracking, coordination of fieldwork
- Accurate, comprehensive note-taking for interviews and in support of meetings and workshops
- Support in establishing and maintaining research/ assignment libraries
- Collate data and documentation, prepare syntheses (both numerical and narrative)
- Conduct literature reviews, background research and prepare bibliographies
- Carry out quantitative data analysis and presentation of data (e.g. diagrams/graphics), including contributing to the production of e-surveys
- Prepare report summaries (e.g. drafting abstracts)
- Draft sections/ contributions to reports (e.g. progress reports, technical outputs)
- Maintain and update project records as required
Editorial Support and Administration:
Assist with effective and efficient delivery of Mokoro’s consultancy programme; this may include:
- Proofreading, formatting and presentation of reports and other assignment outputs to high corporate standards
- Draft project-related communications materials for external presentation
- Support the preparation of company documentation for research/ consultancy proposals, e.g. CVs, project records.
- Contribute to knowledge management and learning at Mokoro
- Contribute to internal meetings, planning and monitoring processes
- Any other reasonable task as assigned by line manager
C. Person specification
Knowledge, skills and experience (E=essential D=desirable)
- Degree in a relevant discipline, e.g. social sciences, economics, international development (E); a postgraduate degree would be an advantage (D)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, with a sound ability to work effectively with a diverse and geographically dispersed team (E)
- Knowledge of the aid and development sector, including good awareness of key issues relating to one or more of Mokoro’s core thematic areas of work (E); proven experience related to one or more of Mokoro’s core thematic areas would be an advantage (D)
- Commitment to Mokoro’s approach to collaborative working, strong supportive relationships and high quality consultancy work (E).
- Proven ability to work effectively and proactively both independently and as part of a team (E)
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience gained in either the voluntary, private or public sectors (E)
- Some proven project/ research assistance experience (E)
- Demonstrable qualitative and quantitative research skills (E); competency in statistical/ quantitative software (e.g. SPSS) and other research software (e.g. MAXQDA, Online Survey) would be an advantage (D)
- Strong IT competency in all standard MS packages (E) Advanced skills in formatting in Word and in the use of Excel would be a considerable advantage (D)
- Accuracy and attention to detail (E) and proven ability to produce high quality documents in English for external publication (D)
- Additional language abilities relevant to Mokoro’s work would be an asset: French/ Spanish/ Portuguese/Arabic (D)
D. General terms and conditions
Hours: Part-time (minimum of 2.5 days) based on a 37.5 hour week. Usual office hours are 9am to 5.30pm UK time Monday to Friday. Some flexibility would be preferred, as hours required may depend on time zones of consultancy work.
Location: Flexible, preferably with the ability to be present in the Oxford office on a periodic basis e.g. twice a month (see footnote 1).
Leave: Annual leave entitlement is 25 days pro rata (as well as all English public holidays), plus an additional 3 days to be taken at Christmas, Eid or a similar observance.
Salary: Salary is paid monthly in arrears by credit transfer. Mokoro operates a contributory pension scheme.
Probationary period: There will be a two-month probationary period, with a review carried out after one month, and again at the end of two months.
Notice: Two weeks during the probationary period; one month’s notice upon satisfactory completion of probationary period.
 During the current COVID-19 context, the staff team are all working from home. Flexible part-office, part-home working arrangements are being considered for the long-term. We are undertaking a review of “Ways of Working” at the moment.
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and a covering letter outlining why you feel you are a suitable fit for this position at Mokoro, including specific examples of how your skills and experience meet the person specification requirements outlined above. Please also highlight if you have particular interest and experience in one of Mokoro’s core thematic areas. If you have any comments on preferred working arrangements, please include those as well. Your cover letter should confirm your availability for initial interview on-line on Tuesday, 15 or Wednesday, 16 December 2020 and also say what your available start date would be. A start in January 2021 would be preferred.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com indicating ‘Research Assistant’ in the subject header, by 12:00 noon on Tuesday, 8 December 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by Thursday, 10 December 2020.
Please note that applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK.
Mokoro reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Apply to Job