Kenya Senior Associate (Consultant)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Organization You Want to Work For
Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit organization that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development: developmentgateway.org
Our core focus areas are Resource Management (open contracting and procurement, aid management, and extractives); Effective Service Delivery (agriculture, health, data management systems, monitoring/evaluation/learning); and Data Strategy & Policy (including results data, data standards, and open data advocacy).
We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We value hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor.
This consultancy is based in Nairobi, Kenya. Ability to live and work legally in Kenya required.
The initial consultancy term is for up to one year, with the option to extend based on performance and need.
The Elevator Pitch
The Senior Associate (Consultant) is responsible for managing client relationships, performing qualitative research, and overseeing progress on project/technical implementations. Our projects include (i) implementation of data management, visualization and dissemination tools, (ii) evaluating and strengthening the decision making environment for data use, and (iii) applied research on how data and technology influence development and policy.
In this capacity, you will manage globally-situated partners and projects, support product innovation, and lead assessments of systems and user needs. A wide degree of creativity, latitude, and responsibility is expected. Up to 30% subnational and international travel possible (when public health guidance permits).
The Work You Get To Do
Project Management and Implementation
● Works closely with clients to understand data use challenges and document technical and operational needs. Collaborates with partners and technical staff to ensure that project milestones are met on time, within budget, and done to client satisfaction.
● Builds relationships with national and subnational government ministries, CSOs and/or private sector partners to successfully enable data sharing and data use.
● Designs and conducts qualitative research and assessments, and data analysis for sectors including agriculture, health policy, and financial transparency.
● Collects and maintains requirements for IT systems that manage decision support data for governments and international organizations. Responsible for conceptual design and defining business rules, user stories, and user interfaces.
● Provides support and documentation for improving and creating clear data management processes. Conducts system testing. Leads training sessions.
Business Development, Relationship Development, & Innovation
● Identifies and develops new and follow-on business opportunities. Leads and supports proposal preparation and submission.
The Education and Experience You Have and We Need
● Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree a bonus. Candidates from all academic backgrounds encouraged to apply.
● 5+ years experience in project management, technology development, or data for international development. Experience working with governments preferred.
● Proven track record of working with bilateral or multilateral development agencies is a plus; prior experience working with the US Millennium Challenge Corporation or USAID a huge plus.
● Fluency in English required; fluency in French, Kiswahili, or another language a significant advantage.
Gourmet chefs welcome, but more importantly:
● You have strong problem solving skills, and enjoy getting things done while keeping clients happy and building relationships.
● You can work effectively both autonomously and as a great teammate, influencing others' attitudes and behaviors through example.
● You have effective project management and presentation skills, and are known for your commitment to continuous product and process improvement.
● You have a solid ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced, creative environment. Entrepreneurial attitude and skills important.
● You're comfortable working with data using spreadsheets, simple databases, and/or statistical software packages.
● You can communicate easily with both technical and non-technical staff and maintain good communication with our geographically dispersed team.
● You use strong organizational skills to handle a broad workload, meet deadlines and work under your own initiative.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention “Kenya Senior Associate (Consultant)” in the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The projected pay range for this position is between $26 and $30/hour.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and lived experience. We strongly encourage applications from people whose identities are underrepresented in the sectors where DG works. DG does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply to Job