Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Location: Bamako, Mali
Department of Research, Monitoring & Evaluation
Supervised by: Director of Research, Monitoring & Evaluation
Supervises: M&E Coordinators, Data Scientist
Muso believes no one should die waiting for health care. That’s why we’ve set out to create a cure for delay. We build health systems to save lives by reaching patients faster, within hours of the moment they become sick. To do this, we partner with communities facing extreme poverty.
Muso has spent more than a decade creating and improving our Proactive Care model, preparing it to serve the global effort for universal health care. We have documented rapid health improvements across the populations we serve: a 2018 study found that communities we serve in Mali, which previously saw some of the world’s highest child mortality rates, sustained child mortality rates lower than any country in sub-Saharan Africa for five years, and ultimately reached a rate on par with that of the United States. Patient access to care increased tenfold. Muso now serves the governments of Mali and Cote d’Ivoire in their efforts to translate the results of this research into national policy and practice.
We provide proactive health care to 350,000 patients in peri-urban and rural Mali and embed rigorous academic research and strategic advocacy to identify and share strategies that can accelerate global efforts for child survival, maternal health, and universal health care. Given the transformations in health care access and survival Muso has documented, over the next five years our direct service, research, and advocacy will work to advance a new global model for health care. Learn more about our work at www.musohealth.org.
About the position:
The M&E Manager will assist the Director of the department of Research Monitoring & Evaluation in designing and implementing data and M&E systems for continuous learning and accountability. S/he will ensure complete and quality programmatic data are made available and accessible to program designers, implementers and decision-makers on a regular basis to iteratively improve practices. His/her work will focus on measuring intervention inputs and activities, and their direct effects on health worker and health system performance. This scope of work is complementary to that of the Research Manager, who conducts longer term research studies to measure intervention effects on population health and survival.
● Sets agendas and designs systems for monitoring, evaluation and continuous learning to help strengthen health system performance.
● Owns the collaborative process of identifying strategic, measurable indicators to monitor Muso’s programmatic activities and measure implementation fidelity at the community and health facility levels.
● Identifies and designs systems, evaluations and secondary analyses to answer key, strategic questions related to intervention/program outputs on health service provision.
● Builds, leads and supervises a team to assist in creating and implementing the operational plan, including improving data and monitoring-evaluation systems, collecting de novo data, conducting data quality assurance checks, analyzing and visualizing indicators, and communicating and disseminating findings.
● Cultivates an organization-wide environment that encourages data ownership and data use to make decisions at a programmatic/operational level.
● Accompanies government partners in measuring program implementation and outcomes at scale using routine health data and designing evaluations as needed.
● Leads the creation of annual plans and budgets for M&E portfolio of the department aligned with long-term strategic goals; systematically tracks progress to deliver on goals and priorities, adjusting plans and budgets as needed to achieve overall strategy; monitors spend-down of the M&E budget, identifying opportunities for cost-savings as well as unanticipated costs that require further mobilization of funds.
● Supports growth of the team through mentorship, supervision, feedback, and identifying and advocating for professional development opportunities for team members; provides supervision and mentorship through at least weekly check-ins with direct reports.
● Assists the Partnerships Managers of the Development team in writing and reporting on funding applications to pursue our mission.
You need to have:
● Master’s in social science, measurement or health-related field plus 3+ years professional work experience in a similar role OR 5+ years professional work experience in the health evaluation space, with progressively increasing responsibility.
● Expertise in participatory, adaptive and mixed-method approaches to evaluation, quality improvement, and data-use to support evidence-based decision making.
● Proven ability to think through all elements of an implementation science project in the health sector, from conception to implementation to changes in practice/policy.
● Experience developing indicators, developing data collection tools, overseeing data collection, and leading data quality initiatives.
● Expertise in basic data cleaning, data management and statistical analysis using one or more statistical software packages (Stata preferred OR willingness to learn Stata).
● Exemplary doer-manager with a proven ability to simultaneously manage an independent portfolio as well as a team of people in order to set and meet deadlines and achieve goals.
● Exceptional organizational, project management, and time management skills.
● Experience as a manager with knowledge and practice in approaches to supportive supervision.
● Track record of consensus building and managing relationships with diverse stakeholders.
● Excellent written and verbal communication and listening skills in English and French.
● Demonstrated commitment to healthcare as a human right and social justice.
You will impress us if you have:
● Experience in training and building M&E capacity among health practitioners.
● Experience collaborating with public sector partners in health.
● Experience with writing evaluation protocols, grants, and manuscripts in English or French.
● Experience in performing data extractions and with using relational databases (e.g. Postgresql, Google BigQuery).
● Expertise in DHIS2 data system.
● Expertise in the design and use of data collection systems and tools.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Monitoring & Evaluation Manager”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The application deadline is rolling, but interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Muso is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply to Job