Uganda Country Director - Water Mission
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 5 million people in 56 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Under the direction of the Regional Director for Uganda, Kenya, and Malawi, the Uganda Country Director is responsible for carrying out the mission of Water Mission in Uganda—to honor God by developing, implementing, and sharing best-in-class safe water solutions that transform as many lives as possible, as quickly as possible. This critical position is both a calling and a career. This role is responsible for managing a diverse team of Ugandans and other international staff working in various functional groups including human resources, accounting, WASH programs, operations, project management, safety, quality, ministry, and administration. By applying sound management and leadership, this role will ensure Water Mission programs are implemented successfully according to Water Mission standards.
This role will require establishing full-time residence in Jinja, Uganda for a minimum of three (3) years. Additional short-term travel to Charleston, SC, USA (Water Mission’s Headquarters) and other regional country programs will be required in this role.
The Water Mission Uganda program is a recognized leader in the solar pumping, water treatment, remote monitoring, and community development for last mile, rural communities and refugee settings. The Uganda program has experienced rapid growth over the past five years. The new country director will be expected to expand on the established reputation of the program as both an implementor and resource to other like-minded organizations. A successful Uganda Country Director will:
- Exemplify servant leadership while upholding the vision, mission, and values (love, excellence, and integrity) of Water Mission in all aspects of program leadership
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, donors, beneficiaries, volunteers, and partner organizations
- Lead a team of over 80 full-time and part-time staff and volunteers in three offices based in Jinja, Yumbe, and Arua
- Communicate clearly and effectively to Ugandan staff and Water Mission leadership
- Track and report on country program operational performance against approved ministry tactical plan and budget
- Uphold Water Mission’s quality standards in the execution of all project activities
- Ensure that Water Mission project management and enterprise accounting systems are accurate and up to date with operational and project activities
- Manage employee relations issues (biblical discipline and performance improvement) and ensure personnel management practices are consistent with Water Mission standards
- Identify staff knowledge, skill, and ability gaps and plan employee training activities as required to improve employee performance
- Proactively engage with other organizations in the WASH sector to advance our mission and vision and evaluate people and organizations for potential ministry partnerships
- Contribute to the development of the Uganda program strategy
- Oversee preparation of written budget proposals, program proposals, and cost estimates
- Provide regular country program communication updates to Water Mission’s Headquarters regarding administrative, financial, and programmatic updates/needs
- Prepare and deliver presentations to Water Mission’s staff, the Uganda Program Board of Directors, partners, volunteers, and donors as needed
- Develop and retain talented, mission driven employees
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and Core Values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Alignment with the principles of servant leadership as embraced by Water Mission.
- Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree from an accredited university in fields such as Management, Engineering, Development or Business, Public Health, or any other related discipline.
- Proven experience managing >1,000,000 USD programs.
- At least 6+ months experience living in a developing country; African country preferred (equivalent experience will be considered).
- 7+ years in a leadership or management position with experience training, mentoring, and developing new leaders.
- Must be fluent in English; additional fluency in a local Ugandan language is welcomed.
- Construction and/or engineering project management experience preferred.
- Proven experience developing, managing, and tracking operational budgets.
- Ability to lead and thrive in an ever changing, highly fluid environment with unique obstacles.
- Leadership experience in Christian ministry, evangelism, and discipleship.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining multiple partnerships with Christian ministries, NGO’s, governments, UN organizations, and other development agencies.
- Advanced computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office 365, SharePoint).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in cross-cultural settings.
- Demonstrated office management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work through complex issues and employ reasoning skills to solve problems.
- Willingness to ask for support when necessary.
- Creative and intuitive problem-solving skills.
- Confident and experienced working with board members, volunteers, and all levels of staff.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends, when necessary.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as required according to job requirements.
How to apply:
Please apply via our online application which can be found here or at the link below.
Apply to Job