NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
At Last Mile Health, we make bold commitments that inspire innovation. Are you a passionate advocate that has a record of driving global, national, and institutional policy change? If so, you may be our next Director, Advocacy.
LMH is actively growing its advocacy portfolio to inform broader global health priorities and strategies to be inclusive of community health workforce programming. The Director, Advocacy for the Health Systems team will lead the execution of Last Mile Health’s (LMH) Global Policy & Advocacy strategy.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Health Systems, this position will play a key role in shaping the expanding reach and direction of our global policy and advocacy work, work with our country programs to connect global, regional, and national advocacy efforts,, and lead a team in implementing our advocacy strategy. This role will serve as a key advisor on emerging policy and accompanying positions across the organization.
This position is open to candidates located in Malawi, Liberia, Uganda, Ethiopia, and on the Eastern seaboard of the United States (preference to New York City and Boston). Candidates must have the ability to work in one of the countries listed above. Please note that our US offices are currently closed due to COVID 19 and all US based staff are working remotely.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the execution of LMH’s global advocacy strategy and agenda
- Support the country office national advocacy agendas by providing technical advice and connecting to global advocacy trends and opportunities
- Manage two Advocacy team members
- Develop, implement and monitor LMH’s advocacy activities and budgets, mentor and coach advocacy team members, and ensure coherence across country-based and global advocacy activities
- Manage high-profile engagements on community health policy at the global level, including influencing global agendas to raise awareness about the importance of effective community health programs within the Primary Healthcare/Universal Healthcare framework
- Build relationships with key partners and stakeholders within the civil society, NGO community, parliament, policymakers, as well as with local and international institutions
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the global health space including the major institutions, actors, and trends
- Build LMH assets to support influence strategy (e.g., develop network of champions, policy briefs, talking points, coalitions, evidence).
- Develop and disseminate communications and outreach materials such as briefs, policy documents, newsletters, infographics, websites, and social media bulletins in collaboration with LMH’s communication’s team
- Collaborate across LMH departments to cultivate partner relationships and input into funding proposals for advocacy
- With other key staff members, represent the organization externally at meetings and events organized and/or attended by key advocacy stakeholders
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, international relations, gender studies, political science, human rights, or a related field
- Significant and meaningful advocacy and/or public affairs experience aimed at influencing policy change
- Demonstrated success in leading advocacy tactics – e.g., coalition building, stakeholder mapping, matching the tactic with targets of influence
- Several years of management experience, preferably for an integrated team of national and international staff members to foster an inclusive, equitable, and effective advocacy team at LMH
- Intimate knowledge of policy, international health and development issues at the global level
- Experience in managing high-level advocacy campaigns and coalitions of organizations across various geographies at national and global level
- Experience working with stakeholders at multiple levels- global partners, technical managers and national governments
- Working knowledge of community health and community health programs
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interface with diverse stakeholder in a range of multi-disciplinary settings
You’ll Impress Us If
- Experience working with global senior level officials and/or national governments
- Experience in policy influencing in Sub Saharan Africa
As LMH strives to increase transparency into our compensation principles we are highlighting below more details around our compensation policy and benefits associated with this position. In line with our compensation principles, this position will pay at the 50th to 60th percentile of the market to which you are employed. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Principles guiding our compensation policy:
- Data Driven: We benchmark salaries against large datasets containing compensation data from organizations with whom we compete for talent. We benchmark salaries for specific roles and specific candidate experience.
- Competitive: Candidates should be paid the most competitive salaries possible for their position given budgetary constraints. We aim to pay above market, typically between the 50th-60th percentile of the market.
- Transparent: Compensation policies should be transparent and easily understood. We want all candidates to understand how we set salaries and to know we aim to pay competitively.
- Equitable: Compensation should be implemented consistently across candidates of different identities, teams and geographies, while keeping into account the different talent markets and economies we operate in.
- Responsible: LMH needs to operate in a sustainable way and practice good stewardship of our resources.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How to apply:
Please submit your application here.
Apply to Job