Amharic Speaking Research Assistant (1 Position)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Position Type: Consultancy contract
Duration: Approximately 4 months with possible renewals
Application deadline: 1st December 2020, 5.00 pm, East Africa Time (EAT)
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia | Nairobi, Kenya | (remote working)
Languages: Amharic and English
Daily Rate: USD 40 - USD 60 per day, 5 days a week, (7.5 hours per day)
Start Date: Immediately
AVF is a fast-growing organisation, capitalizing on interactive media and digital communications to curate and spark engaging discussions that convene citizens’ voices as evidence and elevate them to the level of decision-making. We equip development, humanitarian and governance organisations with unique capabilities to listen intelligently to the citizens they serve. Spun out of cutting-edge research at the University of Cambridge in 2015, we have an established presence in East Africa and beyond with a vibrant growing core team in Nairobi. Our clients include UNDP, UNICEF, the European Union, ICRAF, Somalia Stability Fund, and the MasterCard Foundation.
- Perform literature reviews to inform project design
- Coding, tagging and analysing local-language data
- Qualitative analysis of local-language data
- Support overall programme and research design
- Drafting reports as required.
- Assist with other tasks as and when necessary, including survey and questionnaire design and translation
- Diploma or Undergraduate degree in a relevant social science discipline (such as sociology, political science, international development, public health, social psychology)
- One year professional experience working as part of the design and implementation of research and analysis/monitoring and evaluation projects
- Experience in qualitative research methods such as content analysis, thematic analysis and grounded theory.
- Excellent Amharic and English language skills, with understanding of other languages within Ethiopia highly desirable
- The ability to transfer style, tone and cultural elements accurately from Amharic to English and English to Amharic.
- Extremely high attention to detail
- Ability to learn quickly and actively, seeking to continuously improve skills and knowledge
- Proven ability to perform tasks for tight deadlines and under pressure
- Knowledge/experience of working in social/behaviour change campaigning or public opinion research or humanitarian programming
- Knowledge and experience of quantitative research methods
- Experience designing and conducting field research, especially focus group discussions and semi-structured interviews
- Experience in English-Amharic translation for development programmes
- Experience in survey/questionnaire design
How to apply:
To apply, please send your CV and a supporting cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, by 5pm, East Africa Time (EAT) on 1st December 2020.
Apply to Job