NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Location: Portland, OR, USA
*The starting salary range for this role is $19-21/hr, depending on level of experience.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The Program / Department / Team
The Travel Department oversees the coordination of Mercy Corps travel in partnership with external travel vendors. With the goal of streamlining travel planning and booking processes while maintaining compliance requirements of Mercy Corps and donor policies related to travel.
The Travel Coordinator will play an important role in providing support to Mercy Corps travelers. This position is responsible for overseeing day to day travel operations, including service levels with travel vendors, customer service, team member education, as well as process/policy adherence.
TRAVEL COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION
● Act as point of contact for any travel related questions or issues from team members.
● Monitor travel inbox and provide timely responses to traveler inquiries.
● Troubleshoot problems that travelers and their arrangers may encounter in regards to travel and the travel system.
● Assist with the coordination of travel for travelers experiencing difficulties with the travel booking system.
● Act as point of contact for day to day issues that arise with Travel Management Company (TMC) and work with TMC to resolve issues.
● Assist with content creation and maintenance for the TravelHub site and related training materials.
● Coordinate with Airline and Hotel vendors as needed to support travelers and resolve issues.
COMPLIANCE AND TRAINING
● Understand donor and Mercy Corps policies (including Fly America Act), procedures, rules and regulations to monitor and ensure compliance.
● Educate Mercy Corps employees on the travel system, policies and procedures.
● Assist Travel Manager in leading webinars and live training for system updates and releases.
DATA AND REPORTING
● Assist with the creation and maintenance of reporting to internal stakeholders within Mercy Corps.
● Support the travel reconciliation process in partnership with Corporate and International Finance teams.
● Monitor data flow between vendors to ensure systems are working as designed (e.g. between TMC and ISOS TravelTracker)
● Back up for Travel Manager
● Back up for Databasics Timekeeping Administrator Role
● Back up for other travel related finance responsibilities
● Other duties as assigned
Reports Directly To: Travel Manager
Works Directly With: Travelers, Finance, Procurement, Compliance, and travel vendors
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
● 2-3 years of advanced administrative experience with a customer service focus
● Knowledge of TMC setup including GDS experience preferred.
● Strong ability to communicate clearly and succinctly and intercultural communication experience preferred.
● Experience with management and coordination of international travel schedules and the ability to analyze complex travel scenarios with multiple variables to determine the most favorable, compliant options.
● Advanced organizational skills sufficient to independently establish priorities and carry out multiple assignments in a timely manner.
● Demonstrated ability to handle multiple, highly-detailed tasks and adapt to changing priorities.
● Extensive experience interacting diplomatically and professionally with internal and external customers.
● Detail-oriented with independent problem-solving skills.
● Advanced computer skills, including demonstrated proficiency with MS Office Suite and Google Drive.
● Demonstrated time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
● Past experience in a key support position delivering excellent and timely customer service.
The successful Travel Coordinator is self-directed, innovative, action-oriented and an avid learner. They are able to work independently, employ effective time management skills, thrive in fast-paced environments and handle frequent interruptions and shifting priorities without sacrificing composure or excellent customer service. This individual demonstrates flexibility, resilience and the ability to build effective relationships with a wide variety individuals including team members based overseas. They consistently maintain high ethical standards and treat all people with respect and dignity.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Portland, OR. Due to COVID-19, this role is anticipated to be in remote status until June 2021. The role will be open to remote applications outside of Portland with the understanding that the hire would relocate when the office reopens.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to apply:
Apply to Job