Head of Support - Yemen
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Rôle / *Overall activities*
- Ensure the efficient management of finance and support services for Geneva Call, including Logistics, Finance, Human Resources and Administration.
- Provide strategic oversight of the support services departments across the Geneva Call programme in Yemen, ensuring that best practice is being implemented
- Lead the support services departments on system/process innovation and standardization to ensure transparency, accountability and a robust system of internal control
- Review performance of support services departments against Geneva Call policy, including spot checks/internal audits of the various departments as necessary
- Ensure good communication and coordination between support and technical teams, ensuring administrative systems and procedures effectively support operations
Support the Country Director to ensure that Geneva Call meets all in-country legal requirements including in country registration/accreditation
Superviseur / *Managing line*
Managing line: Country Director
Technical line: Operations Coordinator/Deputy Head of Region and HQ HR Officer and Finance Officer
Role and Responsibilities
- Support the CD and Country Programme in the formulation, implementation and monitoring of annual business/project plans, budgets and forecasts
- Produce monthly Budget v Actual reports and present these to GC country management, highlighting potential issues with current projects and propose mitigating strategies
- Identify and report on financial trends, working collaboratively with the country management to produce options/scenarios/corrective action plans that ensure ongoing financial stability for the Country Programme
- Produce donor format budgets and budget narratives, as well as donor financial reports for review and submission.
- Ensure compliance with Geneva Call and Donor policies
- Create, maintain and implement a cost allocation system, ensuring that direct and indirect costs are allocated appropriately
- Provide financial management oversight and support, developing the capacity and career development of National staff, ensuing financial consistency and quality.
- Oversee all Financial Accounting matters, including maintenance of the general ledger, balance sheet, receipts, payments and payroll requirements
- Oversee the cash flow requirements of the programme, liaising with Geneva Call HQ to facilitate cash transfers.
- Manage the effects of exchange rate fluctuations between local and contract currencies, highlighting upcoming issues early and identifying mitigating strategies.
- Oversee the financial management of partner delivery contracts
- Lead on audit matters
- Manage and review the monthly accounts closing process for the programme, ensuring HQ deadlines are met
Human resources :
- Provide HR Management support to the country management to ensure a strategic approach to HR issues, promoting good management practice, and strengthening HR capacity throughout the programme.
- Develop, monitor and review national staff HR framework to ensure legal compliance and best practice within the country programme.
- Develop management capacity and understanding of HR and people management issues to ensure sustainable HR frameworks, improve employee relations and enhance job performance and productivity.
- Manage and review the monthly leave tracking and payroll reporting cycle for national staff to ensure that any issues are flagged and followed up on a timely basis, and payroll deadlines are met
- In conjunction with the HRO, manage the nominal roll and staff database review process to ensure that any changes are updated on a timely basis.
- Ensure monthly reporting mechanisms for national staff HR and circulated as relevant including recruitment, leave and operational staffing gaps.
Logistics / Security
- Ensure that all procurement and logistics activity is carried out in line with policies and procedures, donor requirements and INGO best practice, maintaining appropriate controls and accountability, ensuring best value for GC.
- Provide technical logistics and procurement expertise to the programme senior management to guide the development of budgets, proposals and operational plans, ensuring that new projects are appropriately resourced and costed.
- Develop and update programme procurement plans to ensure timely procurement and a smooth supply chain to enable the efficient running of operations.
- Manage the end-to-end procurement process, in line with GC and donor procurement procedures, ensuring control of the supply chain, and that value for money is achieved.
- Oversee the selection and appointment of suppliers in line with procurement procedures, conducting local market surveys, competitive tendering processes and the development of fit for purpose supply agreements.
- Ensure all safety and security communications, transports, and housing material and equipment is available and properly functioning
- Ensure a proper filing system of both HR contracts, accountancy and premises & services contracts
- Elaborate and update a contract management table
- Work within the framework of Geneva Call’s core values, promoting its ethos and mission statement.
- Work towards achieving programme and/or department business plan objectives
- Ensure familiarity with and adhere to all Geneva Call policies and procedures.
- Undertake and apply learning from appropriate training and development programmes.
- Undertake role in developing countries and areas in conflict where standards of living may be basic.
- Undertake the role in a manner appropriate to the cultural context and within the local legal framework.
- Understand and uphold the standards outlined in Geneva Call’s Safeguarding Framework, acting with due care and attention to safeguard the wellbeing of anyone that comes into contact with Geneva Call’s work and reporting concerns if they do arise.
Education and experience
- Demonstrable experience working in International Aid and development with a Humanitarian Agency in a developing country, preferable in Yemen
- Experience of developing, implementing and using logistics and administrative systems and procedures
- Development of new business proposal budgets in competitive environments
- Experience of overseeing complex financial planning, monitoring, forecasting and reporting in an overseas environment
Excellent people management experience with proven ability to lead and manage national staff
- Effective financial management skills including complex financial scenario planning
- Project and Programme costing
- Good understanding of financial risk management approaches
Production of high quality financial reporting and analysis
English (C1-C2) - Arabic is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment. Developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal) at a level appropriate for high level external representation and ability to tailor communications to different audiences
- Interpersonal skills with experience of negotiation with weapon bearers and other stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial mindset
Willingness and ability to travel at short notice
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.
How to apply:
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com, ref: "Head of Support Yemen" no later than 15 December 2020.
Apply to Job