NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP),
UNHCR Copenhagen, Denmark
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a Communications internship within the Private Sector Partnerships (PSP) Denmark Team in our Copenhagen Headquarters.
This exciting internship is a unique opportunity to gain first-hand experience with how to drive external communication, advocacy, public engagement and fundraising within the world’s leading refugee organization.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. UNHCR teams operate in the field in more than 130 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Vacancy no.: CPH/VN/2020/044
Title: Communications Intern
Duty Station: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contract Type: Internship, full-time
Duration: 6 months (1 February 2021 - 31 July 2021)
Application closing date: 7 December 2020
UNHCR has relocated several key functions from our Headquarters in Geneva to UN City in Copenhagen, including UNHCR’s Private Sector Partnership Service (PSP) supporting UNHCR’s fast growing public engagement, fundraising and collaboration with the private sector in all corners of the world. This is a high priority area and as the world is facing a historic refugee crisis the support and engagement of the general public and the private sector is more critical than ever before.
The intern will get a unique chance to work in an international environment in the UN City, which hosts 11 UN organizations with 1,500 staff members representing more than 100 nationalities.
We are seeking a skilled and engaged communications intern who will assist with UNHCR’s external engagement, communication, advocacy and fundraising in Denmark in support of the world’s refugees.
The intern will learn first-hand about UNHCR’s global work and how to connect with broad public audiences and drive campaigns and advocacy. This is an excellent opportunity to work with dedicated colleagues from our expert teams in Copenhagen, as well as around the world.
Duties and responsibilities
• Assist in managing our activities on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn, including planning, researching, content production, translation and community management tasks;
• Assist in managing our website, including content production and translation tasks;
• Assist in developing and implementing public engagement campaigns, including the celebration of UNHCRs 70th anniversary;
• Assist our official Spokesperson for Denmark in preparing pitches and content for the media and mapping media contacts;
• Assist with digital fundraising efforts;
• Assist with drafting of newsletters and other forms of external communication;
• Perform any other tasks, including various administrative tasks as required.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will be required to have the following skills, education:
• Be a recent graduate (completed studies within one year of applying to this internship) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO within the areas of Communication, Journalism or similar;
• You have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies within one of the above fields;
• Be fluent in English and Danish, with advanced writing and editing skills;
• Talent for story spotting and crafting effective messaging
• Excellent analytical and communication skills;
• Planning and organizing competencies with ability to multitask and prioritize workload;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office.
Additional desirable competencies:
• Experience with social media and website management;
• Experience with media relations and drafting press releases or similar
• Knowledge about international humanitarian work and strong interest in the refugee cause;
• Experience with working in an international environment;
• Relevant work experience desirable.
The selected intern will be based with the PSP Denmark team in the UN City in Copenhagen and will work under the supervision of the Head of Unit for PSP Denmark.
Obtaining and renewing current visas and residence permits including all associated costs, are the responsibility of the intern.
The internship offer is for 6 months, from 1 February 2021 until 31 July 2021. It is a full-time role from Monday to Friday (40 hours per week). The terms of the internship as defined by UNHCR practice include the payment of a Food and Local Transportation Allowance.
Please note that external financial support from an outside party, including university and government grants, affect the entitlement to the full amount of the allowance granted by UNHCR.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation, Personal History Form (P11) and CV to DENCOCMUHR@UNHCR.ORG indicating Communications Internship, PSP Denmark CPH/VN/2020/044 in the subject of the email. Personal History Forms are available at PHF Form / Supplementary Sheet.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Apply to Job