Innovation Campus Bonn Focal Point
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
United Nations University Objectives:
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu.
The United Nations University Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE):
UNU-ViE, established in 2007, is one of two Vice-Rectorates and the only one located outside Japan. UNU-ViE seeks to strengthen the presence of UNU in Europe and supports the worldwide institutional development of UNU by facilitating collaboration across UNU and the UN, and sharing knowledge and expertise through the development of joint activities and projects. In addition to its core mandate, it administers the central units providing service to both UNU-ViE and UNU-EHS. For more information, please visit: www.vie.unu.edu
United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of Research and Training Institutes. Its mission is to carry out cutting edge research on risks and adaptation related to environmental hazards and global change. The Institute’s research promotes policies and programmes to reduce these risks, while taking into account the interplay between environmental and societal factors. For more information, please visit: www.ehs.unu.edu.**
UNU-EHS is a member of the Bonn Alliance for Sustainability Research/ Innovation Campus Bonn (ICB), www.bonnalliance-icb.de.
Under the authority and supervision of the Vice-Rector in Europe and Director of UNU-EHS, the responsibilities of the successful candidate will be, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing ongoing and initiating new collaboration at EHS with the Bonn Alliance/ ICB in close cooperation with the focal points and the Head Office of the Bonn Alliance;
- Developing a foresight research agenda on sustainability, equality and wellbeing, specifically in the area of beyond/green GDP and wellbeing integrating circular economy/nature-based solutions approach at UNU-EHS;
- Conducting research in the aforementioned areas and publish research results, together with other researchers at UNU-EHS, Bonn Alliance partners and beyond, in international peer-reviewed journals and book chapters;
- Translating the existing research results into policy briefs;
- Designing and organizing both virtual and physical event series on the joint topics of EHS, and the Bonn Alliance/ ICB;
- Disseminating information on the research results in the respective area and Bonn Alliance/ ICB activities internally and externally;
- Actively seeking for additional funding to expand the aforementioned research area;
- Contributing to the analysis, mapping and identification of potential opportunities within the Bonn Alliance/ ICB;
- Contributing to the educational activities of UNU-EHS, including supervising MSc students;
- Other projects/duties as assigned by the Vice-Rector/Director of UNU-EHS.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
· A PhD degree in Psychology, Philosophy, Development Studies, Economics, Geography, Environmental Science, or other related field to the post and working area of UNU-EHS;
· At least four (4) years of progressively relevant work experience in research and academia, some of which preferably in an international setting;
- Strong publication profile in the areas related to the beyond/green GDP and wellbeing;
· Strong track record in securing third party funding and managing third-party funded projects;
- Experience with German research funding system, project administration and reporting is an asset.
· Proven experience in developing and maintaining partnerships is required;
- Experience in organizing seminars, workshops, and conferences;
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
· Excellent command of English for scientific writing.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duration of Contract:
This is a full-time employment on a one-(1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with the possibility of renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post and no relocation allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor is he/she a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
Starting Date: As soon as possible**
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their applications by e-mail (to firstname.lastname@example.org), and must include the following:
· A cover letter setting out how their qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
· Full contact information of three referees; and the application must also indicate the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2020/UNU/ViE/PSA/ICBFP/81).
Apply to Job