Senior Manager, Program Planning
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Contract terms: Will consider half-time or full-time candidates for a 12-month contract with possibility of extension
Location/Duty Station: Remote
Closes: 9th October 2020
Projected start date: 2nd November 2020
Reports to: Executive Director
Travel: Expected to be 10% international travel in 2021
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more 250,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need. HOT works closely with humanitarian and development partners including the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, World Bank, and UN OCHA, among others. In 2020, HOT was awarded funding from The Audacious Project. Over the next five years, this funding will enable HOT to scale up its support to local mapping communities with the aim of mapping an area home to one billion people, adding places at high risk of natural disaster or experiencing poverty.
About the Role
HOT seeks an experienced manager of large scale organizational growth and transformation projects to join our senior management team as we begin our Audacious Project journey. We’re looking for a candidate who is skilled and tactful in collaborating with senior management across multiple functional areas (for HOT, this includes Community, Partnerships, Humanitarian and Development Programs, Technology Innovation, and Administration). The role will have a high level of visibility and impact, reporting to HOT’s Executive Director, taking a leading role in organizing the planning, management, cross-team collaboration, and reporting on our Audacious Project. This role will serve as the backbone of a Project Management Office and have frequent interaction with Global HQ Directors, Regional Directors, and the HOT community. We expect this role will also indirectly manage and guide the work of HOT’s new Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning team in order to monitor and report on project progress.
Goals and Responsibilities
- Organize and lead the HOT goal setting process across all functional areas using Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) in line with our strategic plan
- Using JIRA and other project management tools, manage the overall Audacious Project work plan and cross-team dependencies in active collaboration with the Director of each functional area, identifying and highlighting what’s on track / what’s not
- Embed JIRA and project management tools and methods in HOT management processes
- Lead HOT’s evolution toward data-driven management decision making; developing clear and compelling ways for the team to be kept aware of progress and make timely decisions based on indicators across multiple areas of our work
- Rapidly come up to speed and develop a deep understanding of existing ways of working
- Tactfully motivate peers to deliver on commitments and outputs required to hit our Audacious Project milestones
- Follow-up on assertively on key dependencies, any activities falling behind schedule and identify possible mitigation strategies
- Plan and facilitate virtual workshops (weekly leadership team meetings, monthly all staff meetings, and periodic leadership working sessions)
- Lead the org-wide coordination required for drafting the Audacious Project Year 1 report for the period ending June 30, 2021 with support from Communications
- Provide indirect management and guidance to the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning team as it relates to monitoring and reporting on Key Results
- Support HOT’s four regional Hub Directors to create and manage effective project plans
Women and candidates from HOT’s Audacious Project priority countries are especially encouraged to apply.
- Able to strategize on the big-picture, suggest ways to translate plans into tactical actions, while also not losing track of interconnected, detailed activities
- Highly organized and skilled at early identification of issues and dependencies in complex projects
- Enjoy organizing and facilitating group workshops using a variety of methods, interacting with staff at all levels of the organization, and being assertive in motivating others.
- Demonstrated successes leading components of large scale organizational change initiatives, especially those involving international expansion
- Prior experience setting and managing a team’s or organization’s Objectives and Key Results, Key Performance Indicators, and other methodologies for setting and monitoring organizational impact
- Highly fluent with cloud based collaboration tools (Google Suite, JIRA, Slack, etc.)
- A minimum of 5-10 years project management experience for technology-focused projects or organizations
- University degree or additional similar time-length (3 years) relevant professional experience in lieu
- Demonstrated experience in digital development / ICT4D and/or open data projects
- Masters degree/MBA
- Project management certification (PMP, PMI-ACP, or other)
- Experience in consulting or rapidly growing startup environments
- Process mapping
- Experience running long meetings and workshops with online collaboration tools and user-centred design methodologies e.g. Miro, Mural
- Proficiency in languages other than English, especially French and Spanish
Compensation & Benefits
- HOT values salary transparency and equity. All HOT salaries globally are set according to a framework detailed on our website.
- HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, a variety of health care options, retirement savings plans, and 24 days of annual leave for all full-time employees, in addition to 12 paid holidays.
How to apply:
Please complete the form linked here. Continue to the second page to upload your CV/resume. Your CV/resume should not exceed 2 pages. If invited to an interview, expect to hear by mid to late October via email. Please check junk/spam folder.
Apply to Job