NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
HIAS seeks a Greek lawyer to support its mission to provide legal support to refugees and other forced migrants in Greece. The lawyer provides aid to refugees and other forced migrants through the provision of individual asylum counseling and casework, individual representation before the Greek authorities and courts, group asylum information presentations, assistance with family reunification, and other protection-related advocacy.
Selected lawyer will hold the position through November 2021, with the possibility of extension up to a year. This position is contingent on funding.*
- Represents clients by attending registration, family reunification and asylum interviews.
- Drafts and submits asylum, family reunification and appeal submissions and other case materials.
- Compiles biographical data, persecution stories, and evidence to produce comprehensive asylum case submissions.
- Conducts interviews with individual refugees and families.
- Communicates with the authorities on a regular basis regarding updates on cases and changes in procedures.
- Advocates for client access to asylum procedures and process.
- Provides legal information and counseling (group and/or through individual sessions) to refugees and migrants on asylum, family reunification procedures
- Attends meetings and builds relations with legal and other partners.
- Refers refugees and forced migrants to assistance from partners as needed.
- Mentors and assists volunteer attorneys from around the world.
- Conducts legal information sessions for asylum seekers
- Meets filing and reporting requirements
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Law degree and registration with a Greek bar association.
- Minimum two years relevant work experience.
- Excellent oral and written English skills; excellent drafting, analytical and communication skills.
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. Public international law, human rights, refugee law, international relations, political science) preferred.
- Experience in representing asylum seekers and refugees before civil and criminal judicial proceedings desirable
- Knowledge of international refugee law, human rights law and application
- Knowledge of country conditions in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and other refugee producing countries preferred.
- Experience with asylum or refugee status determination procedures and emergency response preferred.
- Ability to flexibly adapt to a changing legal, emergency-response environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment.
- Please submit your resume and cover letter to our website, http://www.hias.org/career-and-internship-opportunities.
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religious creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, age, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
How to apply:
Application form can be found on the following link, after selecting the relevant position https://www.hias.org/who/career-and-internship-opportunities
Deadline: 23:59 +3GMT, 15 October, 2020
Apply to Job