Business Development and Programme Manager
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Business Development and Programme Manager **
Job purpose summary: To play a key role in business development and programme management, strengthening Mokoro’s networks and partnerships and contributing to the company’s growth and development more broadly.
Salary: £36-42,000 per annum (dependent upon qualifications and experience)
Location: Oxford, UK1
Contract: 2 years fixed term (with potential for extension subject to organisational needs)
Reporting to this post: Programme Coordinator, Projects Coordinator (who each act as assignment managers), Business Development Support (P/T)
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Working internally with: Research staff, Finance Manager, Principal Consultants, Associates and Company members.
Working externally with: A broad range of clients, funders, partners and consultants
A. About Mokoro and this role
Established in 1982, Mokoro is a UK-based research and consultancy company providing technical expertise in economic and social development globally. We have undertaken more than 750 consultancy assignments in 80 countries worldwide, for national governments, multilateral and bilateral aid agencies, and NGOs. Mokoro’s core areas of expertise are: Aid Effectiveness; Public Policy and Management; Land, Livelihoods and Natural Resources; Reviews and Evaluations. The company draws its consulting capacity from its Principal Consultants, the technical staff team, and its wider network of associates. Further information on Mokoro’s background and current consultancy portfolio is at www.mokoro.co.uk. As a not-for-profit company, our values and commitment to high quality work are the primary drivers for what we do, and how we do it. We are looking for a strong team player with relevant experience, background in, and understanding of the international development sector (preferably also consultancy) and the role of niche/ specialist organisations in making a contribution to international development.
B. Job description
The Business Development and Programme Manager works as part of the team focussed on business development and programme management, also in close consultation with Mokoro’s Chief Executive, Finance Manager, Principal Consultants (PCs), and collaboratively with other Mokoro colleagues (research, associate consultants etc.). The role is to: lead on proactive development of the portfolio of consultancy and research in line with Mokoro’s interests and ethos; lead on proposal development and bid writing; provide support to the management of assignments; establish/maintain processes and systems which ensure efficient and effective programme management (for new opportunities and ongoing assignments).
The main dimensions of the position include:
· Drive the identification and pursuit of relevant new business opportunities, working closely and collaboratively with colleagues and partners in strengthening Mokoro’s consultancy and research portfolio in priority areas.**
· Take a key role in proposal preparation - leading on competitive tenders and bid preparation, directly drafting Mokoro submissions as well as coordinating the contribution of others, ensuring these meet the highest corporate standards.
· Play a proactive role in developing and strengthening Mokoro’s networks of consultants, clients and partners.
· Oversee and/or prepare assignment budgets, in conjunction with assignment managers, ensuring alignment with company practice and targets.
· Support and/ or lead on contract negotiations.
· Represent Mokoro at external events and meetings with partners and clients.
· Provide support and back-up to the team on matters related to budgeting, assignment management, contract management and the various associated relationships and communications – including clients, partners / other consultancy firms, and consultants.
· Ensure Mokoro’s programme of consultancy and research activities is implemented in line with relevant internal and external policies, frameworks, and good practice guidelines.
· Work with the Chief Executive and Finance Manager in financial forecasting, budget setting and monitoring of financial performance.
Change management and systems improvement
· Lead on organisational projects to improve efficiency and effectiveness in business development and programme management – systems, processes, monitoring, and analysis/ reporting etc.
People and team management
· Oversee and manage workload across the business development and assignment management team.
· Support, supervise and task/ line manage others working in business development, programme management and delivery, advising and working with others to resolve any issues arising.
· Jointly with other staff and PCs, maintain and strengthen Mokoro’s culture, values and reputation internally and with clients, funders, and partners.
· Prepare and provide written/ oral inputs to Council (Board) meetings.
· Deputise for the Chief Executive when required.
· Contribute to knowledge management and learning at Mokoro.
· Any other reasonable task as delegated by line manager/ commensurate with the level and responsibilities of this post.
C. Person specification
Knowledge, skills and experience (E=essential and D=desirable)
· Bachelor’s (E) or Master’s degree (D) in a relevant discipline (e.g. business administration, international development, social sciences, economics).
· Substantial relevant (senior) management experience in the international development/ consultancy sector or a comparable field (E).
· Commitment to Mokoro’s approach to collaborative working, strong supportive relationships and high quality consultancy work (E).
· Substantial relevant experience in bid writing and responding to competitive tenders (E).
· Commercial acumen and proven ability in client and/or partner relationship management (E) and an established network with relevant research and consultancy organisations and individuals (D).
· Proven track record in the design and management of organisational improvement initiatives (D).
· Experience in managing people/teams (E), including recruitment and performance management (D).
· Ability to work flexibly and proactively with autonomy, demonstrating sound judgement in decision-making (E).
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with a sound ability to work effectively and empathetically with a diverse and geographically dispersed team, and the ability to communicate effectively on complex matters. (E).
· High level of numeracy, previous responsibility for developing, managing and monitoring portfolio and project budgets (E).
· Strong IT competency in all standard MS packages (E) with advanced skills in Word and Excel (D).
· Experience of working in developing and / or transitional country context/s (D).
· Ability to work in other language(s) relevant to Mokoro’s work would be an asset: French / Spanish / Portuguese / Arabic (D).
D. General terms and conditions
Hours: This is a full-time position, based on a 37.5 hour week. Normal office hours are 9am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday.
Location: Flexible, with the expectation of being in the office in Oxford at least 50% per week (see footnote on Page 1).
Leave: Annual leave entitlement is 25 days (as well as all English public holidays), plus an additional 3 days to be taken at Christmas, Eid or a similar observance.
Salary: Salary is paid monthly in arrears by credit transfer. Mokoro operates a contributory pension scheme.
Probation period: There will be a six month probation for this post, with a review carried out after three months, and again at the end of the probation period.
Notice: One month’s notice during the probation period; three months’ notice upon satisfactory completion of probation and confirmation into post.
Please note that applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK.
Mokoro reserves the right not to make an appointment.
 During the current COVID-19 context, the staff team are all working from home. Flexible part-office, part-home working arrangements are being considered for the long-term, with an expectation of at least 50% in the office. We are undertaking a review of “Ways of Working” at the moment.
How to apply:
Please visit https://mokoro.co.uk/news-item/recruitment-business-development-and-programme-manager/ to download the Job Description in PDF format, which contains the relevant email address.
Please submit your CV and a covering letter of no more than two pages outlining why you are a suitable fit for this role at Mokoro, including examples of how your skills and experience meet the person specification outlined above. If you have any comments on preferred working arrangements, please include those as well. Your cover letter should also confirm that you would be available to attend interviews (online) on Wednesday 2 or Thursday 3 December 2020, and state what your available start date would be. A start in January 2021 would be preferred.
Applications should be emailed indicating ‘Business Development and Programme Manager’ in the subject field, by 12.00 noon on Monday 23 November 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by Friday 27 November 2020.
Apply to Job