Consultancy to customise Morbidity Management and Disability Prevention indicators into the DHIS2 of the Ministry of Health - Uganda
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The consultancy is to establish an online M&E Platform by customising MMDP indicators on the MOH DHIS2 software to align it to HMIS processes and procedures and additionally build the capacity of relevant staff to enable them to maintain the DHIS2 M&E platform.
2. INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
DHIS2 is critical for health system strengthening since it can generate timely information for proper planning, monitoring and evaluation of service delivery at all levels of the health system.
HMIS systems have the ability to collect more accurate and efficient data capture needed to inform planning and decision-making. The customisation process takes a period of two months and involves the definition of data elements, data sets, dashboards, and designing of data entry forms, designing validation rules, among others.
Reporting through DHIS2 improves utilisation of health reports generated at the facility, district and national level through analysing of data to inform planning, resource mobilisation, decision-making, monitoring and evaluation of health service delivery. Currently, there are ongoing efforts to include NTD data elements in DHIS2/HMIS which have registered varied success where the following data elements are already integrated within the system.
Some NTD cases diagnosed at facilities such as Leishmaniasis, Lymphatic Filariasis (hydrocele), Lymphatic Filariasis (Lymphoedema), Urinary Schistosomiasis, Intestinal Schistosomiasis, Onchocerciasis, Trachoma are integrated into DHIS2 and reporting using health unit monthly outpatient report (HMIS 105) Some NTD surveillance cases are reported in DHIS2 using HMIS FORM 033b (health unit weekly epidemiological surveillance report weekly) once those cases are diagnosed at the health facility. These cases are reported through mTrac using a prepaid SMS through 6767. NTD surveillance cases reported through this report weekly include Onchocerciasis, Lymphatic Filariasis, Trachoma, Schistosomiasis, and Kala-azar, Nodding Syndrome which are under subsection “selected other priority diseases under IDSR (integrated disease surveillance and responses)
NTD Schistosomiasis MDA was also customised in DHIS2 through HMIS FORM 098d: NTDS MDA Implementation Report.
VL indicators have also been integrated through HMIS form 128b: visceral leishmaniasis outpatient monthly report to DHIS2.
Despite all the efforts put therein to have all NTD data elements in the DHIS2, MMDP data elements have not been included.
3. SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The Service Provider will be embedded in the Vector-Borne Diseases, and Neglected Tropical Disease Division (VBD/NTDs) of Ministry of Health - Uganda and will support the Division to customise the MMDP indicators into DHIS2 in the form of an addendum/ Dataset report.
The customisation process will take an estimated period of one (1) month and will involve defining data elements, data sets, dashboards, and designing of data entry forms. The VBD/NTDs team will generate validation rules to ensure accurate entry of records into the system.
After inclusion of these data elements on DHIS2, MOH will roll it out to districts with support from ASCEND. Data managers at all the health facilities will be trained using the revised paper-based HMIS. In contrast, District Health Officers, District Biostatisticians and HMIS focal persons at districts or health subdistricts, will be trained on the electronic HMIS (DHIS2), together with staff from surveillance office.
Specific objectives of the consultancy
To strengthen health information system to provide quality MMDP information to support decision-making at all levels of the Health Care System in Uganda.
Provide quality information to support decision-making for planning, epidemic/endemic prediction, and resource allocation.
Assist in assessing NTD performance at all levels of the Health Sector performance.
To Monitoring NTD Work plan performance.
To encourage the use of NTD health information for policy formulation.
4. RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The identified Service Provider will populate/program a database for NTD morbidity management data including trachoma TT surgery, LF MMDP, schistosomiasis haematemesis (vomiting of blood) and female genital schistosomiasis data elements that can perform reports, charts, dashboard, GIS, data entry forms. Use real data, ideally nation-wide, but not necessarily facility-level data. The database hosted in DHIS2 will have:
- The organisational hierarchy: it defines the organisation using the DHIS2, the health facilities, administrative areas and other geographical areas used in data collection and data analysis.
- Data Elements: the Data Element is perhaps the most important building block of a DHIS2 database. It represents the “what“ dimension on the 3Ws of (what, when and where); it explains what is being collected or analysed.
- Data sets and data entry forms: a data set is a collection of data elements grouped for data collection, and in the case of distributed installs they also define chunks of data for export and import between instances of DHIS2 (e.g. from a district office local installation to a national server)
- Validation rules: once you have set up the data entry part of the system and started to collect data then there is time to define data quality checks that help to improve the quality of the data being collected. You can add as many validation rules as you like and these are composed of left and right-side expressions that again are composed of data elements, with an operator between the two sides.
- Report tables and reports: standard reports in DHIS2 is a very flexible way of presenting the data that has been collected. Data can be aggregated by any organisational unit or organisation unit level, by data element, by indicators, as well as overtime.
- Charts and dashboard: one of the easiest ways to display your indicator data is through charts. An easy to use chart dialogue will guide you through the creation of various types of charts with data on indicators, organisational units and periods of your choice
- GIS (Maps): In the integrated GIS module you can easily display your data on maps, both on polygons (areas) and as points (health facilities), and either as data elements or indicators.
Interested service providers – individual consultants or firms – are expected to submit the proposal (max 15 pages) outlining experience customising and deploying the DHIS2 platform, proposed outline/work plan for the consultancy period including timeline against individual deliverables, budget, portfolio of the individual/organisation and list of references.
6. QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems Management, Computer Science, Computer Programming or any other related fields, with at least 5 years’ experience in DHIS2 mainframe and its related systems. Master’s Degree in a related field is an advantage.
- Experience in Performing systems analysis, design, development and maintenance on DHIS2.
- Experience in the transition from the current DHIS 2 version to newer versions.
- Programming experience in Java, C#, Python, PHP, Android.
- Programming experience in data-driven applications, preferably in the Health Sector.
- Experience in systems integration, programming using API’s, XML.
- Experience in administration of enterprise databases: Postgres, Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server.
- Experience in DHIS 2 installation, setup and maintenance, DHIS 2 APIs.
- Experience in Jasper Reports, Crystal Reports or any other reports management tools.
- Experience in working with and/or training of Health Information Systems or Health projects supported by databases such as DHIS 2.
- Experience in systems documentation.
This consultancy will be for an estimated period of 3 months from inception through development, pre-testing and dissemination.
· Populate/program a database within DHIS2 hosted at MOH that monitors and evaluates MMDP indicators.
· Program a database on DHIS2 that can run reports by organisation unit, capture data by age and sex, run charts, tables and maps.
How to apply:
Send a covering letter and a copy of your CV to “email@example.com” by 16th November 2020
NOTE: This is a nationals only position
Apply to Job