Environmental & Social Risk Specialist
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The AECF (Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund) is a nonprofit institution supporting early and growth stage businesses to innovate, create jobs, leverage investments and markets in an effort to create resilience and sustainable incomes for rural poor and marginalized communities in Africa.
AECF’s strategy is focused on agribusiness/agriculture and renewable energy sectors with increased support to climate technologies, deepened focus on gender, youth, and employment, aimed at attaining the institution’s vision of ‘A Prosperous and Enterprising Rural Africa’.
Since 2008, AECF has invested in 292 businesses across sub-Sahara Africa focusing on Agribusiness, Renewable Energy and Climate Technologies. As at 2019, we have impacted more than 27.7 million lives and created over 26,000 jobs and leveraged over US$ 750 million in matching funds from the private sector.
About Kakuma Kalobeyei Challenge Fund (KKCF)
AECF is the implementing partner of IFC for KKCF, a competitive financing mechanism for disbursing donor funding to incentivize for-profit companies, social enterprises, local and refugee entrepreneurs to start or scale existing operations in the Kakuma-Kalobeyei area, in Northern Kenya. IFC and AECF are keen to ensure efficient management of social environment and governance risks for the KKCF program and across AECF.
AECF is seeking to recruit a dynamic, proactive, passionate and results-oriented E&S Specialist
to oversee implementation of the Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) at AECF both at an institutional level and within the AECF portfolio and to act as the Grievance Officer for AECF stakeholders.
The incumbent shall be required to conduct the E&S appraisal of a prospective project, as well as the ongoing supervision of E&S performance of portfolio projects consistent with the approved ESMS policies, procedures and manuals. Additionally, the Specialist will act as the custodian of Grievance Response Mechanism (GRM), including administration of the complaints process, monitoring the handling of complaints, and suggesting changes to policies or practices based on lessons learned.
The role will be based in Nairobi with frequent travel to Kakuma.
• Operationalize the ESMS framework that has been developed for the institution. Support in driving the education, communication and implementation of the ESMS.
• Review and update the E&S Policy and Tools.
• Monitor changing laws, regulations and corporate directives relating to E&S and update the relevant documentation.
• Develop an E&S training framework for the AECF Board, Staff and all the beneficiaries of AECF programmes including the Kakuma-Kalobeyei Challenge Fund (KKCF).
• Participate in selection of KKCF beneficiaries which will involve working with a team to mark concept notes; screen and categorize transactions based on their environmental and social risk, conduct environmental and social due diligence; and monitor the investee’s environmental and social performance.
• Review all available information and documentation (material) related to project environmental and social impacts and hazards, conduct an E&S appraisal of all prospective projects, as well as the ongoing supervision of E&S performance of portfolio projects consistent with the material and company’s policies and procedures.
• During the on-site due diligence phase, conduct site inspections, review facility-based records, and interview key staff and relevant stakeholders (regulatory officials, community leaders, suppliers, and customers) for purposed of identifying any E & S issues.
• Analyse project environmental and social performance in relation to the Company’s Environmental and Social policy, including IFC Performance Standards. Where required, support development of Environmental & Social Action Plans (ESAPs) for beneficiaries and Monitor implementation.
• Provide guiding reports to management on the E & S issues identified and the corresponding actions that will be necessary for AECF to invest in a project.
• Monitor regularly the recommendations for E&S for each investee to confirm implementation, in collaboration with the portfolio team.
• Identification of beneficiaries that could be considered for E&S Technical Assistance.
• Review project monitoring reports provided by the beneficiaries and the E&S officer regarding implementation of ESAPs and overall E&S performance of the company. Identify and Escalate significant E&S incidents and any corrective actions that might be necessary to KKCF management (AECF & IFC).
• Prepare E$S reports on the portfolio for Management, the Board and IFC or any other stakeholder as required.
• Act as the liaison between AECF and NEMA and any other regulatory authorities, where required.
• Coordinate management of all grievances related to the KKCF program.
• Custodian of GRM, including management of the complaints process, monitoring the handling of complaints, and suggesting changes to policies or practices based on lessons learned.
• Being the focal person for management of grievances, the incumbent shall be involved in registration of received grievances, tracking, participation in internal and external grievance committees. The Officer shall also establish appropriate communication channels with the grievant(s) and ensure appropriate resolution/closure of all grievances reported.
Required qualifications and experience:
• Advanced degree (Masters required) in a relevant discipline including Environment, Law, Social Science, Development, Economics or other relevant discipline;
• Professional qualifications in ESG/EHS and Safety Management Systems, or related International Standards.**
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in environment and social risk management with at least 5 years working with development projects and development partners.
• Experience in implementing an ESMS framework.
• Good understanding of ISO 14001 principles
• Knowledge of IFC’s Sustainability Framework and Performance Standards;
• Supportive leader, with an ability to provide culturally sensitive and effective feedback and identify strengths and growth opportunities in colleagues.
• Experience designing and conducting E&S training and development of E&S communication materials. **
• Experience working in a refugee or comparable setup is highly desirable. **
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to apply:
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “E&S Specialist – AECF/ESG/2020” and attach a detailed CV with correct e-mail address and telephone contacts. To be considered, your application must be received by Friday 4th December 2020 addressed to: email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please visit www.aecfafrica.org
Apply to Job