ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ADVISOR
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Galmudug Federal Member State of Somalia has concluded leadership elections on February 2, 2020. The New Galmudug State leaders are mandated to administer and govern the state for the next four years and deliver the State priority policies on Inclusive politics, security & Justice, Economic development and Social Services. The President and Vice President are committed and have already embarked to lead the state to a new direction of development, stability, peaceful and prosperous state. The Vice President (VP) established a Galmudug priority delivery unit within the Presidency Office which will provide line ministries and the state house with the capacity, technical knowledge, and expertise to develop systems, human resources needed and to empower institutions for better public service delivery.
The Delivery Unit (DU) will closely work with Pillar Coordination system of the NDP9, Federal and State Ministries of Planning and other line Ministries to ensure coherence approach and complementarity of delivering GM priorities. The DU will have sector specialists in Inclusive Politics, Economic Development, Gender and Human Rights and Social Services (Disaster risk management /resilience and Health).Each sector will be led by a sector advisor, with an overall advisory team leader reporting to VP and the line ministries on day to day activities.
The Economic Development Advisor will mainly focus Inclusive economic development and Partners engagement coordination in Galmudug State.
Key Responsibilities and deliverables
Key Result 1 – Advisory support to Galmudug Government on economic planning and analysis:
· To advise and undertake the necessary activities for the preparation performance reports on various sectors of Galmudug state of Somalia’s economy.
· To support the preparation of Policy Papers on various Economic Sectors for the Development Plan (DP) and precisely Develop strategic economic goals for Galmudug State priorities and delivery mechanism
· To support the preparation of Operational Plans for various Economic Sectors in reference to Economic Growth Pillar activity plans and results achievement indicators.
· To provide technical assistance in the field of economic planning and in the formulation of sector strategies.
· To assist in carrying out the relevant technical work to follow up the implementation of the development plan.
· To advise Galmudug administration on improvements of Aid coordination, database and information system relating to econometric and statistical modeling of economic, social progress and sustainable reconciliation.
· To advise on and undertake the necessary activities for the preparation of the periodic economic reports.
· Coordinate Federal Pillar working group and State Pillar Working Groups
· Contact person for International relations /engagement to Galmudug State
· Coordinate international development support to economic development in Galmudug
· Advise Ministry planning and sector line ministries on immediate and urgent priorities related to economic development
· Write weekly Pillar meeting notes, monthly reports and periodic assessments, evaluation and advisory papers.
· Support the office of the Ministry of Planning in the development of the office strategic framework and work plans for program implementation to ensure the achievement of government goals.
· Provide training, capacity building, and guidance to line ministries especially ministry of planning and Ministry finance.
· Document implementation successes, challenges, and lessons learned, and share them through regular pillar reports.
· Represent the government of Galmudug to other NGOs and UN agencies, ensuring coordination and constructive working relations, and attending relevant inter-agency coordination meetings.
· Develop and oversee the implementation of policy influencing (advocacy) activities for the sector at relevant local, state and federal levels, in consultation with the Office of the Vice President and line Ministries concern
· Actively lobby for more attention for Economic growth in Galmudug, working with Government of Galmudug, Federal Government of Somalia, UN and NGO partners.
· Other duties as assigned by the vice president and line ministries.
Key Result 2 – Support enhanced indicator and monitoring systems:
· To provide technical assistance in the formulation of Key Performance Indicators for the various sectors of the economy.
· To respond to specific requests for reviewing development programs, projects and policies, and their economic and social implications, as well as to advise on institutional arrangements for their implementation.
Key Result 3 – Support to capacity development for Government:
- To provide on the job training on economic development to the national staff engaged in the planning process.
- To assist in organizing training for the Ministry Staffs.
· To undertake such other tasks as requested by Galmudug Government
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the Government values and ethical standards.
· Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the Government Ministry.
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
· Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
· Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
· Promotes a learning and knowledge sharing environment.
· Facilitates the development of individual and multi-cultural/team competencies.
· Managing for Results:
· Plans and prioritizes work activities to meet Government goals.
· Strategic approach to problem solving.
· Partnering & Networking:
· Builds and sustains relationships with key constituents (internal/external/ bilateral/ multilateral/public/private; civil society).
· Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of the project.
· Demonstrates ability to handle working relationships with senior officials, academics and technical experts.
· Conceptualizes and analyzes problems to identify key issues, underlying problems, and how they relate.
· Generates creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations.
· Devises new systems and processes, and modifies existing ones, to support innovative behaviors.
· Demonstrates outstanding communication skills, verbal and written, in English, abilities in Somali is a strong asset.
Job Knowledge & Expertise:
· Possesses expert knowledge and advanced concepts in economic development, policy analysis and formulation.
· Applies the required depth and breadth of knowledge and expertise in economic policy and development issues to support UNDP and the Government.
· Demonstrates strong quantitative skills and the ability to carry out high quality research, including statistical analysis.
· Possesses proven ability to analyze from a global perspective, with the ability to offer practical policy advice on economic issues based on local realities.
· Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource.
· Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of economic theory and practice and seeks to develop him/herself professionally.
Qualifications and Experience.
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree in economics, development, public administration, or a relevant field.
· Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in economic development initiatives with international development program.
· Strong experience with coalition building and collaboration with multiple stakeholders, including private sector, civil society and government.
Preferred Abilities and knowledge.
· Strong knowledge and understanding of the economic, political and social context of Galmudug State and/or Somalia
· Experience with providing technical assistance, including organizing and conducting workshop and trainings
· Good communication and interpersonal skills, team-oriented work style, interest and experience of working in multicultural environment.
· Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, multi-task and meet deadlines.
· Demonstrated skills and sensitivity in engaging with minority groups and government stakeholders and understanding of power analysis in stakeholder engagement.
· Fluency in English both written and oral (Advanced level)
· Fluency in Somali is an asset (Native or advanced Level)
· The Economic Advisor will direct report to the DG Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation in Galmudug State of Somalia.
How to apply:
Only those interested candidates who meet the profile stated should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV to below link:
Apply to Job