NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Department:HIAS Greece**Location:**Lesvos, GR
HIAS Greece seeks an Arabic-speaking Interpreter/Community Worker based in Lesvos, Greece to provide Arabic to English and English to Arabic interpretation services in support of its program to provide legal aid to refugees seeking family reunification and asylum status. The successful candidate will have excellent working knowledge of Arabic and English. S/he will also be a liaison between the community of Arabic-speaking refugees in Lesvos and HIAS staff, including legal advisors, staff attorneys and volunteers/pro bono attorneys. In addition, the Interpreter/Community Worker will work together with the legal team to prepare and deliver public legal information training sessions to the Arabic speaking refugee community.
***This position is for 3 months with the possibility for extension, and is contingent on funding.
- Provides interpretation for Arabic speaking refugees during HIAS interviews with the legal team including intake interviews, counseling interviews, family reunification preparation interviews, admissibility preparation interviews and asylum preparation interviews.
- Conducts screening activities which include meeting with refugees and recording their basic information.
- Communicates with the legal team and provides updated information regarding trends/issues in the Arabic speaking community.
- Assists in developing and consistently updating refugee community legal education materials.
- Prepares and conducts group legal information trainings with Arabic speaking refugees.
- Conducts outreach to refugee communities, collects refugee community legal training participant contact information and conducts follow up in connection with refugee community legal trainings.
- Provides written translation of documents from Arabic to English and English to Arabic as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Experience working in humanitarian emergencies and with vulnerable people is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written English skills and excellent oral and written Arabic skills.
- Experience with asylum or refugee status determination procedures preferred.
- Ability to interact with refugees in a sensitive and understanding manner.
- Ability to adapt to fluid working environment and changing legal context.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. international law, human rights, refugee law, international relations, political science, journalism, communications, and psychology) is preferred, but not required.
- Eligibility to work in Greece is required.
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religious creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, age, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
How to apply:
Application form can be found on the following link, after selecting the relevant position https://www.hias.org/who/career-and-internship-opportunities
Deadline: 23:59 +3GMT, 15 October, 2020
Apply to Job