Nigeria Logistics Consultant (Short-Term)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Organization You Want to Work For
Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit organization that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development: developmentgateway.org
Our core focus areas are Resource Management (open contracting and procurement, aid management, and extractives); Effective Service Delivery (agriculture, health, data management systems, monitoring/evaluation/learning); and Data Strategy & Policy (including results data, data standards, and open data advocacy).
We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We value hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor.
This consultancy may be based anywhere the applicant is legally able to live and work. However, extensive prior experience working in Nigeria is required. The level of effort for the consultant is approximately 4-4.5 days of work from November 2020 through the end of January 2021. The daily rate for this position is $475 (based on an 8-hour workday).
The Elevator Pitch
The AidData Center for Development, in partnership with USAID/LAB/OI, has developed a model that can predict the likelihood of nonpermissive environments (NPEs) using satellite imagery in Nigeria. These NPEs are characterized by conflict, political instability, and/or cataclysmic natural events which limit the ability of USAID and its partners to operate. The model aims to predict the NPE risk at subnational and sub-annual scales using satellite imagery and machine learning techniques.
These methods offer real-world potential but are still quite new, requiring more testing and validation. As part of the final stage of the current project, we are exploring how we can improve the underlying model, as well as the products generated to display results. DG is working with local experts to validate the accuracy of these models, and surface insights and recommendations for how to improve this and future satellite imagery and machine learning models.
The Work You Get To Do
This consultancy involves providing guidance and recommendations on data inputs to the model and other expert advice on considerations related to security, subnational fragility, natural disasters, and other factors relevant to NPEs. The consultant will provide feedback on the correlation between the model outputs and on-the-ground indicators of NPEs. She or he will help to answer the questions:
- How well does this model reflect the reality of NPEs on the ground?
- Are there challenges or opportunities with the data used to calibrate the model?
- Are there additional factors to take into account when using satellite imagery and or machine learning techniques?
Consultants will be given a set of predetermined activities and clear instructions that will require the consultant to:
- Provide insight into the challenges and current reality of movement within the country
- Assess the quality and relevance of project datasets
- Cross-reference the accuracy of the model’s datasets with known logistics of in-country movement
- Source additional, non-traditional data inputs to the model
- Completed validation exercise and analysis
- Review and input to final validation report
- Additional datasets and supporting evidence, as applicable
Management and Reporting
- Consultants will work closely with the Project Manager to clarify and provide evidence for their analysis as needed.
- Calls will be held weekly with the Project Manager to report on progress, discuss implementation challenges, and make course corrections as needed.
- All deliverables produced will remain property of DG and cannot be shared with a third party without DG’s permission.
The Education and Experience You Have and We Need
The ideal applicant will have recent experience and knowledge of logistical considerations in movement throughout Nigeria in the context of supply chain management, humanitarian response, infrastructure expertise, duty of care, medical services, trade, or other industries.
We are particularly interested in candidates with experience in data and data analysis as it relates to logistics and supply chains, conflict, and/or humanitarian and development activities.
A background in data science, or knowledge of machine learning techniques or AI is a plus.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please mention “Nigeria Logistics Consultant” in the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and lived experience at our company. We strongly encourage applications from people whose identities are underrepresented in the sectors where DG works. DG does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply to Job