Manager, Private Sector Business Development
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Opportunity Development (OPD) - Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Opportunity Development team contributes to realizing this purpose by overseeing Pact’s new business development activities. Every member of the Opportunity Development team at Pact is committed to sharing in the success of the organization, its peers, and individual accomplishments. The Opportunity Development team is managed through a matrixed structure that promotes winning proposals through collaboration. The team offers team members, both experienced and new professionals, opportunities for learning and professional development. Ideal candidates bring positive energy to this dynamic work environment.
Pact seeks a Manager to pro-actively grow and deepen relationships with corporate and foundation funders. Based on Pact’s ability to deeply understand community needs, convene the right stakeholders, and rapidly implement and scale solutions in country, the Manager will advance Pact’s engagement with both companies and communities through shared value approaches – ensuring companies are able to meet their business objectives while also addressing poverty and marginalization. By understanding corporate and foundation objectives, broader funder trends, and Pact’s technical strategies, the Manager will work with colleagues across Pact to identify, market, and fundraise for (1) partnerships and programming that drive Pact’s and clients’ mission objectives, (2) social enterprise opportunities that fill gaps in the broader development ecosystem, and (3) consulting services that are of interest to both current and prospective clients. Ideal candidates will blend strategic, analytical thinking with business modeling and value proposition to structure successful partnerships and craft winning proposals.
The Manager will work closely with technical leads across Pact’s portfolio, including mining, health, livelihoods, governance, capacity development, renewable energy, and natural resource management. This position will enable corporate and foundation engagement across the broader organization and provide leadership in identifying and cultivating new relationships. Up to 33% travel (domestic and international) may be required when safe and appropriate.
Business Development Strategy:
- Actively lead the development of corporate and foundation fundraising aligned with country, regional, and technical impact strategies
- Build a network of professional business contacts within Pact's industry; negotiate partnership arrangements and budgets; and coordinate teaming agreements, memoranda of understanding, and other institutional agreements with partners.
- Monitor trends and business intelligence across Pact’s sectors, identifying sector-specific and cross-cutting opportunities for partnership
- Engage with private sector partners to identify problems/opportunities within their value chains and to co-create solutions to those problems – improving efficiency and profitability for those partners while ensuring social impact
- Maintain relationship management and organizational databases (Salesforce) and conduct analysis of Pact's proposal development activities
Proposal Design and Development:
- Lead the end-to-end development of corporate, foundation, multilateral, and bilateral proposals across a wide range of Pact's technical areas and countries
- Collaborate with funders, program officers, country representatives, and other staff to conceptualize and design proposals for new and follow-on project activities
- Coordinate the development of budget proposals with Finance and Agreements Management teams for review and to negotiate final awards with donors
Organizational BD Support:
- Provide business modeling guidance for new revenue and delivery models of Pact’s core technical expertise (e.g., consulting models, etc)
- Actively harvest relationships across Pact countries, within Pact countries, or across Pact sectors, looking beyond core partnerships for other areas of collaboration
- Provide guidance and matrixed supervision to regional business development hires, particularly on client engagement, concepts, and proposals
- Work with Integrated Communications on communications and campaigns in support of corporate and foundation fundraising
- Develop and manage a cost-share strategy for work with USAID and other funders
BA and at least 9 years of experience in business development, corporate social responsibility, international development, and/or partnership building
Demonstrated track record of fundraising across a corporate and foundation portfolio, including demonstrated success with new partnerships and revenue generation
Experience conceptualizing, selling, and securing shared value partnerships and/or responsible sourcing
Significant prior experience in proposal development across a range of funders and technical areas, ideally aligned with Pact’s funders and technical areas
Highly collaborative and experience driving results in an informal, matrixed environment
Critical thinker with a can-do approach to problem solving, disaggregating large/complex problems to identify underlying drivers and critical nuances
Comfort with ambiguity and managing workload given shifting and/or competing priorities
Highly analytical with strong quantitative and research capabilities
Excellent written and oral communication skills, including quickly researching and synthesizing unfamiliar topics
Other required skills and abilities:
Ability to work in a matrix management structure
Excellent attention to detail
Ability to multitask with ease, adapting to frequently changing priorities
Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
Ability to cultivate and maintain professional relationships with internal colleagues and contacts in donor and peer organizations
- Advanced degree in international relations, public health, and/or MBA
- Active and demonstrated network with corporate and foundation relationships, including CSR and shared value professionals
- Expertise in one or more of Pact’s impact areas
- Experience in international development (e.g., program delivery) and/or in geographies where Pact operates (e.g., Africa, Southeast Asia)
- Working knowledge and understanding of international development donor policies and regulations
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
How to apply:
Please click here to apply for this position.
Apply to Job