Data Manager - Chad Guinea Worm Eradication Program (CGWEP)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The incumbent will provide technical support to CHAD GWEP related to data collection, editing, processing, reporting, and analysis with the aim of helping to better elucidate key determinants of transmission of Guinea worm disease (GWD), including key risk factors in Chad. The purpose of this position is to increase internal analytical capacity of the CHAD GWEP, ensure the integrity of the data and of analyses, and of reports on the status of the program which are shared with partner organizations and with government. The Data Manager will also work towards increasing the capacity of the program’s Data Management Team, including the Assistant Data Manager.
Human Resource Management & Supervision
- Supervise and monitor the CHAD GWEP data management systems by providing direct, day-to-day monitoring, management, and oversight of the same.
- Serve as direct supervisor for all CHAD GWEP data management staff.
- Directly supervise the CHAD GWEP Data Team to ensure fulfilment of their terms of reference, ensuring that all monthly field reports are received, reviewed and any necessary data extracted using appropriate computer software (e.g. Microsoft Excel)..
- Directly supervise the Assistant Data Manager to ensure the following:
a. The accurate analysis of monthly case data
b. Monthly updates of GPS data for case villages and other essential geographic landmarks such as case containment centers (CCCs), sub offices, and sub stores operated by the Chad GWEP.
- Work with Assistant Data manager to ensure the following:
a. All monthly data related to new and follow-up cases, suspect patients, ABATE® Larvicide, water catalogues are compiled, and codified.
b. Ensure there is careful recording and tracking of all villages under active surveillance that have been added, removed, and moved to passive surveillance.
c. Maintain an updated forecast list.
d. Oversee the tracking of worm specimens
e. Maintain and compile case and clinical photographs and presentations of patients with emergent worms for all current year cases.
f. Track, store, and organize the previous year’s village surveillance booklets and official data.
Data Management and Oversight, CHAD GWEP
- Obtain, compile, and prepare a report of the number of new cases to the Director-Chad GWEP, and Atlanta HQ with requested information.
- Develop village level maps of new cases based on infection source.
- Generate comprehensive monthly reports based on data compiled in the previous month for the Director-CHAD GWEP, the Chad government, water partners and the Chad GWEP team based on relevant information.
Along with the Assistant Data Manager, conduct monthly spot checks, prior to conducting the monthly analysis, of all paper reports to ensure entered data correctly reflects paper reports. Spot checks will include but are not limited to the following:
a. In the patient database, check 100% of the month’s cases to ensure consistency between containment criteria dates and fields indicating the meeting of said dates to containment criteria.
b. Confirm village line listing data to ensure consistency between line listings and monthly summary forms in terms of case importation and containment status.
c. Ensure consistency of all analyses in terms of number of new cases, cases contained, imported cases, EVs, and VAS.
d. Conduct a hand count of all monthly summary forms and village line listings to ensure the accuracy in the number of new cases, and cases contained, reported in the monthly provisional analysis.
e. Confirm that all hard copy files are arranged properly, and all field inputs and requests are filed appropriately.
Maintain an accurate, up-to-date electronic list of all CHAD GWEP VAS removed from the active surveillance baseline and reason they were removed.
Maintain and share (on a bi-annual basis) with the Director – CHAD GWEP an updated list (including all baseline data) of all villages transitioned to passive surveillance since 2008. The list must be included in the CHAD GWEP annual report.
Evaluate current analysis. Determine if it is appropriate and make recommendations for adjustments.
Determine what additional data analysis is needed to fully understand transmission dynamics.
Update the CHAD GWEP Parameters.
Attend the monthly Task Force Meetings and prepare all data needed for the meetings.
General Data Support
- Plan quarterly Data Team visits to sub-offices to ensure data issues are resolved quickly and field reporting meets program regulations.
- Assist the Director – CHAD GWEP with preparing presentations as requested.
- Assist in writing and editing the Annual report.
- Assist the TCC GWEP Director in Atlanta with other analyses as requested.
- Track and liaise with relevant sub-offices to resolve all outstanding data discrepancies. For any data issues requiring changes to already-entered data, approval must be sought by the Epidemiologist prior to any changes being made.
- Spend two weeks out of every month visiting sub-offices and hubs to:
a. Review data collection and screening procedures in the field.
b. Improve training of Technical Advisors and Program Officers on data collection.
c. With the Assistant Data Manager, Secretariat, Technical Advisors, and Program Officers, work to improve training of field officers on data collection techniques.
d. Determine what is needed to develop improved case investigations to pinpoint where transmission is occurring, including support during field visits and training.
e. Based on analysis and field visits, make recommendations as to additional areas of epidemiological investigation and analysis; conduct as needed.
f. Participate in investigations of outbreaks at the field level to determine the origin of transmission.
g. Work with Technical Advisors and Program Officers to improve their epidemiologic investigation skills.
h. Help the Technical Advisors and Program Officers to conduct analysis on locations of origin of imported cases and known locations of indigenous transmission to determine where transmission is occurring.
i. Assist with the tracking/cataloguing of old VSBs and other supporting documents for review by the International Commission for the Certification of Dracunculiasis Eradication (ICCDE).
- Liaise directly with TCC – Atlanta to address all requests for data analyses.
- Make all necessary data changes to existing programmatic data while ensuring the appropriate Director approves ALL data changes prior to changes being made.
- Make regular, actionable recommendations to the CR and Director for improvements to CHAD GWEP systems and tools.
- Design and execute practical, hands-on training of field staff on established reporting procedures and guidelines as dictated by the Ministry of Health.
- Ensure all new Program Officers and Technical Advisors receive a thorough orientation regarding programmatic data procedures and guidelines.
- Assist the CR to formulate accurate annual program analyses as requested by the directors of the CHAD GWEP and TCP for use in review meetings.
- Work cooperatively and harmoniously with government officials and TCC colleagues to strengthen TCC-supported programs in every way possible.
- Ensure a safe, respectful, efficient, and effective Data Teamwork environment, while building a sense of team, by giving all staff the opportunity to grow professionally.
- Work daily with awareness that the Carter Center works solely in support of the Chad Guinea Worm Eradication Program and the Trachoma Control Program of the Ministry of Health, Republic of Chad
- Represent The Carter Center with pride, integrity, professionalism, humility, respect for persons, and sensitivity to local culture and traditions. Be constantly aware that you represent an organization founded by a former President of the United States who believes in working aggressively and harmoniously to assist and strengthen health service delivery.
- Perform other duties as required and/or assigned by the CR/Director of the CHAD GWEP.
How to apply:
Please send CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Subject line must include: Application Data Manager, Chad Position. All documents must be in Microsoft word or PDF format. In the body of the e-mail, please indicate where you saw the job posting.
Only candidates qualifying for the initial short list will be contacted.
Apply to Job