Finance and Operations Officer
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Summary of the Position
USP Kenya is seeking for a Finance and Operations Officer who will be responsible for financial management, accounting, and operations in support of PQM+ program implementation in Kenya. The Finance and Operations Officer will report to the Senior Finance and Operations Manager in Kenya and will work closely with USP headquarters. S/he will oversee all project financial transactions which includes but is not limited to: accounts payable functions to include processing payroll, processing payroll, processing of invoices, expenditures monitoring and financial reporting, bank reconciliation and accounts analysis, preparation and processing of local tax returns and budget monitoring. The Finance and Operations Officer will also provide operations and administrative support to PQM+ Kenya. S/he will also be responsible for auditing financial information, compiling and submitting reports to Global Finance at headquarters. As a key member of the PQM+ Kenya Operations team, the Finance and Operations Officer will ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial transactions and use sound judgment in assuring all costs are reasonable and in compliance with USP, donor, and local government policies and regulations.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Oversee all project financial transactions, including deposits, receipts and vouchers for payment disbursements.
· Develop monthly cash projections of project financial needs for procurement, support of project activities, staff payroll, subcontract/vendor payments, operational expenses, staff travel, and on- hand cash requirements.
· Analyze and prepare financial and administrative reports as required by Senior Finance and Operations Manager and headquarters.
· Complete the month-end close process in close coordination with Senior Finance and Operations Manager, including preparation of account reconciliations, journal entries, and variance analyses and submit package to Global Finance at HQ in timely manner.
· Ensure transactions are properly recorded and reported using appropriate accounting software system and maintain all computerized accounting systems and records.
· Ensure each payment has the relevant supporting document/s, payment documents are prepared accurately, and processed in timely manner.
· Review and process payroll and employees’ expense/petty cash payments update new hires and terminations in payroll system. Manage timesheets of all office staff ensuring timely submission, approval, accuracy and filing.
· Process returns and all other local tax obligations (including payroll tax, pension deduction and all other local statutory taxes) to the appropriate government agencies.
· Maintain proper documentation for relevant financial transactions including scanning and maintaining a comprehensive and efficient filling system.
· Track/monitor monthly expenditures against approved budget. Prepare monthly financial expense reports and cash and bank reconciliation statements. Serve as the focal point for project banking matters.
· Prepare day to day VAT coupon usage report and maintain internal tracking of VAT-related expenses.
· Support the annual work plan budgeting process and assist the development of proposal budget for new business opportunities.
· Review budget submitted by program staff for each upcoming activity, ensure accuracy, process for approval, and ensure appropriate advance/payment is made in timely manner.
· Maintain all financial and accounting files and documents according to USP document management policies and procedures.
· Assist in the preparation and coordination of the audit process.
· Ensure that procurement activities are conducted in a timely and compliant manner and manage inventory and office supplies in line with relevant regulations with consultation with USP HQ Global Finance.
· Perform logistics function including management of travel arrangements, meeting/workshop logistical arrangements, etc. to support effective and efficient project implementation
· Manage office inventory /assets and government property, as applicable in compliance with USAID rules and regulations.
· Maintain a comprehensive and efficient filing system for good records keeping and document management.
· Perform other related tasks as required.
· Bachelor’s degree in finance and/or accounting and local equivalent of chartered accountant certification
· Three (3) or more years progressive professional accounting and/or financial management experience, preferably in the non-profit and/or development sector
· Demonstrated working experience on a USAID or other international donor-funded project in Kenya.
· Knowledge of applicable local and national rules and regulations, and policies governing financial and administrative processes
· Demonstrated experience with MS Excel, word PowerPoint, and accounting software, experience with QuickBooks preferred but not required
· Meticulous attention to detail, as well as outstanding critical thinking and problem-solving skills
· Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, show initiative, solve problems, prioritize, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, meet deadlines, and remain calm under pressure
· Hard working and attention to detail is essential.
· Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
· Self-management (i.e., motivation, dealing with pressure, adaptability) and the ability to project a professional, consistent image of confidence, integrity, honesty and competence.
· Proven ability to work in a team
· Fluency in national language and proficiency in written and oral English.
How to apply:
Please submit your application to GPHKenyaRecruitment@USP.org quoting the position "Finance and Operations Officer" in the email subject matter, by December 4, 2020.
Apply to Job