Gender and Human Rights Advisor
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Galmudug Federal Member State of Somalia has concluded leadership elections on February 2, 2020. The New Galmudug State leaders are mandated to administer and govern the State for the next four years and deliver the State priority policies on Inclusive Politics, Security & Justice, Economic Development and Social Services. The President and Vice President are committed and have already embarked to lead the State to a new direction of development, stability, peaceful and prosperous State. The Vice President (VP) is managing a Galmudug priority delivery unit within the Presidency Office which will provide line Ministries and the State house with the capacity, technical knowledge, and expertise to develop systems, human resources needed and to empower institutions for better public service delivery.
The Delivery Unit (DU) will closely work with Pillar Coordination system of the NDP9, Federal and State Ministries of Planning and other line Ministries to ensure coherence approach and complementarity of delivering GM priorities. The DU will have sector specialists in Inclusive Politics, Economic Development, Gender and Human Rights and Social Services (Disaster risk management /resilience and Health).Each sector will be led by a sector advisor, with an overall advisory team leader reporting to VP and the line ministries on day to day activities.
The Gender and Human Rights Advisor will mainly focus on ensuring the quality and results of Gender and Human programs implemented in Galmudug based on the State priorities.
The promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women are central to the mandate of Galmudug State of Somalia in particular and Federal Government of Somalia in general and intrinsic to their development approach. This effort includes advocating for women’s and girls’ equal rights, combating discriminatory practices and challenging the roles and stereotypes that affect inequalities and exclusion. The sustainable development pathways area of work provides an opportunity to address inequalities and reshape policies to empower women and girls in all their diversity, so that they can become catalytic agents of change and equal partners with men in the quest to promote growth that is inclusive, just equitable and sustainable. With women’s engagement, success in eradicating poverty, promoting sustainable consumption and production patterns and sustainable management of natural resources can be achieved. Ensuring women’s and men’s equal participation in governance processes, and their equal benefits from services, are preconditions for the achievement of inclusive and effective democratic governance in Somalia in particular and the world in general.**
Since Somalia has ratified Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR 1948), Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW 1966) and other international human rights treaties that call for gender equality and observance of the rights of citizens and visitors in the country, the Gender and Human Right Advisor is of paramount important to provide guidance to the novice state of Galmudug that is eager to establish viable institutions that will provide adequate and inclusive services and rights to its citizens amidst COVID-19 pandemic crisis in Somalia in particular and the globe in general.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Ensuring that all pillar activities and projects present gender mainstreamed components.
· Identify gaps and channel key recommendations and messaging to pillars, as necessary, to influence policy and practice on gender mainstreaming.
· Organize the logistics of preparation meetings to discuss the gender component in Pillar activities and projects to be pipelined.
· Report on ongoing projects related to gender gaps and inform all relevant stakeholders.
· Developing various trainings on gender mainstreaming in all pillar activities and projects.
· Administrative support to pillar advisory group, partners and cabinet when they wish to conduct meetings, workshops, trainings and other special events relating to gender areas.
Monitoring and Evaluation
· Contribute to the development of an M&E framework to identify key benchmarks and review specific milestones and indicators within the pillars for gender components.
· Monitor progress of priorities and milestones.
· Reporting on all Cabinet, Pillar working group meetings through minuting sessions and noting gender references.
· Ensuring gender components and related activated are present in the pillar strategies to be developed.
· Ensure all annual work plans, 2021-2022, with implementation plan detailed with planned programmes and projects outline gender mainstreamed activities and give clear benchmarks to be met.
· Monthly highlights and detailed quarterly reports on the pillar working groups highlighting progress, challenges encountered, and corrective actions proposed in relation to gender mainstreaming.
· All other related activities to be further outlined and as detailed by pillar working groups.
Qualifications and Experience
· Relevant Academic Degree and a minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience.
· At least 5 years of professional experience in fragile or conflict affected countries on gender related issues.
· Solid experience in the development of gender policies, research and analysis and training development.
· Experience in working with and providing policy and technical advice to high ranking officials preferably Somali Government institutions.
· In-depth knowledge and understanding of Gender issues in patriarchal societies obtained through direct work experience in conflict affected areas.
· Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues.
· Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations
· Capacity to create synergies and coordinate multiple programs and projects simultaneously.
· Ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently without supervision.
· Excellent interpersonal and communications including oral, written, and negotiating skills.
· Specific experience in carrying out the functions and tasks described in this TOR
· Fluency in English both written and oral (Advanced level)
· Fluency in Somali is an asset (Native or advanced Level)
The Gender and Human Rights Advisor will direct report to the Director General in the Ministry of Women and Human Rights Development in Galmudug State of Somalia.
How to apply:
Only those interested candidates who meet the profile stated should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV to below link:
Apply to Job