Communications Manager -Re-advertisement
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The AECF (Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund) is a nonprofit institution supporting early and growth stage businesses to innovate, create jobs, leverage investments and markets in an effort to create resilience and sustainable incomes for rural poor and marginalized communities in Africa.
AECF’s strategy is focused on agribusiness/agriculture and renewable energy sectors with increased support to climate technologies, deepened focus on gender, youth, and employment, aimed at attaining the institution’s vision of ‘A Prosperous and Enterprising Rural Africa’.
Since 2008, AECF has invested in 292 businesses across sub-Sahara Africa focusing on Agribusiness, Renewable Energy and Climate Technologies. As at 2019, we have impacted more than 27.7 million lives and created over 26,000 jobs and leveraged over US$ 750 million in matching funds from the private sector.
AECF has implemented programs across Africa delivering tangible impact for communities most in need. We want to tell the AECF story and are looking for an experienced Communications Manager to support and amplify AECF’s program work.
AECF is headquartered in Kenya with offices in Cote d’ Ivoire and Tanzania.
AECF is seeking to recruit a dynamic, proactive, passionate and results-oriented Communications Manager, who will have the overall responsibility for positioning AECF as an impactful and leading organisation in the surfacing of and investing in early and growth stage businesses. The incumbent will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of AECF’s communication strategy and strengthening of its internal and external communications platforms in support of the institution’s overall strategy.
Reporting to the Director, Strategy & Partnerships, the Communications Manager will serve on AECF’s management committee and work closely with the CEO and senior leadership on AECF’s brand and market positioning. The person will manage a team of two (2) full-time staff; a Communications Officer and Assistant. The role will be based in Nairobi with frequent travel in the region.
• Leading the Communications function with a focus on enhancing dissemination of AECF’s value adding outputs, raising the visibility of its impact and driving the organisation’s branding initiatives.
• Guiding the development of AECF’s communications plan in accordance with overall organizational strategy.
• Working with Impact Evaluation and Learning Unit to oversee development and tracking of metrics and success criteria for communications programs with the key objective being amplification of AECF’s program work.
• Providing support to the Impact Evaluation and Learning Unit in packaging and presentation of reports and success stories.
• Overseeing development of all communications materials, including press releases, talking points, reports, speeches, web materials, and videos. Ensuring all communications materials are in line with the institution’s messaging, strategy and policy positions.
• Leading the communications team to effectively implement the Unit’s strategies and activities by; establishing unit priorities, monitoring the unit budget and managing external consultants.
• Spearheading activities that build the brand by ensuring consistent use of messages across the organization and anticipating possible controversies with a proactive approach to issues management.
• Providing strategic communications and advisory support to the Board and management team.
• Managing media relations with the global, regional and national news media.
• Supporting the CEO and senior staff in the planning of media briefs, interviews, offsite visits and special events.
• Ensuring AECF events meet global standards, are well documented and receive broad coverage in target media.
• Overseeing the design and maintenance of the website, including content and aesthetics redesign reflective of the organisation’s strategy.
• Developing and reviewing of internal communication protocols, program communications and staff media protocols to ensure transparency and a strong aligned institution.
• Maintaining relationships with journalists and creating partnerships with top media associations, media outlets and bloggers at national and regional level.
• Overseeing production of corporate publications and marketing tools including the corporate brochure, annual report, newsletters etc.
• Overseeing social media platforms and taking overall responsibility for content sharing.
• Advising on requirements for market research and overseeing implementation of commissioned surveys.
• Acting as the spokesperson for the organization, as needed.
Required qualifications and experience:
• Master’s degree in Communications, Business, International Relations, information management, media and, Journalism, Development Studies, or related field;
• Knowledge and experience in training and report preparation;
• Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in reporting and communication;
• At least three (3) years’ senior-level management experience in advocacy or public relations with exposure to development sector
• Experience in aligning social media into strategic communication planning
• Experience creating web content
• Exceptional writing and editing skills
• Significant experience in development-related activities in Africa
• A working knowledge of French will be an added advantage
• Good interpersonal, analytical and communications skills
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to apply:
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Communications Manager (Re-advertisement) – AECF/NOV/CM/2020” and attach a detailed CV with correct e-mail address and telephone contacts. To be considered, your application must be received by Friday 4th December 2020 addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Previous applicants need not re-apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please visit www.aecfafrica.org
Apply to Job